<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!  

Going Vegan

August 8 2011 at 2:26 PM
Comet  (no login)

Hello I am another convertee to veganism. Any vegans out there that can share some easy receipes? Also can someone reccomend a soy yogurt? I eat yogurt as a regular part of my daily routine, so I really do need a substitute for the dairy kind. I tried a vegan chocolate cake yesterday that my friend made using egg replacements, and it was pretty good.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

Re: Going Vegan

August 8 2011, 2:29 PM 

Hi Comet
I have a friend that's a vegan and he may have some suggestions. I could put you in touch with him if you email me happy.gif

Respond to this message   
A Citizen
(no login)

August 8 2011, 2:41 PM 

I was a vegan for about six years-

Happy to help recommend some books for you:

Vegan with a Vengence, by Chandra Moskowitz

30 Minute Vegan, by Mark Reinfeld, Jennifer Murray

Plus I had the raw food vegan meal at this guys restaurant last week in LA:

Raw: The Uncook Book: New Vegetarian Food for Life by Juliano Brotman, Erika Lenkert

May I ask why you are going Vegan?

Respond to this message   
AnonoFry
(no login)

August 9 2011, 1:21 PM 

FUCK MR. DENG ! FUCK HIM RIGHT IN HIS STUPID FUCKING ASSHOLE !

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

August 8 2011, 2:38 PM 

I had a friend growing up who was deathly allergic to eggs and I made her a birthday cake a few times using a little vinegar instead of eggs. I couldn't tell the difference.

Just curious, why go vegan? I don't really care what other people eat, but since you announced it, thought I would ask.

Respond to this message   
Comet
(no login)

August 8 2011, 2:49 PM 

Thanks for all the book reccomendations and the vinegar suggestion. I just don't like eating animal products or products that come from animals. I have been lacto vegetarian for a long time and now it is just about not eating dairy anymore. I am not looking to convert anyone to my way of thinking, but if I don't need to eat meat for survival then why should I. The mom and pop farms are a thing of the past and I am disgusted by "factory farming".

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

August 8 2011, 2:52 PM 

That's cool, I was just wondering. Like I said, I really don't care what other people eat and I didn't get the vibe you were trying to be preachy about it, at all.

Respond to this message   
Comet
(no login)

August 8 2011, 2:55 PM 

Thanks Arwen. I just sent you an email.

Respond to this message   
Anny
(no login)

August 8 2011, 2:59 PM 

I would die if I went Vegan. Literally. I survive on dairy and meat.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

August 8 2011, 3:22 PM 

Try the Skinny Bitch books. They are vegan and have some good suggestions.

I was vegan for about a month after watching Food, Inc.

Respond to this message   
ILBT
(no login)

August 8 2011, 3:25 PM 

Aren't eggs an animal product?

Respond to this message   
Aurora
(no login)

August 8 2011, 3:27 PM 

Yes, that's why egg "replacements" were used.

Good for you Comet. I'm envious. I'd like to get there one day.

Lea, if i may ask, after a month, why did you go back to animal products?

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

August 8 2011, 3:28 PM 

LOL Lea.

I was a vegetarian for a year after reading Food Inc and watching Super Size Me.

Respond to this message   

(Login Dr.Zhivago)
XXX

August 8 2011, 3:39 PM 

Can you eat peanut butter?

Land sakes alive, the steak's alive.

Respond to this message   
Brooke
(no login)

October 6 2011, 2:56 PM 

Try watching Earthlings...Food Inc. was the Disney version of that.

Respond to this message   
PearlGurl
(no login)

August 8 2011, 3:47 PM 

Once a month I join some friends for a potluck and wine tasting. Two are vegans and one is soy and gluten-free. I didn't eat meat and seldom ate poultry for many years, so I know what it's like to get stuck nibbling on the garnishes. That's why I decided to challenge myself to bring something tasty each month that everybody could enjoy. It has been seven months of interesting salads and made me realize that I could go vegan if I really wanted to. There's just too much tasty cheese and seafood to ever consider it. Potato salad with peanut sauce was probably the most popular recipe that I came up with for the group. It's especially nice for potlucks because you don't have the same food-safety concerns as traditional recipes with mayo and eggs.
Try looking for recipes with quinoa in them. It is one of the few plant-based foods that have a complete protein, plus it's delicious and has a nice crunchy texture and soaks up dressings nicely. I use it to make tabbouleh-type recipes

Respond to this message   
Soozin
(no login)

August 8 2011, 4:07 PM 

I don't think I could go vegan. I could maybe do "veggie + fish" ... but I'd be grumpy.

