Return to Index  

Squadrons/VE Day

May 15 2006 at 12:22 PM

Robbie Roberts  (Login saroberts)
Forum Member
from IP address 68.45.140.114

Lads- I am trying to determine the location of a photo of what appears to be a Squadron Mess, or Club around the time of a V-E Day celebration. I have had this original photo for some time, but have been unable to determine location. The Mess/Club is apparently in a Quonset(Or Maycrete) Hut; there is a bar made up of several folding tables, each stacked with glass tumblers on a checked tablecloth.Above is a charicature of Winston Churchill(in AM uniform w/cigar), (above a very large RAF pilot's brevet picture) to which a drawing of long pair of arms have been outstretched, one hand at the end in a "V, the other holding a pint. There is a rendition of an American flag, a Soviet one, and several Union Jacks. In front of the "bar" are small tables, each with 1 chair on each side. Behind the "bar" are bottles of liquors, and 5 casks. I believe the casks(of which 3 are tapped) hold the secret as to the location. All the casks have a number, below which is "XX", then the plug, or tap. The numbers are 202, 221, & 238. (202 & 238 is marked on 2 casks each.) I believe these may be squdron numbers: Can anyone tell me if 202, 221, and 238 Sqn.s all existed, and if so, did they occupy the same base at the end of the war, or any time between? This would tell me most likely where the photo was taken.

Any help appreciated,
Robbie

Respond to this message   
Responses