Out of Gas (NonFiction)

September 1 2006 at 1:06 PM
David Goodstein  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

n0393326470_l

Out of Gas
by David Goodstein
Buy book: $10.60

With its easy-to-grasp explanations of the science behind every aspect of our most urgent environmental policy decisions, "Out of Gas" is a handbook for the future of civilization.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Marlene
(no login)

Disappearing Safe Environment

September 4 2006, 7:54 AM 

The opening of this book reinforces what Al Gore (and many other people)has been trying to tell the American public - we must find a way to decrease global warming and find other fuel alternatives.
Why can't our government get that message?

Respond to this message   

(no login)

About Time

September 4 2006, 1:36 PM 

Back in the 1960's when I was in college, my generation warned about dependence on oil and other natural fuel sources that could be exhausted. It has been disappointing to see that this generation, who should have done and be doing something about this problem, has accomplished little or nothing.

Respond to this message   
Lorinda
(no login)

Re: About Time

September 7 2006, 6:20 AM 

What timing for this book with the new find in the Gulf of Mexico. Living near there, I guess I am not looking forward to the "fallout." Global warming is such an issue-one that was ignored for so long.

Respond to this message   
Irene
(no login)

scary

September 7 2006, 8:46 AM 

One reason our Gov`t can`t get the message is that so many of them are in the oil business and have made large fortunes. They probably don`t believe the science either, any more than they believe in global warming. And they love to use the looming depletion of oil as an excuse to drill in the ANWAR, as if that were going to save the world!

Respond to this message   
Irene (again)
(no login)

still scary

September 8 2006, 8:28 AM 

Has anyone thought of sending a copy of this book to Pres. Bush and copies to others of the "oil crowd" that are currently in gov`t "service"???????????????? Although I am not certain that they can all read!

Respond to this message   

(no login)

bestfriends for never

September 9 2006, 11:05 AM 

i can't believe that book was so interesting i just love this book because it is about girls in their teenage years. i think people should read this book and the rest of the series.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

We are doomed

September 8 2006, 11:49 AM 

I agree with the author. There isn't any energy source other than solar that will come without a dire consequence. we will either figure out a way to sustain our civilization on solar alone or accept our doomed fate. Why can't intelligent human beings advance our civilization by living peacefully with the nature in stead of incessively taking from the nature.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Re Out of Gas

September 12 2006, 10:55 AM 

I'd rate this as good and informative, but still introductory primer to the subject--or perhaps just what that wait-till-the-last-minute middle schooler is looking for in a less-meaty report source--when compared to such titles as Paul Roberts "End of Oil," published in 2004. Both are wake-up calls for America; but are we listening even now...

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Out of Gas (NonFiction)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.