Three Day Road (Fiction)

March 9 2007 at 10:54 AM
Joseph Boyden  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

f0143037072_l

Three Day Road
by Joseph Boyden
Buy book: $10.91

In this powerful and mesmerizing debut, Joseph Boyden reinvents the tradition of Great War epics like All Quiet on the Western Front and Birdsong. It is 1919 and Niska, an Oji- Cree medicine woman, has left her home in the bush of northern Ontario to retrieve Xavier Bird, her only relation, who has returned from the trenches of Europe. Gravely wounded and addicted to morphine, Xavier recounts how he and his best friend, Elijah Whiskeyjack, prowled the battlefields as snipers of enormous skill—and how the circumstances of their deadly craft led them to very different fates. Told with unblinking focus, this is a stunning tale of brutality, survival, and rebirth that marks the arrival of a prodigious new talent.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

Connecting to WWI

March 12 2007, 2:26 PM 

I enjoyed this introduction...very evocative of another time and place. I will read on. I have to think how lucky my own grandfather was in WWI. At 17, he left Montana for his adventure in France. He was lucky in his posting as an aide (he was well educated)to a general in a chateau. Now that I am older, I wish I had asked my grandfather for more details. Although as a lawyer, my grandfather had the means to travel abroad, this WWI trip to France was his only foreign trip.

Respond to this message   
Shelley
(no login)

Three Day Road

March 17 2007, 11:14 AM 

I saw this author speak at a lecture series in my town. He was excellent.It's too bad more people didn't pick up on this read.

Respond to this message   
Alexis
(no login)

Re: Three Day Road (Fiction)

October 12 2007, 8:59 PM 

I was mesmerized by the story and the storytelling. This, in my opinion, will one day be recognized as a classic. I had given it to a friend in France who has now asked me to supply her with my reading list, so greatly was she impressed by this book.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Three Day Road (Fiction)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.