And the one good thing about my boy moving me out to the sticks has been this real mom & pop farm we found. They're the real deal. Free range everything - cows, pigs, chickens and eggs. I practically run over the egg chickens when I pull in, the roosters are always showing off, and the cows are always hanging out in the big pond. They also have a 3-legged dog. Well, not totally 3-legged, but she has a bum paw from "having a disagreement with one of the hogs."

The taste/texture is unbelievable, and the people are soooo sweet. It's a little less than twice as expensive as the grocery store, but the lack of guilt is priceless. And the boy's kid will not eat anything green, so I feel better feeding her quality meats if that's all she'll eat.

Respond to this message   
Comet
(no login)

August 8 2011, 4:30 PM 

As long as long as the peanut butter does not contain honey then it is vegan.

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

August 8 2011, 4:49 PM 

I was going to respond, but Maddox already said it for me:

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=bsitu_speciesism

Most tofu is made through "factory farming". And lot's of little woodland animals are slaughtered in the harvesting of soy beans.

Have a nice day.

This message has been edited by Hepatitis_C on Aug 8, 2011 4:56 PM

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

August 8 2011, 4:53 PM 

I only had to eat tofurkey once to realize I could never be completely vegan. Worst gas ever.

Plus when you have a history of breast cancer in your family, it's not a good idea to eat too much soy products.

Respond to this message   
A Citizen
(no login)

August 8 2011, 5:32 PM 

Vegan doesn't mean thin- or necessarily healthy.

Respond to this message   
Lea
(no login)

August 8 2011, 5:33 PM 

Why did I go back? I think it had something to do with out of sight out of mind. The dramatic feelings that I had watching Food, Inc. faded. Also, I was lured by the smell of meat grilling at one of my favorite establishments on a day that I was ravenous. I still pay attention to what I am eating though.

I do not eat ground meat AT ALL and I try to avoid chicken unless it's breasts are proportional to its legs.

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

August 8 2011, 5:46 PM 

Totally agree, AC. There's plenty of crap food that's completely vegan.

But like I said, everyone is allowed to eat what they want. Meat eaters who get preachy and jugdmental are just as annoying to me as vegans who get preachy.

Respond to this message   
Squid Boy
(no login)

August 8 2011, 6:16 PM 

I'm not sure I'd like the pointy ears, and the whole forswearance of emotions would be a real bummer. I don't think I could do it.

Well, to each his own. Live long and prosper, and all that!

Respond to this message   

Funk
(Login Funkenstien)
XXX

August 8 2011, 6:34 PM 

Yeah Lea, I'm with you. A large breast doesn't really appeal to me, as long as the chick's proportional and takes care of herself.

I try to maintain an attitude similar to Ginny, to each his own and all that. As such, I was surprised that I got upset to learn that honey isn't "vegan". Seriously? What's the justification there? I mean, something's got to pollinate all those vegetables. It seems like beekeepers and vegans would have a mutually beneficial relationship.

This message has been edited by Funkenstien on Aug 8, 2011 6:35 PM

Respond to this message   
aurora
(no login)

August 8 2011, 6:37 PM 

I think honey would be OK if it were the bees selling it at farmers markets. But because we kinda have to drug them to get the honey away from them, it doesn't qualify.

Respond to this message   

Funk
(Login Funkenstien)
XXX

August 8 2011, 6:45 PM 

Wow. It really just blows my mind that people could think that way. Humans are violating the innate bee-hood of a colony by taking their honey? It's bee-cruelty? After we give them all that tasty agricultural pollen and cozy homes? Unbee-lievable.

I think if I had to choose between being Amish and Vegan, I would choose to be Amish.

Respond to this message   
Aurora
(no login)

August 8 2011, 6:49 PM 

Well the point of veganism is to avoid other animals products, and to avoid harming other animals.

If we need to drug them (smoke them) to get their honey, then we are harming them.

It's really no different than the cow. We aren't killing the cow when we milk her, but we are hurting her.

Respond to this message   

Funk
(Login Funkenstien)
XXX

August 8 2011, 6:52 PM 

Speak for yourself, I have better technique.

