<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

RAF Collar Badges??

January 21 2010 at 1:10 PM
Alex  (Login gate1)
Forum Member
from IP address 93.96.36.129

This uniform recently came up for sale on ebay and I was a bit puzzled by the three holes on the collar, and wondered what others made of it? Its the only time I've seen pre-prepared holes for collar insignia, with three one above the other a little unusual. I could only think of medical officers collars surmounted by an Auxiliary 'A' (probably with bend out prongs for attachment). I'd hazard a guess its a pre-war tunic too.

Anyone have any other ideas?

[linked image] [linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login stevecobden)
Forum Member

Re: RAF Collar Badges??

January 21 2010, 2:24 PM 

VRT perhaps (top single forming the VR, the lower 2 for the T)? That or Medical with A would make sense - there's no wing or brevet or ghosting of such in evidence, which makes me suspect VR or Aux

Respond to this message   

(Login gate1)
Forum Member

Collars

January 21 2010, 4:42 PM 

VRT didnt come in until a few years after the war and the prongs or lugs are horizontal on the edges of the v and R. I think a VR alone would need two rather than one holes.

The more I think of it the more I wished I'd gone for it. A Medical Aux AF would have been nice, and it only went for about Ģ35.00.

Respond to this message   
Glenn
(Login stringbag)
Forum Member

Could also be...

January 22 2010, 10:35 AM 

Custom tailoring for a Pole or Norwegian rank collars

Respond to this message   

theotherChris
(Login theotherChris)
Forum Member

that is what I was thinking too

January 23 2010, 1:35 AM 

Polish or Norwegian or another exiled group

Respond to this message   

(Login gate1)
Forum Member

Re: that is what I was thinking too

January 23 2010, 3:31 AM 

Interesting thought gents, I hadnt had that in mind. Looks to me like a very well made pre-war / early tunic...

Respond to this message   

(Login stevecobden)
Forum Member

Re: that is what I was thinking too

January 23 2010, 9:37 AM 

Polish certainly would make sense with the lack of wings/ghosting as the wore there own wings in a different fashion (not sure what the Norwegians did in this regard), but I'd expect a more normal spacing if that were the case - and I always thought the Polish patches were usually sewn on rather than removable

Respond to this message   

theotherChris
(Login theotherChris)
Forum Member

maybe

January 23 2010, 11:09 PM 

maybe Filip can comment

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login stringbag)
Forum Member

He's not Polish

January 25 2010, 1:42 PM 

He's Czech

Respond to this message   

theotherChris
(Login theotherChris)
Forum Member

yes, and maybe he is knowledgeable too

January 25 2010, 2:19 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login EurBattlefield)
Forum Member

Re: RAF Collar Badges??

January 30 2010, 5:55 AM 

Hello. Iīm sorry for delay happy.gif Yes, that looks like Polish jacket. Polish have theirīs rank on this place. You can compare it with a picture in Osprey book about RAF or with Airmag hors serie numero 8 (from April 2008).

Respond to this message   
Alex
(Login gate1)
Forum Member

Collars...

January 30 2010, 7:52 AM 

Its not Polish.

I've had several sets of Polish Officer collar insignia in the past and they comprise bullion stars over, depending on the rank, straight or wavy bullion bars, all on a cloth rectangle angled to a point at the top. They are sewn on and not pin and lug. In addition, if the Tunic was for an officer in the Polish Air Force (rather than a Polish officer in the RAF) it would feature Polish Air Force buttons which this tunic doesnt have (these are clearly seen in the Osprey book).

I'm still inclined to think a pre-war well made tunic with Medic collars below Auxiliary 'A's.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - RAF Collar Badges??
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index