Lovesick Blues (NonFiction)

June 1 2007 at 5:02 PM
Paul Hemphill  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

n0143037714_l

Lovesick Blues
by Paul Hemphill
Buy book: $11.19

Hank Williams' story reads like fiction: dirt-poor beginnings as a sickly child, learning music from a black street singer and refining it in raucous honky-tonks during the Depression, and emerging as a Grand Ole Opry star. He mined his experiences to write songs that will live forever.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Joe
(no login)

Loved the book

June 4 2007, 9:44 PM 

I found this book by accident in the library of the university where my daughter was getting her degree in music. I can assure you, it was NOT part of the cirriculum--but should have been. Hank has made a deep impression in American music, and if you don't believe that, wait until you get to the part where Tony Bennett was offered one of Hank's songs--by Mitch Miller!
As I read the book, I fopund myself saying "I didn't know that" over and over. (Hank and Harper Lee were once neighbors?)

It is a small book--compared to the subject--but all the important stuff is there.

Respond to this message   
Irene
(no login)

Hank Williams

June 5 2007, 7:58 AM 

I was not a country music fan at the time of Hank Williams popularity. However I have since become interested in many of the big names from that era. This book is really interesting me and I think I will have to pursue reading the whole book. Meawhile I am enjoying reading it in the book club.

Respond to this message   
Sharon
(no login)

Had to Buy It

June 6 2007, 10:45 AM 

Three chapters into this book (via the book club), I knew I had to own a copy. Hemphill does a great job painting the atmosphere of the South and the grit of the characters. I can't wait to read the rest.

Respond to this message   
Irene
(no login)

Lovesick

June 8 2007, 8:24 AM 

I can`t wait to get this book and read the rest of it. Mr. Williams was very influential in music circles during his very brief life. I have always enjoyed biographies, particularly of people in the music field.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Hank Williams -

June 8 2007, 10:13 AM 

Just read the five reads of the week - great book - will definitely be getting it from my library - glad to hear of his life from the very beginning - remember in my early teens hearing and singing "Lovesick Blues" - being from the south myself, tho' not Alabama, the author transported me back to a younger place and time - his writing evoked emotions of the time as well -

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Lovesick Blues (NonFiction)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.