Return to Index  

Re: Museum Photos

April 5 2009 at 8:36 PM
Andrew B  (Login MGB690)
Forum Member
from IP address 58.105.150.103

Response to Museum Photos

Thanks for posting these Mark, I haven't been there for a few years and i'm really keen to see the new Aviation Hall. Just this week I have been reading their new book on the AWM's collection of aircraft. The background and info on each piece is excellent, but I think the photos really let it down.

In 1996 I designed a few of the proposed exhibits for the Museum's renovation and it's interesting to see how the actually turned out. At the time the Museum had a strict philosophy that no aircraft could be either suspended by wires or mounted on a pole as it would obviously involve modiying the airframe and that as they were never intended to be viewed this way. I totally agree but it appears that the policy must have unfortunately changed at some time.

Interesting also to see how the have displayed Polly the P-40. I had her backed into a section of hacked out coconut plantation at Milne Bay, partially camoflaged with palm fronds, 44 gallon drums and a couple of shirtless ground crew. Looks like budget cuts cut down the trees!

Respond to this message   
Responses