October 3 2008 at 3:29 PM
Bob Sheasley  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

Home to Roost: A Backyard Farmer Chases Chickens Through the Ages
by Bob Sheasley
ISBN: 9780312373641

Find this book in our catalog.

Jacket Notes:

Each day, Bob Sheasley leaves Lilyfield Farm and heads into the city. And each day, he brings along a basket of eggs for his coworkers at "The" "Philadelphia"" Inquirer." Depending on the breed of hen, these eggs may be white, green, rose, blue, or as brown as chocolate. And they are all deliciously fresh, a taste of the rural way of life that people have enjoyed for millennia, one in which chickens have played a supporting role for nearly as long. In "Home to Roost," Sheasley tells of the intertwined relationship between humans and chickens. He delves into where chickens came from, what their DNA tells us about our kinship, how we've treated our feathered fellow travelers, and the roads we're crossing together. This is a story of agriculture and human migration, of folk medicine and technology, of how we dreamed of the good life, threw it away, and want it back. Modern farming has changed the lives of both bird and man over the past century. But backyard farmers like Sheasley offer hope for a return to the pleasures of locally grown food, as diverse as the chickens he's raised on Lilyfield Farm. With wit and personal insight, "Home to Roost "examines of how our lives can be changed for the better, with something as simple as a backyard coop.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Catherinejames
(no login)

What a delight

October 6 2008, 6:38 AM 

I just love, love, love the beginning of your book!
Can't wait to see where we go tomorrow...

Respond to this message   
Gerrie Hester
(no login)

Starting out Great

October 6 2008, 12:49 PM 

I can already tell that this book is going to "grab" my interest. I certainly have enjoyed todays portion.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

reserved already

October 6 2008, 11:35 AM 

I reserved this from the library already, because my husband just got 4 chickens for the backyard in August. Sometimes our eggs have 2 yolks!

Respond to this message   
Laura
(no login)

Holy Yolks!

October 6 2008, 4:21 PM 

Is that Catherine James, the author of Dandelions, who wrote in? I have to say I loved your book that was recently listed.

And now for Home to Roost! What an exciting start. You beautifully weave words into a lovely tapestry. I too will have to check this book out.

Respond to this message   
Catherine James
(no login)

To Laura

October 8 2008, 10:18 PM 

Yes, it's me..
After the very pleasant experience of being featured, I got hooked reading the other authors pages. I now read them all...

Home to Roost sent me right to the spot, especially the first pages.

I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed Dandelion. Thank you...

Till next time,
Catherine

Respond to this message   
Rae
(no login)

A flock of our own

October 7 2008, 8:43 AM 

I've enjoyed the first installment very much, loving the author's style and subject matter. Hope he talks about various types of chicken coops, as we are thinking of raising a few chickens in the spring. We own a bed and breakfast, serve deep yellow yolked eggs which our patrons enjoy. But they are from a neighbor's farm. We'd love to raise our own flock, for the eggs, and enjoyment of observing these interesting fowl.

Respond to this message   
Allison
(Login allie701)

How appropriate!

October 7 2008, 6:33 AM 

As a librarian in a K-12 school with the motto "Earth Day Every Day" I have already shared the first selection with a reading group interested in the connection between food and sustainability. It caught our fancy immediately, combining humor with the topic of local food. I'm looking forward to reading the whole book.

Respond to this message   
martha sims
(no login)

Memories

October 8 2008, 7:42 AM 

Living around many peoole that had chicken farms in Ala. and Ga. I have heard story after story. This writter is another of these good story tellers about the bird.

Respond to this message   
Lisa
(no login)

Re: Home to Roost (NonFiction)

October 8 2008, 11:10 AM 

Who knew chickens could be this interesting to read about!?

Respond to this message   
Maggie
(no login)

Great Read!

October 10 2008, 7:18 AM 

My daughter and I both enjoyed this week's selections and have reserved this book at the library. Can't wait to read it.

Respond to this message   
Joanne Apel
(no login)

My chicken coop

October 10 2008, 5:59 PM 

Today's read really struck a chord of memory for me. When I lived in Miami in the late 30's, my father who had just built the house that we lived in, built us a playhouse in the back yard. It was about 6' square and had a peaked roof. We didn't have very long to use it as our playhouse, because he brought home some chickens and after putting a chicken-wire extension in the front, we didn't get to use it! I can remember feeling very, very sad when we had one for dinner after watching the chicken running around the backyard with its head cut off! The poor youth of today just don't know what they have missed by not living back then, when practically anything was possible.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.