Respond to this message   

jollyroger
(Login jollyroger317)
AAA

August 8 2011, 6:40 PM 

I'm with Anny.
I'd die as a vegan as well.
For the Vegans, enjoy your veganism-ness.
As for me, I'm going to go order a meat lover's pizza with extra cheese now.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

August 8 2011, 6:56 PM 

I think Im at a happy medium of being aware of where my food comes from and making intelligent decisions about what I put in my body, now. I needed to go there to get here. I thought I wanted that hamburger but then I found out how it got into that paper wrapper and I changed my mind. I thought that all strawberries were healthy and then I learned what it took to get them big and red and so I thought again. Im not preachy but I do care what you eat because I care about people in general. My only suggestion on this board is that you learn how food is processed so that you can make intelligent decisions and ultimately healthy choices about what you and your family are eating.

Respond to this message   

(Login Lizzlee)
XXX

August 8 2011, 7:01 PM 

When you have four mouths to feed, it's kind of hard to spend "a little less than twice" what you pay at the grocery store. No offense, Soozin.

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

August 8 2011, 7:01 PM 

Penn & Teller did an episode of "Bullshit!" about organic food that was really good.

http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/episodes.do?episodeid=133985&ep=706

Respond to this message   
Lea
(no login)

August 8 2011, 7:12 PM 

Yeah. Not much of a Penn and Teller fan but I get what they are saying. Bottom line...know where your food comes from.

Respond to this message   
A Citizen
(no login)

August 8 2011, 7:19 PM 

I was vegan, as most everyone knows for about seven years.

I was a crappy vegan, eating a lot of bread and pasta. I was creeping back up weight wise.

Anyway- I still can't eat cow. Mostly because of the way cow is processed. Unless its grass fed I can't eat it. Hamburger is the worst. Its sick, diseased dairy cows, spent from years of milk production where they are fed hormones and antibiotics until they are completely wasted, then "combined" into hamburger. That means that the hamburger you are eating can be hundreds of cows mixed together. When I see it, it honestly makes me retch.

Pork, Lamb, Eggs, Chicken and fish- no problem. Only eat one meat portion a day- mostly farm raised organic if at all possible.

Respond to this message   
Squid Boy
(no login)

August 9 2011, 8:25 AM 

Question:

Does milking a cow really 'hurt' it? I was under the impression that a cow was unhappy when it wasn't milked.

Not that I agree that domesticating animals according to humane practices is wrong anyway - but I didn't know that tidbit if it is true.

If we ate grass, no cow on Earth would hesitate to eat it all at our expense in it's effort to survive. I have never been convinced that being carnivorous is wrong, given a majority(?) of the animals on Earth are naturally so. I'm guessing majority because most bugs are carnivorous.

Respond to this message   
A Citizen
(no login)

August 9 2011, 8:37 AM 

You are confusing two issues here Squid. Cruelty to animals is inherent in the diary and meat industry. The reason is the end product. In the diary industry it is to maximize the volume of milk. In meat industry, it is to maximize the volume of harvestable meat. Cows are designed to eat grain. They are designed to eat grass, which doesn't fatten them up as quickly. When they eat grain, the get sick and basically start to shit themselves to death. Bacterial infections run rampant. These animals are sick by design. That's what you are eating is a purposely I'll animal.

It's not a matter of competting for a resource like grass- we live on a grass planet. It's the mechanism of the industry that's in practice here.

Respond to this message   
A Citizen
(no login)

August 9 2011, 8:38 AM 

Cows aren't designed to eat grain...

Respond to this message   
Squid Boy
(no login)

August 9 2011, 8:54 AM 

I'm not confusing anything, I'm talking about something completely different than you are.

I asked if milking a cow hurt it.

Then I said that all things want to survive, and a cow (and pretty much every other creature on Earth) would choose its own survival over that of any other creature it has not spawned itself. For this reason I do not have the underlying sympathy with living creatures where I'd say, "I'll eat nothing with a face or products from them." They'd eat me in a second most of them to survive, or they'd take my other resources without hesitation if we shared the same needs. I clearly said, "IF WE ATE GRASS as a hypothetical scenario in which we competed with cows... I do realize that we do not actually compete with cows. I know that Veggies and Vegans would say we're supposed to be higher evolved creatures with the ability to make good choices, but I'd pretty much respond that nearly all of human history and my daily interactions with people contravene that fairly handily.

You're having a completely separate conversation about today's "Jungle" which we've had many times, and I agree with you. I've read the same books you have, and this ground is well traveled. My question remains, not "What do cows naturally eat, and how have we perverted the production of milk and beef?" but, "Does milking a cow hurt it?"

