<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  

The Brain That Changes Itself (NonFiction)

November 4 2007 at 8:01 PM
Norman Doidge  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

n067003830X_l

The Brain That Changes Itself
by Norman Doidge
Buy book: $15.71

An astonishing new science called neuroplasticity is overthrowing the centuries-old notion that the human brain is immutable. Psychiatrist and psychoanalyst, Norman Doidge, M.D., traveled the country to meet both the brilliant scientists championing neuroplasticity and the people whose lives they’ve transformed people whose mental limitations or brain damage were seen as unalterable.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Sheri Ramirez
(no login)

Re: The Brain That Changes Itself (NonFiction)

November 5 2007, 8:43 AM 

This week's book regarding the brain is especially interesting to me - my daughter had the left half of her brain removed at age 15 1/2 years due to a very rare neurological/seizure disorder. At the time, she was one of the "oldest" kids to have this procedure completed. She is currently 23 years old, employed and very indepedent. While we sacrificed much to undergo the surgery, it definitely has saved her life!

Respond to this message   

(no login)

I need to read this book

November 5 2007, 12:42 PM 

This is exciting and compelling enough to buy this book if it isn't available in the library. I am a nurse, and foster mother to a 24 yr old "child" that was born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. These children have brains that are much smaller than normal and no one expected her to walk let alone be able to accomplish anything in school. It hasn't been easy for her or us but she has learned so much and continues to learn life's lessons. It's exciting to hear that there is more hope than thought possible when she was born.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

My brain is changing

November 5 2007, 1:51 PM 

My grandmother has Alzheimer's, my best friend suffered an aneurism and I am 45. I bought this book and will read it cover to cover.

Respond to this message   
Dorothy Rondeau
(no login)

Exciting

November 6 2007, 7:17 AM 

I want to read this book. I am 75, and I wish my brain remembered the same as it did when I was 55.
I have a grandaughter who has been diagnosed
as bi-polar, and with a personality disorder. I want her to be able to be a normal young lady, and live as a normal person. If brain's can change, can hers? Maybe I will find some answers in your book.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Not so great at 56

November 8 2007, 9:41 AM 

I had started reading this book from the library a while ago. That opening section on the "wobbler" is awesome. There is so much research coming out now on "Adult Neurogenesis" - Google this - that I am encouraged and confident that many of the problems that currently plague the middle aged adult and older will see improvement.

At 56, I am noticing MANY problems with my 'executive functions' - I only hope I can move forward into my 'Golden Years' with the capacity expressed herein. I thought it humorous to want a 55 year-old brain back again!

There are many techniques, technologies and discoveries literally every day that can open the way to keeping our minds and memories sharp. Thank you all for engaging this important book and dialogues.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Fascinated, already

November 5 2007, 6:14 PM 

I didn't think I would be interested in a book about the brain. The subject sounds like science to me and that means work. But, so far the book is proving to be fascinating reading -- not too difficult to understand and certainly interesting. Let't face it; we all have a brain of our own, so why wouldn't we find it interesting to read about it? Can't wait to see if the writer holds my interest tomorrow.

Respond to this message   
Linda
(no login)

LOVE this book!

November 8 2007, 1:28 PM 

I purchased this book because what Doidge conveys about neuroplasticity is very meaningful (hopeful) to me, as a survivor of a brain aneurysm. This is a positive review of so much paradigm-shattering work, produced despite academic and professional censure, resistance and negativity toward the researchers whom Dr. Doidge has interviewed. Thanks, Suzanne!

Respond to this message   
Vanette Hamilton
(no login)

Incredible!

November 9 2007, 8:57 AM 

This is absolutely fascinating! I am a scientist, but not in the biological field; however, I have always had an interest in how brain work - or don't. To know there is a "cure" for various types of disorders stemming from mis-cues of the brain is mind-boggling (no pun intended) and holds hope for so many people.
I will definitely finish reading this book!

Respond to this message   
Dan
(no login)

Great Piece!

November 9 2007, 9:44 AM 

This is the first one for me. I love reading subjects completely irrelevant to my experience. It keeps the machinery (brain) in good working order; especially as I get older.

Thanks!

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Great Book

November 9 2007, 11:45 AM 

This is probably the best book Suzanne has presented all year. I work with disabled adults in a group home setting and am greatly encouraged by the work done by Dr. Doidge.

I recently graduated from training in hypnosis. Included in the course was a class on EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique). This is an amazing technique to help people overcome all sorts of presumed incurable problems. I have personally seen some of the magic on myself. The EFT website is emofree.com

Can't wait to read the rest of this book

Respond to this message   

(Login dfcurtis)

Fascinating!

November 9 2007, 2:34 PM 

Suzanne: Thank you for this book selection, I never would have found it without your book club.

My Son was injured in Iraq in June with a traumatic brain injury. Reading this book gives me hope and has inspired me to search for articles on the subject. I just picked it up at the library to finish reading.

Thanks for the bookclub and your daily blog which also brightens my day.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

hang in there...

December 26 2007, 1:19 PM 

I saw your note in Suzanne's blog regarding Doidge's book, "The Brain that Changes Itself". I just wanted to tell you to "hang in there"... I've been in the nursing field for > 40 years and we know so much more about what the brain CAN do than we used to - and hopefully, answers for your son will be forthcoming in the next few years, too. But - the most important thing - is to keep searching; we know so much more than we used to - but so much less than we will. Best wishes! barb

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - The Brain That Changes Itself (NonFiction)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.