Return to Index  

Thoughts

February 12 2009 at 12:41 PM
John Wheeler  (Login Tangmere1940)
Forum Member
from IP address 170.123.4.230

Response to Militaria 911?

If you're disgusted with the people who carelessly tossed these things in the rubbish heap, then I agree. I don't know if I would condemn the seller completely. At least he managed to save some of these things from being ingloriously thrown out - there's no shame in that. Personally I couldn't then sell them for profit, but what should he do with them? It's fine to say 'donate them to a museum', but contrary to popular belief, museums will not often take any old thing, even if they are original wings, etc. Many museums have tons of donated things in storage as is with no hope of displaying them all. For example, I live in the States and a friend of mine was a former curator at the Smithsonian in Washington, DC. Sometime between the World Wars the British government sent to them a huge collection of regimental badges, etc from various time periods representing every regiment in the British Army. According to him it contains things that would 'make one drool'. It will never see the light of day as there is almost nil interest to display them.

So what do you do with them? I would try to find the original vet owners, their families or an association of the squadron that might take them. Short of that, better to be sold to a home - one of us perhaps - who might do what's right with these things than have them binned.

Respond to this message   
Responses