Iron Ties (Mystery)

April 8 2007 at 8:38 PM
Ann Parker  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

m1590582624_l

Iron Ties
by Ann Parker
Buy book: $17.71

In the Colorado boom town of Leadville in 1880, Inez Stannert has mixed feelings about President Ulysses S. Grant's upcoming visit to celebrate the arrival of the railroad. She fears that the actions of some folks with wicked memories of the war just might signal a return of lawlessness to the town.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Irene
(no login)

Iron Ties

April 10 2007, 8:19 AM 

Reading Day 2. Already gripping!! Looking forward to next day.

Respond to this message   
Susan
(Login pandorasbox2006)

Iron Ties

April 10 2007, 1:55 PM 

A good start, I'm looking forward to Day 3.

Respond to this message   
peg
(no login)

Colorado scenery

April 10 2007, 9:05 PM 

As a native Coloradoan I'm looking forward to enjoying this book and checking out the first book in the series. However, the repeated references to the "thin air" and "scrawny trees" seem a bit overdone.

Respond to this message   
Ann Parker
(no login)

Author of Iron Ties moseying by ....

April 11 2007, 2:09 AM 

Hello Irene and Susan (and other readers of this forum),
Glad to see that you're enjoying Iron Ties so far! I must admit, it's a curious sensation to see bits of my own book pop up in my email every morning. The old internal editor kicks in and I have to kick back hard when that little voice murmurs, "Ah, you *should* have edited that phrase" or "you *could* have said such-and-such." As a friend of mine likes to say: "Coulda, woulda, shoulda..."
What's past is past, right? (Probably a good motto for a historical fiction writer...)
Questions, anyone? Comments? Be sure and speak up. I'll be dropping in on the Forum, this week and next, and would love to chat.
Ann Parker, author of IRON TIES, http://www.annparker.net

Respond to this message   
Debbie
(no login)

Iron Ties

April 12 2007, 11:44 AM 

I don't usually read a mystery set in a different time period, but as soon as I saw it was set in Leadville I was hooked. I love Colorado and just visiting Leadville I can imagine what it must have been like long ago. I am looking forward to picking this one up.

Respond to this message   
Jeanie
(no login)

Iron Ties

April 12 2007, 3:43 PM 

Really enjoying the book so far. I live in Denver and one of my favorite places in Colorado is Leadville. The town and its history are so interesting.

Respond to this message   
Ann Parker
(no login)

Setting and the muse ...

April 13 2007, 1:58 AM 

Hello everyone, Ann Parker (author of Iron Ties) back again.
It's interesting to me to see how several of your comments remark on the setting of Leadville as being a "hook" for catching your interest.
From what I've observed, it seems that different authors come to their stories by different paths: For some, a character "walks in" and is the impetus for writing. For others, it may be a "what if" scenario of some kind. For yet others it's a place, real or imaginary, that calls to them. As you might have guessed, for me, it is the latter. I fell in love with Leadville -- what it is and what it was -- and that passion is what drives me even now as I work on the third Silver Rush book (although the characters are also clamoring...).
It's a hypothesis, in any case, and when reading other authors, I try to guess what "muse" called first to them, to intuit where their primary passions lie. I think the answer often comes through in the writing...
And Peg -- re: the thin air and trees ... Good catch! I think you found one of my "coulda, would, shoulda" bits (see my first post here). I'll have to keep this in mind as I make my way through Silver Rush #3. Thanks!
Ann Parker, http://www.annparker.net

Respond to this message   
Irene
(no login)

responding to Ann`s theories

April 14 2007, 1:43 PM 

I too have visited Leadville, but it was over 4o years ago so I`m sure much has changed. I too loved the history of the old mining towns and reading a mystery based on the history is a pleasure, I am finding. I don`t care where a writer gets his or her muse as long as they can hold my interest. I have been a mystery fan since about the age of 10, but recently I have found (often through Suzanne`s book club) some fascinating non-fiction, which has kept me from the mysteries. Thank you for an interesting book, and I do plan to find it and read the rest of the book asap!

Respond to this message   
Ann Parker
(no login)

Thank you

April 17 2007, 12:09 AM 

Thank you, Irene, for your comments and your encouragement. Happy readers make my day! I hope you enjoy the rest of the book as well...
And thank you, everyone, for coming along for the Iron Ties read!
Perhaps I'll see some of you (virtually speaking) here or there in other DearReader forums. I'm afraid DearReader is proving dangerous to my to-be-read lists!

-- Ann Parker, author of Iron Ties
http://www.annparker.net

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.