<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

officer's serivce dress

February 25 2005 at 11:03 PM

(Login Chris_Rodusek)
Forum Member
from IP address 65.92.205.248

Hey guys did officers service dress pockets have large or medium buttons on the bottom pockets?

Chris

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login ShanghaiJack)
553 Sqdn

Well..

February 26 2005, 2:15 AM 

Chris,
My 1940 RAF Officers Service Dress Tunic has the same sized buttons for all four tunic pockets. All medium sized gilt buttons.
Hope that helps...
Regards,
SJ

Respond to this message   

(Login Chris_Rodusek)
Forum Member

Re: Well..

February 26 2005, 12:34 PM 

Well that does help alot, mine has two large buttons on the bottom pocket and 2 medium ones on the top pocket.

Chris

Respond to this message   

(Login Chris_Rodusek)
Forum Member

another question

February 26 2005, 12:59 PM 

I have another question, now my RCAF tunic has snaps on the pockets(on the sides) and on the belt. Was this a common practice? Should I remove them or leave them?

Chris

Respond to this message   
Alex
(Login gate1)
Forum Member

Pockets

February 26 2005, 5:16 PM 

Chris

It was quite normal to have popper studs on the tips of the pockets (usually just the top ones) and belt. Helps to keep it all neat. I'd keep them, and replace any that might be missing with the best match you can find.

There were usually three sizes of buttons, the largest for the front of the tunic, medium for the pockets (and sometimes battledress epaulettes), and the smallest for the side cap (and sometimes holding the chinstrap of the peaked cap).

In some units (the Air Transport Auxiliary for example) there was a fourth size, slightly larger than the largest, for use on the greatcoat. I have four sizes of ATA buttons.

As a slight correction on the earlier posting, the buttons would normally be brass, not gilt which indicates gold or gold plate.

Respond to this message   

(Login Chris_Rodusek)
Forum Member

Re: Pockets

February 26 2005, 7:04 PM 

Thanks Alex, I was about to remove the snaps, I did remove one on the belt but that was it.

Chris

Respond to this message   

(Login ShanghaiJack)
553 Sqdn

Snaps

February 27 2005, 1:00 AM 

Chris,
My Original has snaps on the breast pockets only [corners], and one for the waist belt.
Regards,
SJ

Respond to this message   

(Login Chris_Rodusek)
Forum Member

Re: Snaps

February 27 2005, 12:50 PM 

Same here, except I took only one off the belt.

Chris

Respond to this message   

Richard
(Login __richard__)
553 Sqdn

No need

February 28 2005, 5:38 AM 

Not really any need to remove the belt snap, it does a good job of keeping the belt from flapping.

Respond to this message   

(Login Chris_Rodusek)
Forum Member

more questions

February 27 2005, 11:48 PM 

Hey guys, I know I have been asking alot of questions, thanks for an help.

On the lapels of my tunic there are 2 little stitches approx an inch between.Any idea of what might have gone there? Possibly VR titles?

Chris

Respond to this message   

(Login ShanghaiJack)
553 Sqdn

VR

February 28 2005, 1:39 AM 

There are two sizes [that I've seen] to "VR" brass lapel insignia. Small and Large. Your guess could be correct.
SJ

Respond to this message   

(Login __richard__)
553 Sqdn

RCAF VR?

February 28 2005, 5:40 AM 

This is definitely an RCAF tunic? I didn't think true RCAF personnel wore VR titles? Would it be more likely to have been medical insignia? Sorry if I'm off the ball, someone asked about RCAF and VR but way back it never got answered.

Respond to this message   

(Login Chris_Rodusek)
Forum Member

Re: RCAF VR?

February 28 2005, 7:23 AM 

I have no clue Richard, all there is is a 2 stitcjes approx 1/2 an inch or so and there is thread on the back, your guess is as good as mine.

I would need the owner service record but all I have is F/Lt A.H.Haylock RCAF no date but most lkey was promoted after the war becuase the second set of braid is light blue when the first is white, the secnd set was handsewn too.

It going to take a lot of digging around to figure this one out, I really want to get my tunic back to it's former glory.

Chris

Respond to this message   

(Login Chris_Rodusek)
Forum Member

Re: RCAF VR?

February 28 2005, 7:25 AM 

pleas excuse my spelling and punctuation, it's early in the morning, for me lol.

Chris

Respond to this message   
Alex
(Login gate1)
Forum Member

VR's and things...

February 28 2005, 10:34 AM 

Chris

The stitches you refer to could be medical or dental collar badges. I have never seen RCAF VR, maybe someone else knows different? There is also another possibility, that of an Officer in the Canadian Air Cadets.

The lighter first rank stripe would be consistent with him getting promoted, I have a couple of tunics like that. As for the second being hand stiched, there is no reason why not, but it would help if you could confirm the rank the owner got to, to know it was not added by someone after.

Of the VR (and A) titles, these were worn in brass by officers only (Other Ranks wore them on the upper sleeve in cloth). The two sizes are for collar (smaller) and greatcoat shoulder (larger).

I asked some time back about RAAF VR (not RCAF VR Richard, so it might be me you were thinking of). A dealer I know had a blue cloth VR badge, but the 'VR' letters were in turquoise rather than the usual light blue, more in the RAAF style. I wondered if the RAAF had the VR?

Respond to this message   

(Login Chris_Rodusek)
Forum Member

Re: VR's and things...

February 28 2005, 4:24 PM 

I really can't say what rank the owner was. All I can go by is that the name is A.H. Haylock RCAF and at the time of the tailoring flying officer.

I don't know what badges went on the collar but if I can somehow dig up a service record going off of the info above I could know.

thanks for the help
Chris

Respond to this message   

(Login Chris_Rodusek)
Forum Member

just for the record

February 28 2005, 4:32 PM 

... guys I am not sure whether the owner was in the volunteer reserve or medical. I only have two little stitches on each collar, I really want to know what would have gone there so I can rebadge the tunic and bring it back to it's former glory(all original badges).

Cris

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - officer's serivce dress
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index