Back to the Start!  

Romney the Bully of Gays

May 10 2012 at 4:27 PM

(Login pearlgurl)
Team Everything

To care, or not to care, that is the question.

So I'm not sure how to feel about this story. He sounds like he was an utter douchenozzle then and is rather unapologetic now. On the other hand, this happened in the sixties. Teenage boys are only one step removed from re-enacting key scenes from "Lord of the Flies" at any given moment and what he did was very much condoned and common at the time. Is bringing it up now relevant to the content of his character, or just a cynical political move?

(05-10) 11:55 PDT WASHINGTON (AP) --

Mitt Romney apologized Thursday to classmates he may have offended by "hijinks and pranks during high school" and insisted he didn't know that some were gay.

The Republican presidential candidate issued the apology during a hastily arranged radio interview after The Washington Post reported Thursday that he had held down classmate John Lauber and cut off his bleached blond hair when they were students at a prestigious boarding school in the wealthy Detroit suburb of Bloomfield Hills, Mich.

The Post suggested Lauber was bullied because he was gay.

"The people involved didn't come out of the closet until years later," Romney told a Fox News radio show. "I had no idea that this person might have been gay."

"I participated in a lot of hijinks and pranks during high school and some may have gone too far. And for that I apologize," he added.

Respond to this message   
Response TitleAuthorDate
 Re: Romney the Bully of GaysBider SpiteMay 10, 2012, 4:43 PM
 Re: Romney the Bully of GaysGinnyMay 10, 2012, 4:48 PM
  Re: Romney the Bully of Gays May 10, 2012, 5:07 PM
   Re: Romney the Bully of Gays May 10, 2012, 5:40 PM
   Re: Romney the Bully of GaysKathleenMay 10, 2012, 5:41 PM
    Re: Romney the Bully of Gays May 11, 2012, 12:53 AM
     Re: Romney the Bully of Gays May 11, 2012, 8:54 AM
      Re: Romney the Bully of GaysPee JayMay 11, 2012, 11:07 AM
       Re: Romney the Bully of Gays May 11, 2012, 11:08 AM