<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

RCAF MAEWEST... Anyone got one?

June 4 2012 at 1:00 PM
  (Login Hurriboy)
Forum Member
from IP address 86.177.54.187

Hi guy's

Been a few weeks since i last posted on here, Im puttinng together some kit for re enactment purposes and looking for a rcaf 32 pattern maewest.. Yes.... i know E-bay does throw up the odd one now and again but i dont believe in paying way over the going rate for one just for the thrill of outbidding a fellow collector.Last one yesterday went for COUGH!!! £340.00... it was Mint or so it said but comon... really £340.00??? is it me or are ebay prices loony prices or actually a good reflection on what things are worth, or what somone with too much dosh is willing to pay? Id be interested in hearing remarks from you guys in this instance. I do want to pay the average price for one but not the over blown prices that one would pay on ebay..

So... if anyone has one for sale or knows of one where i can get one then please let me know.. doesent have to be mint, in fact id rather one in used condition and under £300.00 please.

Regards

Mac

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Toine
(Login ToineS)
553 Sqdn

Well, that's collecting for you..

June 4 2012, 7:02 PM 

What one finds utterly proposterous, the other finds a bargain. And isn't that part of the charm? Finding a good bargain. For you that is?
I think GBP 340 for a Canadian 32 pattern is not too bad at all. Seeing an RAF (green) one fetches over GBP 1000...

There has been a yellow 32 pattern an David Farnsworth' site for ages. Unfortunately, now I want to check his price, it is reserved. The price is no longer visible. You could ask him though....
http://www.historicflyingclothing.com/shop.php

What I'm trying to say is the Bay has great bargains and great rip-offs. It's up to you to choose what to buy and what not to.
If the item you find too expensive sells in the end, then apparently it wasn't too expensive (for someone else).

Cheers, Toine

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login Hurriboy)
Forum Member

rcaf Maewest

June 5 2012, 12:38 PM 

Toine

i do agree with most of what you said, i think what i am trying to say is that ebay does kind of set a precedence for vendors to slap on prices that reflect what the highest price of an item sold for on ebay last week ect ... now this is fine for auction sites as one would always expect a bidding war but other Jason spilt over into other areas . i used to see this when i used to attend a small but fruitfull military fair at good old Tilbury docks in Essex. For example a pair of repro 36pattern boots from a well known maker who mo longer makes em was selling them for 190.00 gbp one week then after a pair sold on ebay for 190 nearly 400.00 hey presto ... week after he was asking for 400 quid.. i think with this way of thinking slowly but surely turns an already expensive hobby into one that is mainly only for those with fat wallets.... good for business but not good for the average Joe who is also a collector.

Respond to this message   

(Login ToineS)
553 Sqdn

There is that..

June 6 2012, 9:10 AM 

But wouldn't the seller eventually revert back to the old price?
If it didn't sell for 190, why would it sell for 400?

Even on eBay I see these fluctuations. It's just the Market and it's workings I think
E.g. the credit crunch had it's effect; prices were well down. Not for long, granted. But still.

In the long run however, prices will go up, there is no denying. As Chris indicated in another postinh, demand will rise for current kite so better stock up now while it is still around. 20 years from now you're bound to get twice what you paid for. Hold on a bit longer and you might strike gold. Certainly with the reduction in Armed Forces and consequently the reduction in kit, these will become collectibles earlier than WW2 kit...

(And on and on he goes... ) Just the ramblings of an old fool....

Cheers, Toine

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - RCAF MAEWEST... Anyone got one?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index