Return to Index  

An original '32 Pattern (as far as I know...!)

September 2 2008 at 7:51 PM
Alex  (Login gate1)
Forum Member
from IP address 91.104.34.186

Response to Repro's in the RAFM?!

Neil, I doubt personally that a change in the lettering style would constitute a different pattern of vest, I agree that its more likely to be a manufacturers thing. If a 1932 Pattern came out with leg straps, and maybe a torch pocket for example, its more likely.

Toine, aside from aircraft, the RAF Museum gets much of its material for nothing as thousands of items were preserved for the Museum throughout the 1960s ready for its opening in 1972 (I think), while many more items are donated each year by veterans or their families. A recent posting mentioned the problem of donating items to museums, as they have so many that unless its something mindblowing, its likely to go into store and then be sold. Generally when you hand material over it becomes the property of the Museum to do with what they please. Years ago the RAF Museum sold off boxes and boxes of uniforms from all eras, when they moved out of the restoration centre at Cardington.

Some items are (annoyingly) sprayed with some sort of preservative which makes them go stiff as a board, after which they are totally useless for any other purpose. I suspect that the items Steve supplied were meant (in the main) for areas where they would likely be prone to handling (in the Shop for example) or on displays where they cant be easily protected (open displays, figures standing beside aircraft etc (some with the protective coating).

for you Toine, a genuine '32 pattern vest.

Respond to this message   
Responses