<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  

The Secret Garden (The Penguin Classics) Week 1 of 4

April 7 2006 at 12:19 PM
Frances Hodgson Burne  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

cl0142437050_l

The Secret Garden
by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Mary Lennox has no one left in the world when she arrives at Misselthwaite Manor, her mysterious uncle's enormous, drafty mansion looming on the edge of the moors. A cholera epidemic has ravaged the Indian village in which she was born, killing both her parents and the "Ayah," or Indian servant, who cared for her. Not that being alone is new to her. Her socialite mother had no time between parties for Mary, and her father was both too ill and too occupied by his work to raise his daughter. Not long after coming to live with her uncle, Mr. Craven, Mary discovers a walled garden, neglected and in ruins. Soon she meets her servant Martha's brother Dickon, a robust country boy nourished both by his mother's love and by the natural surroundings of the countryside; and her tyrannical cousin Colin, whose mother died giving birth to him. So traumatized was Mr. Craven by the sudden death of his beloved wife that he effectively abandoned the infant Colin and buried the keys to the garden that she adored. His son has grown into a self-loathing hypochondriacal child whose tantrums strike fear into the hearts of servants. The lush garden is now overgrown and all are forbidden to enter it. No one can even remember where the door is, until a robin leads Mary to its hidden key. It is in the "secret garden," and with the help of Dickon, that Mary and Colin find the path to physical and spiritual health. Along the way the three children discover that in their imaginations-called "magic" by Colin-is the power to transform lives.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

secret garden

April 10 2006, 4:50 AM 

this is a wonderful book which i recommend to adults and children. i discovered it by accident, having heard a partial episode on the car radio years before. (it was the episode where the robin finds the key.) i was an adult when i found the book in a library, & was so thrilled to read the whole story. i bought my own copy. i also own the video (hallmark hall of fame) starring derek jacobi.

Respond to this message   

(Login lasergal39)

Secret Garden

April 10 2006, 12:10 PM 

I am so happy and pleased this book was chosen. I read this book for the first time several years ago when i was in my early30's. I loved it so. It is a truly beautiful book. I love Burnetts style. I read the Little Princess so much as a child that I wore the front cover out.It was one of favorite books, obviously.Secret Garden is wonderful!

Sue Mont

Respond to this message   

(no login)

One of my Favorites

April 11 2006, 10:18 AM 

I have always loved this book. I got it as a child at a school book fair and lost it and finally replaced it as an adult. I love it that much. It teachs so many lessons about friendship, caring, and of course believing in yourself that it is perfect for both children and adults. And although I have seen most of the movies made over the years none of them do it justice. I have since bought it for my nieces and the older one cares it around like the treasure that it is.

Respond to this message   

(Login AngelaKathleen)

A True Classic

April 11 2006, 8:07 PM 

I am so glad this book is included in the Classics section. I loved it many years ago as well as Little Princess. Every little girl should have these books in her "library".

Angela

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Re: The Secret Garden (The Penguin Classics) Week 1 of 4

April 11 2006, 10:35 PM 

I have never read this book.I have heard other people talk about it,but never had the chane to read it.I am going to read this book on spring vacation and won't stop reading until I'm done.Thanks for the head start on the book.It sounds like a very good book.

Respond to this message   

(Login ConHorne)

The Secret Garden

April 12 2006, 11:05 AM 

Well, I thought I had read this book as a child. Now, I am not so sure. I have reserved this book at the library and will finish it. It has been wonderful discovering this book!

Respond to this message   
Carol
(no login)

Re: The Secret Garden (The Penguin Classics) Week 1 of 4

April 14 2006, 3:11 PM 

I loved this book as a child and read it about 7 times(one of the few books I actually owned-my mom believed in the library whenever possible).I got something more out of it each time I read it as I got older. I bet the same thing will happen this time, because I'm going for #8.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - The Secret Garden (The Penguin Classics) Week 1 of 4
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.