<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  

The Snow Fox (Fiction)

June 9 2006 at 11:16 AM
Susan Fromberg Schaeffer  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

f039305814X_l

The Snow Fox
by Susan Fromberg Schaeffer
Buy book: $14.96

A great samurai and a beautiful poet fall in love in a novel that captures medieval Japan in breathtaking detail. The heartbreaking story of their renewed love is fraught by the Japanese concept of "mono no aware"--life's ephemeral nature--that weighs on the lovers.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Doris
(no login)

Snow Fox -

June 12 2006, 1:19 PM 

Was not sure this would appeal to me, but after reading today's first read, immediately put a hold on it from my library - what was the name of the book and movie with Richard Chamberlain years ago? - (which I loved) - Sumari --- ?

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Sho-Gun??

June 12 2006, 6:52 PM 

I think the movie you are referring to was called Sho-Gun. I read the book and watched the movie many years ago. Both were great. I just bought my oldest son a copy of the book, because he is such a fan of that Tom Cruise movie "The Last Samurai" and has recently taken up reading.
I also thought of this (Sho-Gun) book while reading this excerpt from this new book. I think I may be hooked also !!!

Respond to this message   
carol
(no login)

Snow Fox

June 13 2006, 10:43 AM 

I agree with you. There are so many unanswered questions that I am intrigued to read on.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

I'm sold

June 14 2006, 10:53 PM 

I have the book in hand and look forward to finishing it. I was intrigued by the description, and so far it has not disappointed.

Respond to this message   
Missy
(no login)

Re: The Snow Fox (Fiction)

June 14 2006, 11:18 PM 

I'm very surprised, too, that I like this book as much as I do. I normally don't like historical fiction but there's something about this story that has really caught my interest. I can't wait to either buy the book or check it out from my library.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

snow fox

June 17 2006, 7:04 AM 

having lived in Japan, i find this chapter whisked me away to the land i loved then and love still today.

one knows of those things that one does not often speak of....but this opening brings those things to our mind early on...

i do think i will read the rest of this story...from what i have read it seems to be leading to a place i would like to venture

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Snow Fox -

June 17 2006, 1:09 PM 

I, too, have the book and have started it and read past the point of our 5 reads - what can I say about the writing except it is beautifully written even when about tragedy - the succintness and quietness remind me of a gentle rain - (see, I am becoming as one with the characters) - "it restoreth my soul" -

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Snow Fox - 2 -

June 17 2006, 4:55 PM 

The particular passage (the one that moved me so much) I was referring to in my earlier response today was Chapters 1, 2, and 3 - the mood has changed but I am still enjoying very much -

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

movie - The Last Samurai -

June 19 2006, 11:55 AM 

Watched most of that move with gr.dtr. last nite on tv - missed some of the beginning - now must research the movie and/or book - I am so lacking in history - but books do make me go back and research and add to my knowledge at least in part -
(a smart ---- remark, have you noticed in Tom Cruise's movies, no matter how much he suffers or is tortured, he still looks the same?) - just a light aside -

Respond to this message   
pam m
(no login)

tom cruise

June 22 2006, 8:43 AM 

Yes Doris I have noticed that about Tom. Also if he is being interviewed. Interviewer needs to wear sunglasses to protect from the blinding glare off his teeth!

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - The Snow Fox (Fiction)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.