<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!  

Going Vegan

August 8 2011 at 2:26 PM
Comet  (no login)

Hello I am another convertee to veganism. Any vegans out there that can share some easy receipes? Also can someone reccomend a soy yogurt? I eat yogurt as a regular part of my daily routine, so I really do need a substitute for the dairy kind. I tried a vegan chocolate cake yesterday that my friend made using egg replacements, and it was pretty good.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Arwen
(no login)

Re: Going Vegan

August 8 2011, 2:29 PM 

Hi Comet
I have a friend that's a vegan and he may have some suggestions. I could put you in touch with him if you email me happy.gif

Respond to this message   
A Citizen
(no login)

August 8 2011, 2:41 PM 

I was a vegan for about six years-

Happy to help recommend some books for you:

Vegan with a Vengence, by Chandra Moskowitz

30 Minute Vegan, by Mark Reinfeld, Jennifer Murray

Plus I had the raw food vegan meal at this guys restaurant last week in LA:

Raw: The Uncook Book: New Vegetarian Food for Life by Juliano Brotman, Erika Lenkert

May I ask why you are going Vegan?

Respond to this message   
AnonoFry
(no login)

August 9 2011, 1:21 PM 

FUCK MR. DENG ! FUCK HIM RIGHT IN HIS STUPID FUCKING ASSHOLE !

Respond to this message   
AnonoFry
(no login)

August 9 2011, 1:13 PM 

FUCK MR. DENG ! FUCK HIM RIGHT IN HIS STUPID FUCKING ASSHOLE !

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

August 8 2011, 2:38 PM 

I had a friend growing up who was deathly allergic to eggs and I made her a birthday cake a few times using a little vinegar instead of eggs. I couldn't tell the difference.

Just curious, why go vegan? I don't really care what other people eat, but since you announced it, thought I would ask.

Respond to this message   
Comet
(no login)

August 8 2011, 2:49 PM 

Thanks for all the book reccomendations and the vinegar suggestion. I just don't like eating animal products or products that come from animals. I have been lacto vegetarian for a long time and now it is just about not eating dairy anymore. I am not looking to convert anyone to my way of thinking, but if I don't need to eat meat for survival then why should I. The mom and pop farms are a thing of the past and I am disgusted by "factory farming".

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

August 8 2011, 2:52 PM 

That's cool, I was just wondering. Like I said, I really don't care what other people eat and I didn't get the vibe you were trying to be preachy about it, at all.

Respond to this message   
Comet
(no login)

August 8 2011, 2:55 PM 

Thanks Arwen. I just sent you an email.

Respond to this message   
Anny
(no login)

August 8 2011, 2:59 PM 

I would die if I went Vegan. Literally. I survive on dairy and meat.

Respond to this message   
Lea
(no login)

August 8 2011, 3:22 PM 

Try the Skinny Bitch books. They are vegan and have some good suggestions.

I was vegan for about a month after watching Food, Inc.

Respond to this message   
ILBT
(no login)

August 8 2011, 3:25 PM 

Aren't eggs an animal product?

Respond to this message   
Aurora
(no login)

August 8 2011, 3:27 PM 

Yes, that's why egg "replacements" were used.

Good for you Comet. I'm envious. I'd like to get there one day.

Lea, if i may ask, after a month, why did you go back to animal products?

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

August 8 2011, 3:28 PM 

LOL Lea.

I was a vegetarian for a year after reading Food Inc and watching Super Size Me.

Respond to this message   

Dr. Zhivago
(Login Dr.Zhivago)
Devils

August 8 2011, 3:39 PM 

Can you eat peanut butter?

Land sakes alive, the steak's alive.

Respond to this message   
Brooke
(no login)

October 6 2011, 2:56 PM 

Try watching Earthlings...Food Inc. was the Disney version of that.

Respond to this message   
PearlGurl
(no login)

August 8 2011, 3:47 PM 

Once a month I join some friends for a potluck and wine tasting. Two are vegans and one is soy and gluten-free. I didn't eat meat and seldom ate poultry for many years, so I know what it's like to get stuck nibbling on the garnishes. That's why I decided to challenge myself to bring something tasty each month that everybody could enjoy. It has been seven months of interesting salads and made me realize that I could go vegan if I really wanted to. There's just too much tasty cheese and seafood to ever consider it. Potato salad with peanut sauce was probably the most popular recipe that I came up with for the group. It's especially nice for potlucks because you don't have the same food-safety concerns as traditional recipes with mayo and eggs.
Try looking for recipes with quinoa in them. It is one of the few plant-based foods that have a complete protein, plus it's delicious and has a nice crunchy texture and soaks up dressings nicely. I use it to make tabbouleh-type recipes

Respond to this message   
Soozin
(no login)

August 8 2011, 4:07 PM 

I don't think I could go vegan. I could maybe do "veggie + fish" ... but I'd be grumpy.

And the one good thing about my boy moving me out to the sticks has been this real mom & pop farm we found. They're the real deal. Free range everything - cows, pigs, chickens and eggs. I practically run over the egg chickens when I pull in, the roosters are always showing off, and the cows are always hanging out in the big pond. They also have a 3-legged dog. Well, not totally 3-legged, but she has a bum paw from "having a disagreement with one of the hogs."

The taste/texture is unbelievable, and the people are soooo sweet. It's a little less than twice as expensive as the grocery store, but the lack of guilt is priceless. And the boy's kid will not eat anything green, so I feel better feeding her quality meats if that's all she'll eat.

Respond to this message   
Comet
(no login)

August 8 2011, 4:30 PM 

As long as long as the peanut butter does not contain honey then it is vegan.

Respond to this message   

Hep C
(Login Hepatitis_C)
Angels

August 8 2011, 4:49 PM 

I was going to respond, but Maddox already said it for me:

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=bsitu_speciesism

Most tofu is made through "factory farming". And lot's of little woodland animals are slaughtered in the harvesting of soy beans.

Have a nice day.

This message has been edited by Hepatitis_C on Aug 8, 2011 4:56 PM

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!