<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  

The Sound of Butterflies (Fiction) TALK WITH THE AUTHOR!

September 26 2008 at 3:23 PM
Rachael King  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

The Sound of Butterflies
by Rachael King 
ISBN: 9780061357640

Amateur naturalist Thomas Edgar is offered the chance of a lifetime: to travel to the Amazon as part of a scientific exploration. Hoping to discover the mythical butterfly of which he has long dreamed—his Papilio sophia—he eagerly accepts. Yet when he returns, the optimistic young Edwardian gentleman is gone, replaced by a weak, nearly mute shadow of the man.

Unable to break through Thomas's silence, his beloved wife, Sophie, is forced to take drastic measures to discover what has happened. But as she gleans what she can from Thomas's diaries and boxes of exquisite butterflies, she learns as much about herself and their marriage as about the secrets he harbors.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Rachael King
(Login RachaelKing)

Thanks for reading...

September 26 2008, 3:34 PM 

Welcome readers to the preview of my book, The Sound of Butterflies. I hope you enjoy reading it each day and look forward to any comments or questions you may have. -- Rachael King

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Sounds Great

September 29 2008, 6:17 AM 

Dear Rachel

After reading the first excerpt of your book I am very intrigued to find out just what happened.

Wendy

Respond to this message   
Laura
(no login)

Butterflies

September 29 2008, 3:01 PM 

The title alone seems to capture me like a fly in a spider's web. I had to quick check online with my local library to see if they have it; I can't wait to rush over after work to check it out. I'm not much of a fiction reader, however, certain books will get my attention. I'm really looking forward to reading your book!

Respond to this message   
Rachael King
(Login RachaelKing)

Re: Butterflies

October 1 2008, 4:12 PM 

I'm glad I managed to pull you over to the fictionional side of life, Laura! And you will find one or two spiders in the book as well...

Respond to this message   

(Login pandorasbox2006)

Agree

September 30 2008, 8:55 AM 

I agree with Wendy. A very intriguing start. I am curious to find out exactly what happened to poor Thomas to bring him to the state he's in. What did he see? Was something done to him? What happened is the question I seek. I will be putting this book on hold at the library to find the answers to my questions.

Respond to this message   
Rachael King
(Login RachaelKing)

Re: Agree

October 1 2008, 4:24 PM 

Susan - all will be revealed. I hope you enjoy the journey.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login RachaelKing)

Re: Sounds Great

October 1 2008, 4:10 PM 

Great, Wendy - I hope you enjoy it.

Respond to this message   
Krista
(no login)

Can't wait

September 30 2008, 12:05 AM 

This book sounds so interesting! I have a hold request in at my local library and can't wait until its my turn :)

Respond to this message   
Sheryl
(Login mamalemma)

Re: The Sound of Butterflies (Fiction) TALK WITH THE AUTHOR!

September 30 2008, 5:14 PM 

A *most* promising start! Thanks for the great selection!

Respond to this message   

(no login)

The Sound of Butterflies

October 2 2008, 12:51 AM 

Rachael:

I wasn't sure I wanted to read the newest book, but the title was so interesting, and intriguing that I just jumped into it.

The writing in present-tense is a bit disoreinting--I don't recall many books like that, but it makes the whole excerpt(and the book, once I get my hands on it)more real. It catapults the reader (or perhaps just me!) into the story.

Thanks,

silverflight

Respond to this message   
Rachael King
(Login RachaelKing)

Re: The Sound of Butterflies

October 3 2008, 6:20 PM 

Hi Silverflight,

One of the reasons I chose the present tense for the England chapters is to differentiate between them and the sections that begin with Thomas arriving, some months earlier, in Brazil. I think with any technical aspect of writing like that, often it can seem strange for the first little bit, and then hopefully you don't even notice it. Personally I like present tense narration, but only in the third person - if it is in the first person it begins to sound like stage direction.

Thanks for reading.

Rachael

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Waiting

October 2 2008, 6:22 AM 

I am waiting for my copy at the library too.

Respond to this message   
Rachael King
(Login RachaelKing)

October 1 2008, 4:27 PM 

If any readers out there are from Portland, Oregon, or thereabouts, I will be coming from New Zealand to participate in the Wordstock Festival on November 8 and 9. I will be giving a talk about the Sound of Butterflies as well as taking part in a panel on first novels. Hope to see you there!

Respond to this message   
fer
(no login)

Must Read

October 2 2008, 11:42 AM 

I have been completely riveted by the excerpts this week. It is not often that I read every word from an excerpt. I usually have time to browse thru the dialog or content and make a decision to read the book later or disregard.

This story is very compelling and I will be getting this book immediately to read.

Jennifer

Respond to this message   
Erika Wood
(no login)

Love the book!

October 2 2008, 4:16 PM 

I love this book so far and look forward to coming to work and opening my email more than ever! I plan to check it out from my local library tomorrow. Keep writing! Erika

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Risky yet courageous

October 3 2008, 1:26 AM 

I feel that it asks a lot of a reader to trust in the author's ability to deliver an explanation of the "mystery" which entices the reader page after page and not end up being a huge let down. At this point, I do not know if the investment of time and interest pays off. The story so far is very enticing.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Re: Risky yet courageous

October 3 2008, 12:49 PM 

Wilma, quite an interesting concept - I have never thought of it in that way - sounds like you have given this a lot of thought - but if you don't take a risk you may miss a good book, right? - and if you are like me, you can always say I've had enough of this and put it down - unlike my dtr. who always finishes a book - definitely not my cup of tea - tho' I am not above skipping to the back to see the end result and sometimes then may go back and read the middle -
takes all kinds, I guess - lol - Doris -

Respond to this message   
Rachael King
(Login RachaelKing)

Re: Risky yet courageous

October 3 2008, 6:24 PM 

Wilma, I will just say this: it is not the kind of book that has a big 'reveal' on the last page. It should slowly dawn on the reader as they read what is going on, and to me the story is as much about whether Sophie will encourage Thomas to heal as what happened to him to make him this way. I hope there is a lot along the way to keep the reader interested and entertained. I hope this helps.

Rachael

Respond to this message   
Rachael King
(Login RachaelKing)

October 3 2008, 6:26 PM 

Thanks everyone for your kind words about the beginning - I hope you enjoy reading the rest. If anyone is interested, the paperback will be out on November 4. It has a particularly beautiful cover! I think it is up on Amazon if you want to take a look.

Rachael

Respond to this message   

(Login ralani)

GOT INTO IT

October 3 2008, 11:04 PM 

It took me a while to get into the story. It's not personal, that's the type of reader I am, takes time for my motor to warm so I can shift into drive. It wasn't until Thursday's read that I caught an interest into what was going on and I got into it.

The story reminds me of a man coming home from the Vietnam war, or any war for that matter. It also reminds me of a movie I once saw where the husband went up to space and came back but he wasn't himself. I am interested in knowing what happened to this man on his butterfly hunt.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

A Wonderful Book

October 7 2008, 9:14 PM 

I just wanted to share with everyone that I read the book over the weekend. I could hardly put it down. I heart went out to Thomas, and his wife. I loved the book and would recommend anyone to read it. I love the time period too. Thank you for writing a wonderful book.

Respond to this message   

(Login jenniferwhorley)

sound of butterflies

October 8 2008, 9:32 AM 

This was a great book to read and I hope to find it at the library so I can finish reading it.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - The Sound of Butterflies (Fiction) TALK WITH THE AUTHOR!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.