:P

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

August 9 2011, 9:48 AM 

I have helped out at a goat farm for a couple of springs now and I have been in the room when the momma goats are milked by machine and by hand and I can tell you that milking a goat doesn't hurt it and indeed helps relieve the weight and stress of a full udder. 100%.

I assume that applies to cows as well happy.gif

Respond to this message   
O.A.
(no login)

August 9 2011, 9:56 AM 

It does. I grew up on a farm. Cows RUN to you to be milked. And our cows ate grain feed and sorghum hay. I never saw one shit itself to death.

A lot of this is propaganda. I'm not stupid - I know there is abuse in factory farms, however, even the guy that wrote that Food, Inc. book (or whichever one was all over TV for a while there) said there are no absolutes in this equation. Saying ALL of it is diseased is overstating, a bit.

I've heard similar tales lately related to the paleo diet - that if you eat grains you've got feces in your bloodstream and are basically killing yourself. With grain. Ok. Everybody's got a platform I guess.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

August 9 2011, 10:00 AM 

re: "It does"

Are you saying it does hurt them?

Respond to this message   
O.A.
(no login)

August 9 2011, 10:02 AM 

No, sorry, saying "it does" apply, in answer to your question.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

August 9 2011, 10:02 AM 

Ooooh

Never mind happy.gif

Respond to this message   
A Citizen
(no login)

August 9 2011, 10:07 AM 

Squid, yes- when a cow is relieved of milk, it feel good. BUT, you are missing a HUGE point in thinking that there is anything even remotely "natural" in the state of the dairy industry.

There are no accurate studies in the USA about dairy cow mortality. The reasons are if you knew what hell these animals went through, and the fact that they have a 50% higher mortality rate than feedlot cows, yet are still sold (94%) to slaughter houses for your McShitburger- you would NEVER drink milk or hamburger AGAIN.

From a 2007 study: Euthanasia (of dairy cattle) due to lameness or injury (20.0%); mastitis (16.5%); calving problems (15.2%); respiratory problems (11.3%); scours, diarrhea, or other digestive problems (10.4%); lack of coordination or severe depression (1.0%); poison (0.4%); other known reasons (10.2%); and unknown reasons (15.0%).

WHO THE FUCK CARES IF MILKING HURTS THEM??

http://www.extension.org/pages/25469/adult-dairy-cow-mortality

Respond to this message   
O.A.
(no login)

August 9 2011, 10:09 AM 

Seriously? This is going straight on my list after religion and politics. Jesus.

Respond to this message   
AnonoFry
(no login)

August 9 2011, 10:16 AM 

The fact is that in most dairy farms, their calves are taken away at birth, and then they're filled with hormones to keep them lactating long after they would naturally stop. This causes tons of problems, one of which is mastitis. Any woman here who has breastfed and had mastitis knows that it is one of the most physically painful experiences. Now imagine having a machine clamped on to your infected, swollen boob. Yes getting rid of the milk is probably a relief but does milking hurt? I would imagine that in the case of cows with chronic mastitis (which according to this study can be up to 40%:http://animsci.agrenv.mcgill.ca/courses/450/topics/13.pdf) that the answer is definitely yes.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

August 9 2011, 10:24 AM 

I'm losing track of the point here, so I'll summarize:

- comet is now a vegan
- milking does not hurt a healthy cow (or goat)
- factory farms contain many diseased and unhealthy cows that you probably don't want to eat
- cows would eat us given the chance

Did I miss anything?

Respond to this message   
Funk
(no login)

August 9 2011, 10:33 AM 

- Vegans don't know how to make vegetables
- Bees don't like to be drugged
- I have technique

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

August 9 2011, 10:34 AM 

~noted~

happy.gif

Respond to this message   
John
(no login)

Really

October 4 2011, 12:54 PM 

Ran those numbers, it's 100%. Didn't realize all dairy cows are executed; I have some dairy-farming friends who would be real confused as most of theirs die of old age - wait, is that a "known reason"? In thatcase, your quoted study says "All cows die" which is really a rather pointless waste of a study, don't you think?

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

August 9 2011, 10:14 AM 

If God didn't want us to eat animals, then why did he make them delicious?

Actually, it's been a while since someone forced me to read the bible, but isn't there a part in the beginning about God creating the animals for us to eat? I think it's right next to the part about him creating women to serve men, but that's for a different thread I suppose.

So, according to the bible, vegans are flouting the will of God.

