<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Caterpillar Badge for sale

January 26 2005 at 7:54 PM
Dean Johnson  (Login skypilot62)
Forum Member
from IP address 81.154.5.122

Saw this on Ebay - I think someone is about to be had for a large sum of cash.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6506089068&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

What do you chaps think? I reckon the price is a giveaway for a start, before even commenting on the badge itself.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Ian F
(Login NA337)
Forum Member

Re: Caterpillar Badge for sale

January 27 2005, 7:14 PM 

?? Uh... Hmmmnnnn... Dificult this one...
Everything else in the collection could feasibly be original, but the caterpillar stuff looks a bit "odd" to me....
To start with, the badge is nothing like the caterpillars I've experience of, then there's the engraving... no name, just "Lesley Irving", and finally the card - looks a whole lot different to others I've seen.
Now then... I've only seen RAF caterpillars, the one featured is USAAF I beleive, so, maybe there was two different issues, one to the RAF and one to the USAAF?? Who knows??
Too much money for my liking though!
Ian F
Usual Place

Respond to this message   

Sam Irvine
(Login SamIrvine)
Forum Member

Common in 1944

January 27 2005, 7:50 PM 

The airman recieved the bailout certificate in early 1944, so was the lend lease with the AAF still in affect with RAF Irvin parachutes? To me it seems it is a little late in the war for him to be wearing an RAF parachute versus a U.S. parachute (please correct me if I am wrong). Just my two cents

Sam Irivne

Respond to this message   

Ian F
(Login NA337)
Forum Member

Re: Common in 1944

January 28 2005, 12:41 PM 

Hi Sam,
Any family connection?
Ian F

Respond to this message   
Dean Johnson
(Login skypilot62)
Forum Member

Warning signs

January 28 2005, 6:33 PM 

These are my points of concern:

All items apart from the badge could be and do look genuine - note the card is IrvinG not IrvinE - the company in the states was indeed spelt this way so not inaccurate necessarily and that would explain the different card design.

The badge itself looks very crude and only has "Pres. by Irving" on it. Every badge I've seen and handles has recipient details, also the badge looks too new. I reckon at best it's a replacement badge that the vet bought, at worst it's a deliberate con. Plus there's the "red eyes = burning plane" rubbish that we discussed at some length here a few weeks ago.

For that kind of cash (about 2-3 times going rate), I'd want cast iron provenance.

Respond to this message   

Anonymous
(Login SamIrvine)
Forum Member

Re: Common in 1944

January 28 2005, 7:27 PM 

Hi Ian,

While not directly related we are both from the same clan. Not to go into too much detail but after the Scottish replled the English my ancestor was Robert the Bruce's armr bearer. So after the war he gave him Drum Caslte up in Aberdeen, Scotland. The name changed so I guess it depends what generation you left the castle. Irvine being the last variation came after Irving, Irvin, Irwin etc. So not directly related but closer than others.

Sam Irvine

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index