<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Replacing MK VIII Goggle Lens

January 28 2007 at 8:26 PM

(Login GWillis)
from IP address 12.160.122.212

I purchased a set of MK VIII goggles that are tinted, but the lamination has fogged and bubbled. I have read that it is a relatively easy process, although tedious, to remove the lamination from between the glass.

Can anyone tell me how to properly remove the lens from the goggles and then the frame? Also any tips on separating the glass without cracking it?

Or better yet, a source for replacement lens?

Many Thanks

"Willis"

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Robbie Roberts
(Login saroberts)
Forum Member

Re: Replacing MK VIII Goggle Lens

January 28 2007, 11:17 PM 

Removing the lens from the goggle is fairly straightforward- first remove the side mounting for the headband. This is done by pressing the rolled end foreward out of its clip, then sliding the flat end out of its slot. Then press against the smaller piece inward slightly, and towards the back, and the lens should pop out. May take a little working if it has settled into position. To remove it form the frame, simply unbend the tabs of the frame retaining bit, and slip the frame off one side or the other of it. Mechnics are very simple there. As to the relamination, well, I've no idea...

Robbie

Respond to this message   

(Login Scooterccsj)
Forum Member

replacement lenses

January 29 2007, 9:54 AM 

For replacement lenses I would recommend Halcyon. I have bought spare lenses from them in the past and they fit well into my original MKVIII goggles. They offer both the clear and the tinted lenses.

http://www.classicpartsltd.com/aviatorgoggles.htm

--Scott

Respond to this message   
Alex
(Login gate1)
Forum Member

Lighter fluid...

January 29 2007, 10:50 AM 

Once you have the glass on its own you should be able to drop it into something like lighter fluid, nail varnish remover or one of those adhesive removers and after a while the lamination will disappear. then reassemble and they will look as good as new.

Respond to this message   

(Login GWillis)

Thanks

January 30 2007, 9:12 PM 

Thank you all...
I will post my progress as I get into the repair.

"Willis"

Respond to this message   

(Login GWillis)

Update

February 1 2007, 5:58 PM 

Thanks to everyone that responded to my inquiry, the task was not as involved as I had feared. I pulled the lenses out of the goggle frame, bent back the brass tabs, removed the glass and the lamination pretty much fell right out. I didn't even have to use any solvent to remove the residue left by the plastic between the lenses. I cleaned them up with Windex and re-assembled the lens in the frames and had a little difficulty with my fat fingers getting the little brass tab back in the slots, but that was the most difficult part of the entire project. I ordered a replacement strap from Halcyon.

The end result is I will have less than $60.00 USD in this set of goggles.

Thanks again everyone

"Willis"

Respond to this message   

(Login Scooterccsj)
Forum Member

Replacement Strap

February 2 2007, 7:51 AM 

Willis,

The replacement strap from Halcyon is totally wrong. It does not attach quite the same way and the colour and material are wrong as well. The most reliable source I know for replacement straps is Sefton. His are original surplus ones.

--Scott

Respond to this message   
Alex
(Login gate1)
Forum Member

Echo that...

February 3 2007, 3:23 PM 

Scott is right, the Halcyon and some of the Stadium goggles have a different fixing and it would take a bit of fiddling to sort. But Steve Silburn at Sefton Clothing has a stock of the genuine article at about £38. See http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sefton-clothing-co (although the goggle straps are not listed at the moment)

Highish but worth it to finish off. You might also try Dave Farnsworth

Respond to this message   

(Login GWillis)

Update 2

February 11 2007, 6:26 PM 

I had already ordered the strap when I read the post regarding Halycon straps being wrong. It was too late to cancel the order, luckily since it was not a large purchase it was not a real problem.

NOTE TO SELF: Always ask, before ordering in areas you are not knowledgeable.
How many times I have traveled that road before, and still charge ahead ending up with the wrong items. DUH!

The strap arrived this past week and I could immediately see what you fellows were talking about. The goggles I purchased had a remnant of the original strap with the rear adjustment clasp attached to it. The Halycon strap is at least twice as wide as the original. Also the hooks (for lack of a better term) were about three times larger than the originals. The mounting mechanism was also totally wrong for the original goggles. The clips that also hold the lens in place would not mount in the orignal goggle frame. Thankfully the goggles had the original hooks and attachment mechanisim, so I was able to adapt the originals to the Halycon strap. Finally, the only color that was offered that seemed like it would blend was brown. At least the goggles are wearable until I can get the correct version, but I am definitely in the market for an original strap.

Thanks again for your help gents.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Replacing MK VIII Goggle Lens
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index