Respond to this message   
AnonoFry
(no login)

August 9 2011, 10:22 AM 

Hilarious.

DEFINITELY.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

August 9 2011, 10:30 AM 

Again, not missing anything. You seem to want to enlighten me about something, and I'm sorry I can't say, "Wow, I didn't know that!" to make you feel better.

I have not denied or expressed a lack of information on any of the extraneous points you make, just that they don't have anything to do with whether or not ruminants experience physical pain during the process of milking.

That was my very narrow question, and I got my answer. I cared about that, and that alone when I asked it. I am truly sorry that fact perturbs you.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

August 9 2011, 10:36 AM 

Hah, O.A. Its a touchy subject to some for sure. Now that you bring it up though. Was Jesus a vegan?

Respond to this message   
O.A.
(no login)

August 9 2011, 10:39 AM 

Good question! But, you've hit 2 hot buttons at once. I'm surprised your laptop didn't blow up in your face. :P

Respond to this message   
Lea
(no login)

August 9 2011, 10:40 AM 

Also, that is a serious question.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

August 9 2011, 10:42 AM 

He was a fisherman! No, definitely NOT a vegan.

Loaves and fishes, too.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

August 9 2011, 10:44 AM 

re: "Loaves and fishes"

Jesus invented the tuna salad sandwich.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

August 9 2011, 10:46 AM 

I highly doubt Jesus had access to mayonnaise.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

August 9 2011, 10:55 AM 

Do you think that Jesus couldn't just whip some up? He could walk on water for Heaven's sake, I'm sure he didn't suffer thru a dry fish sandwich happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Lea
(no login)

August 9 2011, 10:45 AM 

LOL! Oh yeah. Teach a man to fish... wow.

Respond to this message   

Funk
(Login Funkenstien)
XXX

August 9 2011, 10:53 AM 

Those loaves had to be made with the assistance some sort of divine pollinator and may or may not have been served with honey.

Respond to this message   
O.A.
(no login)

August 9 2011, 10:54 AM 

Wait..I thought he was a carpenter. Maybe he ate wood?

Mmmm..fiber.

Respond to this message   

(Login Dr.Zhivago)
XXX

August 9 2011, 10:54 AM 

He could turn water into wine but turning eggs and vinegar into mayo left the poor guy scratching his head.

Land sakes alive, the steak's alive.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

August 9 2011, 10:56 AM 

LOL @ Dr Zh. Excatly. Pssh. Child's play.

Respond to this message   
O.A.
(no login)

August 9 2011, 10:57 AM 

Ha!

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

August 9 2011, 11:01 AM 

Sorry - the carpenter thing is right, I'm wrong.

Peter (and some other disciples?) were fishermen. Jesus told them he'd make them fishers of men.

My bad.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

August 9 2011, 11:08 AM 

Then he not only supplied the mayo but also the cedar planks used when BBQing the salmon caught by the disciples.

These bible stories are making me hungry happy.gif

Respond to this message   

PearlGurl
(Login pearlgurl)
AAA

August 9 2011, 11:14 AM 

I don't know if the actual act of milking a cow hurts it. I'm thinking not. Dairy farmers have had over a hundred years to perfect the milking machine in order to make it as easy and profitable as possible. If it hurt or damaged the cows, they would put up a fight or require treatment. I do know that cows have been selectively bred to produce as much milk as possible. They weren't really designed to drag around huge, swollen udders, just enough to feed one or two calves and in more frequent intervals than twice a day. Just like poultry and tomatoes, there is a trade-off between quantity and quality. One of the reasons that European butter and cheese is so good is that the cows are selected for tasty milk, not voluminous output. Buying organic doesn't ensure that the cows have better milk or better lives. I choose to buy conventional dairy products that are produced locally, where I know the farmers and see the cows grazing in the pasture. A lot of the organic milk is produced in large feed lots where the cows are fed organic grain and never get their hooves dirty out in a field, especially the milk sold by giant retailers.

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

August 9 2011, 11:52 AM 

So? How was that pizza, JR?

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

August 9 2011, 12:13 PM 

I'm going to stand outside of hackeysack tournaments and incense stores holding a sign that says, "GOD HATES VEGANS!"

Maybe I'll get on CNN.

Respond to this message   
no1imprtnt
(no login)

October 4 2011, 4:35 PM 

i love attention whores! you could probably get an even bigger audience by pulling your pants down and showing off the world's tiniest penis.

