Halfway House (Fiction)

July 6 2007 at 5:10 PM
Katharine Noel  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

f0871139340_l

Halfway House
by Katharine Noel
Buy book: $14.94

Set in a small town in New Hampshire, this novel is the story of a girl's psychotic break and her family's subsequent turmoil. With grace and precision rarely seen in a first novel, Noel guides readers through a world where love is imperfect, and where longing for an imagined ideal can both destroy one family's happiness and offer redemption.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Doris
(no login)

Re: Halfway House (Fiction)

July 9 2007, 10:18 AM 

Sounds interesting - family drama, etc. - another one my library does not have - will see how the rest of the week goes before I "invest" in it -

Respond to this message   
Regina
(no login)

First Impression

July 9 2007, 12:08 PM 

I am rather excited about this book. As an individual on medication for years and the relative of a person who is bi-polar, I think this book could prove to be quite powerful for me. I already like the insertions of the quirky behavior and the father's inclination to dismiss it was teenaged behavior. I also like the description of household items that are not fuly functional.

Respond to this message   
Regina
(no login)

Mania

July 10 2007, 5:15 PM 

The stream of consciousness coming from our protagonist seems interesting. I'm not sure if I can relate to the father's reaction.

Respond to this message   
Kari
(no login)

good

July 10 2007, 6:01 PM 

I like it and I might check it out and read the rest of it.

Respond to this message   
Julie
(no login)

Halfway House

July 11 2007, 4:55 PM 

OK - I'm hooked. My library is open until 9 so I am headed there tonight ot pick up their copy!

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Caught

July 12 2007, 12:43 AM 

Today's read really caught my interest! I'm definitely pursuing this book -- hopefully my library will have a copy available. I'm thinking I might also make some zucchini bisque!!

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Halfway House -

July 13 2007, 9:25 AM 

The transition from yesterday's read to today's felt sparadic to me - did they skip some? - Thought I was going to get this book but now am not so sure if the writing continues this way - perhaps we will be enlightened about the 3 months between the scene at the pool to where she is now - I know, I know - she had a breakdown and is now in the "halfway house" - but feel the meat was left out - are they next going to say - "she got better and went home - the end" ? - Am I the only one who felt this way? - Doris -

Respond to this message   
Kari
(no login)

i agree

July 16 2007, 6:57 PM 

You are right, it did seem like they skipped a part there. I just assumed that something that happened at the swimming pool caused her to get in the halfway house and they will flash back to what happened at the swimming pool a bit later. I have the book ordered from another library so I guess i'll find out when i read it. :-)

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Halfway House (Fiction)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.