Wither's Legacy (Horror)

April 7 2006 at 12:12 PM
John Passarella  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

h0743484797_l

Wither's Legacy
by John Passarella
Buy book: $7.19

After destroying Elizabeth Wither, the leader of a murderous coven of witches, Wendy Ward thought the ancient evil had been defeated. But Wither cursed Wendy, and now the young Wiccan must use her gifts to defeat a flesh-eating monster.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

What Makes Wither Work

April 11 2006, 12:16 PM 

What I really enjoy about Jack's writing...and it's in abundance with "Wither's Legacy"...is how well he handles the characters. There's plenty of intriguing horror, yes, but maybe more importantly are the human touches. Wendy's not just the protagonist; she's someone we can invest ourselves in. That's always the mark of an exceptional story to me.

Respond to this message   
Huntress Reviews
(no login)

Agreed and...

April 12 2006, 3:46 AM 

the author seems to have a way of making ALL the characters believable. He gives them little personal tics or quirks; a personality. I look for that in a book or movie. (Look at Disney's Beauty & the Beast for example. Belle is always brushing that stray lock of hair off her forehead.)

Because the author's characters are believable, the reader gets drawn into the story quickly. I was stuck to the tale tighter than Super Glue!

Respond to this message   
Erica
(no login)

Horrible...

April 12 2006, 8:46 AM 

This selection seems disconnected, and almost as if it was written by a teenager.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Typesetting would help

April 12 2006, 1:36 PM 

Hi, Erica -

I'm the author of WITHER'S LEGACY, which is the third book in the Wendy Ward series. Sorry you feel that way. Looking at the individual pieces of the story sent through e-mail, I can see how it could be jarring. There is a brief, seemingly unrelated prologue. Then there are three locations in three days of email, plus a dream-flashback scene thrown in and a missing image of a handwritten note. Text-only mail limits what you can do to clarify things in professional typesetting. In the book, italics is used for the dream sequences and that really helps transitions between the here-and-now and what a character is remembering.

Because I wanted each book to stand on its own, there are flashbacks to important events (which become clear later on) from previous books.

I have what amounts to this five-day excerpt and more, in a typeset fashion on my website at passarella.com as an excerpt on my WITHER'S LEGACY page. Reading it all together, where italics is used when appropriate to signify transitions, you may have a more favorable impression overall. At least I hope so! :-)

Thank you,
John Passarella

Respond to this message   
Erica
(no login)

Website

April 13 2006, 8:19 AM 

John,

I will definitely check out the selection on your website.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Enjoy

April 27 2006, 1:12 PM 

I thought it was very good. I have never read any of your books. Because of what I just read I would like to read all of your books. I need to start with the first book in this series. But I have one problem. I need them in large print.
I got to find out what happen to Hannah.

Respond to this message   
Huntress Reviews
(no login)

Have you ever tried the author before?

April 13 2006, 12:07 AM 

I have read all of his books and have yet to be disappointed. (And I have had to give bad reviews out for authors I love many times before.)

If horror is not your thing, try the upcoming Mystery Thriller titled "Kindred Spirit". (About twins...one is murdered and the other is investigating.) It comes out in only another month or so. Perhaps it will be more your style.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Re: Wither's Legacy (Horror)

April 14 2006, 3:20 PM 

Admittedly, the characters are well written. Out of morbid curiosity I may have to check out the series because novels on witchcraft are not normally my fair. I am often dissappointed by the extremely stereotypical wrong represntations of witchcraft as represented by mass media. The Craft is a good example. Strong charcters, terrible presentation of the use of witchcraft. Overdramatic and rather impossible. The stuff of horror movies (which sadly is what they are marketed for). The media makes witcxhcraft unbelievable. And in the sense that people percieve it in novels and movies, it is very unreal.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Checking out the WITHER series

April 16 2006, 12:01 PM 

Hi, Abigail -

This is John Passarella, the author of WITHER'S LEGACY, WITHER'S RAIN, and co-author of WITHER, which won the Bram Stoker Award for First Novel. You may be interested to know that some of the biggest fans of my Wendy Ward series are themselves Wiccans and Pagans. I know it's all too easy to portray witches as users of black magic, evil, etc. Wendy is nothing like that. And the "witches" in Wither, when you get down to it are not really witches, in the true or classic sense, but are instead demonic creatures. The history of the fictional town of Windale records them as witches mainly because they could not understand what they truly were.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy WITHER, and the rest of the series. My next book, KINDRED SPIRIT (JUNE 2006), is a paranormal thriller and unrelated to the WITHER saga.

Thanks for reading!
-John "Jack" Passarella

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Wither's Legacy (Horror)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.