<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

would that also work for....

January 26 2010 at 10:01 AM
jb  (Login jb76)
Forum Member
from IP address 80.47.248.170

would heating and shaping also work for the chap that wanted some lenses for a pair of MkIIIa goggles?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
jb
(Login jb76)
Forum Member

D'oh supposed to be in the Mae West bulb thread

January 26 2010, 10:03 AM 

above was supposed to be in the thread with Alex describing making parts out of ferrero rocher boxes!

Respond to this message   

(Login gate1)
Forum Member

Lenses

January 26 2010, 12:42 PM 

In theory I guess although I dont have a pair of MkIIIs so im not too familiar with them. Saying that, the Ferrero Rocher boxes are a stiffer plastic than the (original) lenses are made from, so I'd look at sorting another material. But if you had an original to make a pattern from, i dont see why not..

Respond to this message   
Kerry
(Login wanganui)

Rocha lenses

January 26 2010, 4:34 PM 

Thanks for thinking of me but i was after something a little more realistic. The theory is the same i guess, 2-3mm plastic cut & curved to shape.

Respond to this message   

(Login ToineS)
553 Sqdn

Would you need to?

January 26 2010, 4:49 PM 

Seeing the lenses in my MkIIIa's I can't shake the feeling these aren't shaped at all.
I would make a good (flat) lens and let the frame do the forming.

Cheers, Toine

Respond to this message   
jb
(Login jb76)
Forum Member

they do have little bit of a curvature

January 27 2010, 3:49 AM 

Toine,

I have two pairs of MkIIIa's and a pair of MkIII's I have had the lenses out of all of them and they all show to some degree a curvature. The ones in the 38 and 39 dated RAF mkIIIa's are curved more than the ones in my 42 dated RCAF MkIII's. These lenses are quite thick so if using a replacement of equal thickness I would think they would need to be shaped to the frame. In my opinion not shaping them would run the risk of damaging the frames.

Interestingly there is also a curved very thin blackend brass fillet that comes out with the lens, I wonder if it is there to help keep the lenses in shape?

Respond to this message   

(Login MGB690)
Forum Member

I've made them in the past

January 27 2010, 7:46 PM 

...and I still have the material which was not easy to find. It's a very close match to the original, especially in thickness, but naturally it's clear unlike the aged originals. The lenses are handmade and although I haven't made a pair for several years I could knock out some more if there's any interest. I just need to find the time. Click on my name and email me if you are interested. 

They are curved to closely match the curve on originals and that is one of the tricky bits to acheive as it's a complex curve and if it's not right they won't go into the frames- it's a bit of an art actually and I usually mess up a lens or two in the process, which is a bugger because all the shaping work (cutting, filing and sanding) needs to be complete before they are shaped.

The fit is usually a little tight but they shouldn't affect the frame. You do need to make sure the metal shim is located correctly as well- I suspect it's there to assist with sliding the lenses into place- a bit like a washer.

Here's a shot comparing an original on the left to the new on the right.

[linked image]

This is a complete pair

[linked image]

A fitted example.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Ben
(Login Philip.ed)
Forum Member

Great work!

January 29 2010, 12:00 PM 

Really super work there. wink.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login wanganui)

Contact

January 30 2010, 5:47 AM 

Hi Andrew, i can't seem to sent you a PM, would it be possible to contact me at; kgf1964@hotmail.com with regard to your MkIII lenses?? Thanks, Kerry.

Respond to this message   

(Login MGB690)
Forum Member

Re: Contact

January 30 2010, 11:17 PM 

Will do Kerry, and i'll check my profile to see if i'm accepting them. cheers

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - would that also work for....
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index