Before I Wake (Fiction)

September 29 2007 at 2:38 PM
Robert J. Wiersema  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

f0312363184_l

Before I Wake
by Robert J. Wiersema
Buy book: $14.25

Weaving together disparate voices, Wiersema's brilliant debut novel sheds light on the inner lives of characters struggling against tragedy, finding each other, and themselves, in the darkness of unimaginable sorrow.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Maureen
(Login IrishM)

Already a downer

October 1 2007, 11:06 AM 

Oh my goodness, this story is already sad in the first installment. But it seems well written and has me wondering what to expect tomorrow...

Respond to this message   
Melissa
(Login purblueple)

Re: Before I Wake (Fiction)

October 1 2007, 12:18 PM 

Immediately compelling.

Respond to this message   
Heather
(Login hfrazier)

New Book

October 1 2007, 1:57 PM 

I'm looking forward to this book more. Its an interesting premise and looks to be a book I would have picked up at the library.

Respond to this message   
Nicole
(no login)

This one is going to make me cry...

October 1 2007, 2:00 PM 

I have a 3 year old boy, so this book is definitely going to make me cry. He's having some play time in his room right now, and I think I'm going to go hug him. I almost don't want to know what's going to happen on day 2 of our read...

Respond to this message   
Liz
(no login)

A mother's worst nightmare

October 2 2007, 6:48 AM 

day 2 and I am hooked and both days it has ended and I've been thinking, "Oh, NOOO....keep going... !!!"

Respond to this message   
Krista
(no login)

Can't help but wonder...

October 2 2007, 12:18 PM 

So far, it's one of those books that makes you feel like you just HAVE to know what happens next!

Respond to this message   
Heather
(Login hfrazier)

I'm hooked

October 3 2007, 9:57 AM 

I want to know what happens. I've been anxiously awaiting the next installment.

Respond to this message   
Stephanie Kempf
(no login)

Before I Wake

October 3 2007, 11:38 AM 

First installment made me want to cry and it sent fear down my spine -- what if something like that happened to me . . . By the 3rd installment, still feeling the tragedy, but not sure if it is a book I could finish, seems to dark/sorrowful for me. Also, I don't think I like how it bounces from person to person.

Respond to this message   
Liz
(no login)

choppy

October 4 2007, 5:55 PM 

I thought today esp it seemed a little choppy, going so quickly from person to person, but I am still very intrigued. Of course I want to know how "Mary" figures in, but I can already guess. I have to get this book! My library doesn't have it :(

Respond to this message   
shirley Tucker
(no login)

surprise and excitement

October 4 2007, 1:18 AM 

The first page got my attention--Jubilee hospital--Hillside mall -the author is talking about my home town.!!!
I suppose all the libraries suggest books that are read on-line --but it is a surprise ---just as the Emily Carr story was a surprise.
The second day's reading confirmed the fact that the author and the story were from Victoria B.C.
I certainly will try to get a copy from the library --I am reading two of your selections -from the library-at the present time--Thank you Suzanne

Respond to this message   
Liz
(no login)

Question for Shirley

October 4 2007, 5:53 PM 

Shirley, what is the Emily Carr story you mentioned? I just finished Susan Vreeland's The Forest Lover (hist fiction about Emily Carr) not too long ago and loved it but I didn't see it here?

Respond to this message   
Liz
(no login)

Fri

October 5 2007, 6:51 AM 

I HAVE to get this book, now. I cannot stand to be left hanging. I hope the rest of the book supports the excellent start!

Respond to this message   
Gretchen
(no login)

Before I Wake....

October 4 2007, 10:45 PM 

I will definetly get this book. Can't wait to see what happens.

Respond to this message   
Kari
(no login)

wow

October 9 2007, 12:26 AM 

I want to keep reading...I guess i'll just have to check the book out to finish the rest of it. :-)

Respond to this message   
Kathy
(no login)

Before I Wake

October 12 2007, 1:33 PM 

From the begining this book had me captivated. I checked out the book from the library; I haven't been able to put it down! I cried with Karen about her little girl. She is very brave. I can't believe her husband! As I am reading his part of the story I am thinking to myself; 'What a Jerk! How dare him!' This book has touched me deeply. I know this book is sad, but I recommend this book to everyone. It is really a good book.

: )
Kathy

Respond to this message   
Marcille
(no login)

POV

October 23 2007, 8:46 AM 

I read the book. I was interested in the POV choice. At first I thought there would be a few first person POV and I'm interested in that because I'm trying to use 4 first person POV in my work in progress. I did find there were too many voices here though.

Also, as the story progressed, it did not go where I expected it to. It had a little DaVinci mystery thing going and I think if it had continued with the human element it would have been stronger.

Still, it was a compelling read and kept my interest throughout.

Also, I found the parents a little too civil under the circumstances to be believable.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.