Return to Index  

Pretty much the same as Brit Army

February 7 2005 at 12:50 PM

Chris Kanca  (Premier Login AOC553)
Forum Owner
from IP address 156.101.1.5

Response to Thanks....

Alex,
SAAF was part of the SADF -- South African Defense Forces -- and can be roughly equated to USAAF being part of the US Army. Structure for WW2 SA military was roughly the same.

As such, the badging and uniforms are Army based. Aircrew badging was obviously unique but other than that, everything else was based upon common (to South Africa)army designs. Service dress has RAF-style brass buttons but on a khaki woolen service dress. Khaki BD was worn and army inspired ranks used.

I'm not aware of any detailed reference book dealing with the subject. Most references I have are very basic and touch on the transition to blue (1950s)and the interim badging used on early blue uniforms.

All the badging used seems to be based upon standard British designs. I would expect a medical officer in the SAAF to looks the same as a medical officer in the South Africa or British army. The only prominent thing I can thing of is the use of dual-language on cap badges/badging bearing abbreviations -- e.g. SAAF/SALM on the cap badge, etc. I'm not sure if the caduceous worn on the collars had anything beyond the Kings Crown surmounting.

This message has been edited by AOC553 from IP address 156.101.1.5 on Feb 7, 2005 12:58 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

• SAAF - Derek on Feb 7, 2005, 1:17 PM
  •