<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Early C type helmet

May 1 2012 at 12:16 PM
jb  (Login jb76)
Forum Member
from IP address 85.210.138.226

I have owned for a number of years a very early c type helmet. It only two press studs for attachemnet of the first E masks and four gogle retaining straps in the "up and down" configuration.

It is named inside, when I got it I tried to research it but drew a blank. Today whilst idling on the net I thought I would give it another go. It would appear to have belonged to a pilot lost on over Stutgard in 1944. This has me puzzled as if this is his helmet should he not have been wearing it at the time?

As it is too good a condition to have been replaced due to wear and tear, I am wondering on other possibilities, were aircrew issued more than one helmet at a time? Or is it possible that as it is such an early C type configured only for the E mask, would he have been issued another helmet when those masks were withdrawn from service?

Any thoughts? Cheers Jb

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Chris K
(Premier Login AOC553)
Forum Owner

Name vs service number

May 2 2012, 8:08 AM 

Does your helmet have just the name or service number. You can imagine the RAF likely had dozens of "John Smith's" and it would be extremely difficult to attribute an item to a particular John Smith. Clearly much easier to do if a service number is present. Officers are far easier to research than ORs.

Respond to this message   
jb
(Login jb76)
Forum Member

funny you should say that...

May 2 2012, 10:17 AM 

funny you should say that, it is named to a Smith! It being such a common name I am not surprised I drew a blank when first looked into it (pre internet days, for me anyway). However it also has his three initial letters and service number, I fed that all into the net and up he popped. So I am fairly certain I have found the correct chap.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index