Return to Index  

Colour Photo of RCAF in khaki BD

February 28 2005 at 11:19 PM

(Login WWMiller)
Forum Member
from IP address 24.77.93.16

Response to Re: khaki 37 pattern BD

I found the following which may be of interest to some in that it is a wartime color picture. I was able to identify the officer on the right who is a member of the regiment I served with, the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada. Note the blue 2nd Canadian Division patch on the sleeve. The officer on the left is from the Fusilier du Mont Royal, also in the 2nd Division. The Cameron officer is Lieutenant (later Major) Bill Pearson who is now a retired lawyer living in Brandon, Manitoba. When I wrote to him asking about the photo he replied:

"My recollection is that this photograph was taken at an airport in Belgium near Brussels. The situation was that the Brits had landed at Arnhem and the Yanks had landed at Nijmegen. There was only a single highway from Antwerp to
Nijmegen. For whatever reason Capt. Balcer (FMR) and myself were taken to this airfield to see some of the aircraft which had given us such close support in South Beveland Peninsula. When we arrived at the airfield the
story was that the enemy was massing 100 tanks to cut the highway to the Airborne. (Ceiling - Zero). While we were
there the clouds disappeared and we attended the briefing of the pilots who within 1 hour of sunshine had destroyed the enemy tank force completely."

Of note is the very stylish footwear worn by the pilot.

Yours, aye

Dusty

Respond to this message   
Responses