Eden Close (Fiction)

May 26 2006 at 11:21 AM
Anita Shreve  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

f0156031337_l

Eden Close
by Anita Shreve
Buy book: $10.22

Andrew, after many years, returns to his hometown to attend his mother's funeral. Planning to remain only a few days, he is drawn into the tragic legacy of his childhood friend and beautiful girl next door, Eden Close. An adopted child, Eden had learned to avoid the mother who did not want her and to please the father who did. She also aimed to please Andrew and his friends, first by being one of the boys and later by seducing them. Then one hot night, Andrew was awakened by gunshots and piercing screams from the next farm: Mr. Close had been killed and Eden blinded.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Doris
(no login)

Eden Close -

May 30 2006, 12:20 AM 

Just read the first two reads - delicious writing - tho' the subject matter does not sound to be the same - will have to wait and see what follows that first night and the night twenty years later -

Respond to this message   
Jenny
(no login)

First 2 installments

May 30 2006, 4:05 PM 

Has my attention so far... I can't wait to read tomorrows installment. I enjoyed Ms. Shreve's The Pilot's Wife, also.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

A good read so far

May 30 2006, 5:08 PM 

Always noting the structure of works of fiction, I love the way Anita Shreve had her character reluctantly tug himself out of his dream (which told so much about his early life, and that of his parents) and then find himself in the present, presumably ready to face his mother's funeral. A clever way of allowing a dream-flashback to develop exposition. I'll definitely continue reading, and perhaps reserve a copy from my library (as I've done so many times after getting hooked on one of Suzanne's selections).

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Re: A good read so far

May 30 2006, 10:15 PM 

I got my copy from library today - along with the mystery Therapy for this week -

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Eden Close

June 2 2006, 7:32 AM 

I have read all five installments. Have reserved a copy from the library which is already reserved for someone else. We need more good stories like this.

Respond to this message   
Dorothea H
(no login)

Anita Shreve

May 31 2006, 4:37 PM 

I recently read Light On Snow and it was very good, but I wouldn't normally pick up this book with the plot synopsis sounding so sensationalist. So it's a good thing we have this book club to help us keep an open mind!

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Eden Close -

May 31 2006, 9:59 PM 

Have my book from library and am about half way through - this book is in my opinion absolutely wonderfull - great writing with spell binding story and characters and environment so real I feel I am there beside them - and this was her first novel (1989) - and my first novel read by her, tho' I know she has written many since - will be glad to know the true story, but at the same time hate to see it come to an end -

Hope some of you out there enjoy as well -

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Eden Close (Fiction)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.