<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Ok, Gents, this one is a strange bird!....

July 13 2010 at 3:31 PM

(Login AirMarshall)
Forum Member
from IP address 68.223.235.87

Possibly WWII Tankers Helmet? Paratroops? Glider Pilot? Mock up for research? Post WWII?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170512849869&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Never saw one as this prior!

Regards,
Glenn T.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Alex
(Login gate1)
Forum Member

Re: Ok, Gents, this one is a strange bird!....

July 13 2010, 4:06 PM 

I saw this and was going to flag it up too. I'm sure someone here has had one on the forum, but otherwise, I've not seen anything like it either. Bizarre!! It looks like it would take 'C Type' earphones..?

Respond to this message   

(Login AirMarshall)
Forum Member

Alex, can't find any.....

July 13 2010, 11:38 PM 

....discerning markings, but it has C Type tendencies, but only the ear cup holders and the inside doughnuts. I guess we can rule out the tanker, glider and paratrooper helmet, as they would have a hard shell. Now I'm stuck. It's leather, possibly holding C Type receivers within the tied/hooked cotton/linen/canvas apparatus....Hmmm. Again, post WWII? Ack Ack Gunner headset? Observer of some sort? Open Air cockpit Flighter? RAC? Looks like we'll need to ask Mr. Prodger, unless one of our contributors can shed some light on this one!

Regards,
Glenn T.

Respond to this message   

(Login ToineS)
553 Sqdn

Threaded metal headphone holders

July 14 2010, 1:03 AM 

What.(RAF) headphones would fit in those?
Doesn't sound very C-type to me.

Very weird, impractical (and improbable) setup...
I haven't a clue who could've or would've used it.
To me it has a bit of a US feel to it. What makes it RAF other than the seller saying so? Does it have RAF markings?

Cheers, Toine

Respond to this message   
Alex
(Login gate1)
Forum Member

Re: Threaded metal headphone holders

July 14 2010, 5:39 AM 

Its not so much an RAF look, but the earcups looked a bit C Type-ish (I didnt read the threaded metal bit - even more weird!). Definately has the American look with that chincup, not really a feature on Brit headgear. I dont really see the need for the canvas straps unless it was meant to tie the whole thing tighter to the head?

Looking at photo 7 there appears to be a civvy type label with 'LAR' on it, is that a clue to someone? Outside that I can only think its some type of civilian item, or a trial or prototype.

Respond to this message   

Chris K
(Premier Login AOC553)
Forum Owner

Markings

July 14 2010, 7:34 AM 

I took the "LAR" to be part of "LARGE". Writeup states medium size -- neither "medium" nor "large" would be appropriate RAF sizes (1-4, etc).

The ear housings resemble the A-11 series -- albeit covered in leather.

The whole layout is a hazard -- the tie-strings would likely catch on any rough edges, etc.

Respond to this message   

Ben
(Login Philip.ed)
Forum Member

Re: Markings

July 14 2010, 11:11 AM 

Everything about it screams civvy to me, or even some kind of designer brands idea of a cool aviation-helmet.

Respond to this message   

(Login AirMarshall)
Forum Member

Mick's expert take on this item......

July 14 2010, 11:40 AM 

Emailed Mick this morning regarding this piece, and here's an excerpt from his email back to me......

"Regarding the helmet on Ebay - no idea why the seller has it listed as RAF. Obviously it isn't RAF, nor is it British. I have seen several of these helmets over the past few years and the construction and labeling suggests US manufacture - beyond that I really have no idea. I am not even convinced it's a flying helmet because of the lack of reference and because the ear cups are metal and very, very heavy - and it's a very difficult helmet to put on and take off (in an emergency). This is a helmet that you put on and leave on until you are done! Perhaps for wearing underneath a diver's hard hat? Again, I would think there would be some reference."

In any event, I imagine most will steer clear of this one. I like Ben's "Designer" take! Maybe it's a Ralph Lauren "Wired for Sound" Polo Helmet worn by Prince Charles during a match!

Best to all,
Glenn T.

Respond to this message   

Ben
(Login Philip.ed)
Forum Member

Re: Mick's expert take on this item......

July 14 2010, 12:18 PM 

Well, certainly if you go into some designer shops, their take on Safari items for use in Africa are far from practical.... wink.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login slege)

RAF wantabe

July 14 2010, 1:56 PM 

I remember seeing something similar to this in a 30's movie.
It was about speed boat racing. In the movie they had two man crews which need a helmet and microphone to communicate with each other because of engine noise. I don't remember the name of the movie. By the way it was American.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Ok, Gents, this one is a strange bird!....
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index