<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Interesting RAAF Pilot Battle Dress??

May 29 2012 at 11:06 PM
  (Login jwdp31357)
Forum Member
from IP address 58.160.104.3

Just picked up a battle dress to a RAAF pilot out of the trunk direct from the family.

It is standard RAF blue, with 'Australia' shoulder titles but has an English made set of RAAF pilots wings attached.

I have never seen this combo before, always if in RAF blue & Aussie shoulder titles with RAF pilots wings.

Has anyone seen this combo before??

Cheers Jason

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login gate1)
Forum Member

Re: Interesting RAAF Pilot Battle Dress??

May 30 2012, 3:43 AM 

Hi Jason

Yes I have, and the same for service dress tunics, although as you know, any RAAF battledress is rare. Sounds like a lovely example.

I have a 1944 dated RAAF nav BD. It belonged to a bloke named Cooper and was given to me by his widow. I met her during research for my forthcoming book on 617 Sqn, as she had been childhood friends and then the fiancee of Gibsons bomb Aimer, Fred Spafford. After he was confirmed killed, she met and married Cooper and hearing of my collecting interest had someone send it over to me.

I know Dave Shannon used an RAF BD, with titles, but I am pretty sure with Aussie made wings. I'll dig out my photos and if they turn out to be Brit, I'll post a photo.

Respond to this message   

(Login vdimattina)
Forum Member

Shannon's BD Pic

May 31 2012, 9:14 AM 

Don't know if you have this shot.[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login gate1)
Forum Member

Re: Shannon's BD Pic

May 31 2012, 12:07 PM 

That's basically it, there were a number taken at Syerston in mid January 1943, of Shannon and his crew, after a raid on Berlin. As I thought, Aussie made wings on an RAF BD with titles.

Respond to this message   

(Login jwdp31357)
Forum Member

Australian Made Wings

June 2 2012, 7:22 AM 

By the look of their shape, Australian made wings too, cheers

Jason

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Interesting RAAF Pilot Battle Dress??
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index