<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  

Riley's Fire (Teen)

August 4 2006 at 1:00 PM
Lee Merrill Byrd  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

t1565124979_l

Riley's Fire
by Lee Merrill Byrd

Riley Martin, an adventurous, inquisitive seven-year old boy, is the hero of this immensely satisfying novel set in the isolated universe of Galveston’ s original Shriners Burns Institute. It’ s here that Riley is being treated for third-degree burns over 63 percent of his face and body. It’ s here that he and his parents meet the future— his and theirs.

This message has been edited by chapteraday on Aug 4, 2006 1:02 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
pam m
(no login)

riley

August 7 2006, 9:07 AM 

great start!

Respond to this message   
Sheliza
(no login)

Re: riley

August 7 2006, 3:37 PM 

Boring Interdoctury. This is a TEEN book club so why are we reading about 7 year olds. I want a more mature main character

Respond to this message   
Emily
(no login)

August 7 2006, 9:37 PM 

Sheliza-
I think that a lot of people think like that when they hear that a book is about a kid that's younger than us. But, sometimes, a book can be about someone younger, but not suitable for a younger audience- either because of the vocabulary that is used or just the material in general. Maybe this is one of these books... I don't think a 7 year old would enjoy reading about a kid with third degree burns.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

August 8 2006, 5:32 PM 

I agree with you. The books main idea is great, but there is to much chit chat.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

I don't like it.

August 8 2006, 12:47 PM 

So far, its just Parents talking to their tragic, burned kid. That's it. All chit chat. I'm thinking that we need a bit more verbs that AREN'T in quotation marks. I know I'm supposed to be touched by how loyal Riley's parents are, but I'm not feeling it.

Respond to this message   
Mimi
(no login)

A little depressing, and boring

August 9 2006, 3:59 PM 

I agree with whoever said that this book is too much talking. I'm not much of a fan of "healing" books. I'm much more into adventure, especially historical and fantasy. But this book is great if I want to feel sad.

This message has been edited by chapteraday on Aug 9, 2006 6:02 PM

Respond to this message   
l.s.l.w.
(no login)

well....

August 10 2006, 11:13 AM 

yall are right, too much chit chat. im tired of riley's parents constantley talking about where they go, what they do, and what they say! i mean honestly, WHO CARES! but i like reading about younger kids. it doesnt bother me. i like reading about riley because he is hurt, and i want to know what happens to him. although, im sure he will be fine, it is a teen's book and i doubt he will die. i thought it had a good first couple chapters, but then it got to all the talking as in what the parents are doing blah blah then them saying riley? RILEY? i want to hear about RILEY! not what the parents are feeling, doing, talking about, or anything like that. i want to hear about riley? anyone agree?

Respond to this message   
Bumble
(no login)

Mimi's got it right

August 10 2006, 11:47 AM 

For summer reading I like a bit of entertainment. This is a bit dark for the sunny days of August.

Respond to this message   
Kay
(no login)

I agree with bumble and mimi

August 10 2006, 9:17 PM 

It's pretty depressig right now and doesn't really entertain me...at all....It's not really right for the summer (in my opinion).

Respond to this message   
Giraffe
(no login)

Riley's Fire

August 10 2006, 8:49 PM 

WHAT is up with 'Riley! RILEY!!!'?????. It makes absolutely NO sense. I think that this book is dull. NOTHING is happening. I could care less what the parents were doing. What about Riley?!!!!!! I decided that I am not going to read the rest of the book. I know that sometimes the beginning of a book can be slow, but COME ON!!!!! This book is ridiculously slow. Riley's Fire sounded good from the description, but it was totally misleading. I've written enough now. Please tell me if you agree/disagree with me:)

Respond to this message   
Maggie
(no login)

I Disagree

August 11 2006, 6:11 PM 

I know the book has tons of talking, but I think it's a very accurate portrayal of what it would be like to be the parents of a burn victim. The first few days in the hospital are a time of adjustment. Riley is probably heavily sedated and his parents are talking to him so that he feels connected. They probably are worried that he could die. I like the way we are introduced to Riley and his personality without him actually being "present". I want to get this book out of the library and finish it.

Respond to this message   
pam m
(no login)

riley

August 12 2006, 8:53 AM 

very disappointed in this book - went downhill after day 1

Respond to this message   
l.s.l.w.
(no login)

giraffe i said the like same thing u did!

August 29 2006, 4:53 PM 

lol! i totally agree, giraffe.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.