<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Untitled

February 4 2009 at 5:28 PM
Shide  (Login shide58)
Forum Member
from IP address 86.16.173.95

Take a look at ebay item 400028913553. Anyone care to shed a bit more light on it. I've not seen anything like it before.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Alex
(Login gate1)
Forum Member

BCATP Instructor

February 4 2009, 6:03 PM 

Its a BCATP instructors uniform, but there are a lot of question marks over it. The dark blue tunic and cap are pretty standard, as is the cap badge. But its a puzzle why it has RCAF wings (as many such instructors were Civilians) and why it has USA titles too.

It was up for sale several times through manions but didnt sell, and a couple of friends I know who collect BCATP material werent really impressed. It finally sold I think in the high hundreds (dollars) but that was only about a year ago. Credit crunch? Or has the seler also got his suspicions?

Respond to this message   
Paul O
(Login paultax2)
553 Sqdn

BCATP Uniform

February 4 2009, 8:20 PM 

Hi Alex,

I am in no way vouching for the set but do know that it is very possible that it could have RCAF wings. One of my very close friends is a WWII RCAF pilot vet. When he graduated with his wings he was assigned as an instructor at AOS #8, Ancienne Lorrette (Quebec.) One of his uniforms was the dark blue BCATP instructor uniforms as seen for sale on Ebay. On this uniform he tells me he wore his RCAF wings. He also wore his RCAF wings on a private purchase leather flight jacket and also on his Sidcot flight suit. I guess he was very proud he had earned them. I either have photographs of, or the actual items to bear witness to his statements. My friend by his own admission was a bit of a restless spirit/rebel and was constantly being called on the carpet in front of the CO for various flying infractions. (Low level buzz jobs etc.) In addition I would also imagine it is plausible that JW Church was an American that joined the RCAF early in the war, then was assigned as an instructor. I don't find believing that all that much of a stretch. This set was finally sold by Manion's and almost immediately appeared for sale on Ebay. It sold at Manion's for approx. $1,000USD and if my memory serves me correct, it resold on Ebay in the neighborhood of $1,400USD. I'm not sure of the reason that it has now appeared for resale. Not a very often seen set. My thoughts anyway.
Cheers,
Paul

Respond to this message   
Alex
(Login gate1)
Forum Member

Uniform

February 5 2009, 6:32 AM 

I agree totally Paul, and was interested myself in the uniform. Its a nice set, and I love the cap. I had an idea that one time it sold it was quite low (possibly the last time?) as I thought the cap alone was worth that, but maybe Im wrong. If I had the money I'd probably go for it. But a nice piece and as you say, a rare set.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Untitled
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index