Respond to this message   
aurora
(no login)

August 9 2011, 12:19 PM 

I am under the impression that the milking machines actually do harm the cows, that the constant milking causes cracking in the skin, which introduces bacteria, and is one of the reasons for the need for antibiotics.

I'm sure hand milking would be less of an issue.

But again, you're causing the cow's body to be in an untatual state - producing milk all the time, as opposed to just when it calves.

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

August 9 2011, 1:12 PM 

I'm pretty sure that boiling water is harmful to broccoli, but I'm still going to eat it.

Respond to this message   
Aurora
(no login)

August 9 2011, 1:21 PM 

Yes.... excellent counter point.

Respond to this message   
O.A.
(no login)

August 9 2011, 1:40 PM 

Oddly enough, we have some "meat is murder" people out on the street today, 2 of them taking a shower. Or maybe it was meat's not green. Something or other. Anyway, I just thought there were naked people out there. I peeked. They aren't.

Very disappointing, vegans.

Respond to this message   

liu
(Login Livinitup)
AAA

August 9 2011, 3:15 PM 

This thread reminds me of PCU.

"The charred flesh served in this cafeteria..."
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
whocares
(no login)

October 4 2011, 4:36 PM 

are you sure? next time, to be certain, you should put your hand inside and see.

Respond to this message   
whocares
(no login)

October 4 2011, 4:37 PM 

are you sure? next time, to be certain, you should put your hand inside and see.

Respond to this message   

jollyroger
(Login jollyroger317)
AAA

August 9 2011, 4:51 PM 

Delicious! Thanks for asking Anny! happy.gif

Respond to this message   
ATTENTION
(no login)

October 6 2011, 3:04 PM 

Cracked people: post at the bottom of the old fart board, will you? We don't have all day to scroll up and down looking for your posts about how awesome Michael Pollan is.

Respond to this message   

(Login DJ.)
AAA

October 6 2011, 3:16 PM 

Everyone wave to the drive-by asshole!

163377-Friendly-group-of-people-waving-to-you.jpg

Respond to this message   
barkenstein
(no login)

October 6 2011, 10:14 PM 

We just finished combining 30,000 acres of soybeans.

You want me to send you some?

Respond to this message   
AnonoFry
(no login)

October 10 2011, 7:45 PM 

Just a weird personal anecdote ---

I am a quasi vegetarian (as I call it.. I KNOW it doesn't count! heh.).

I eat dairy (cheese, yogurt).

No milk -- Soybean milk for about 5 or 6 years.

LOTS of Soy products.
Soy burgers.
Soy sausage.
Soy milk.
Soy beans.
Tofu.
Soy Hotdogs.
Soy Cheese.
etc.........................

Anyway, although I know there is no cause and effect between my personal experience ...

After being SOY-PRO-ALL THE TIME... happy.gif
AND... ANTI:
BEEF
PORK
ANY OTHER....

Besides
Chicken, on occasion ...

I was diagnosed with estogen positive breast cancer in early 2008.

WEIRD, eh?

The "protective properties" touted about Soy, et al, back in the day.... had no protective property with me... or did it? Who knows.

Correlation is not causation.

OR.... IS IT?

happy.gif

All that rambled.... I believe WE ALL should adopt a VEGGIE lifestyle as close to 100% as you can.

Respond to this message   
Kohsblocks
(no login)

October 10 2011, 7:46 PM 

YEah... um, that was me. ;_ 0

Respond to this message   
AnonoFry
(no login)

October 17 2011, 8:15 AM 

Soy contains isoflavones, which can act like estrogen and stimulate the growth of certain types of breast cancer.

Respond to this message   
GoldNuggett
(no login)

Dating a Vegan Woman

October 17 2011, 8:57 AM 

To spice up this thread a little, I want to ask you guys something. If you were planning to date a woman who clearly stated that she was a Vegan, and you were not - would that lead to a rocky relationship or would the two find some way to make it work?

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

Re: Dating a Vegan Woman

October 17 2011, 9:17 AM 

It won't work. Being a normal human and dating a vegan is the same as being a full-on Satan worshiper and dating a born again Christian.

Unless you're a masochist, then you'll probably have a great time.

Respond to this message   

PearlGurl
(Login pearlgurl)
AAA

October 17 2011, 10:33 AM 

It would depend on if she includes human bodily fluids in the list of things she won't consume because they're animal products.

Respond to this message   
GoldNuggett
(no login)

October 17 2011, 10:35 AM 

Thanks Hep. You saved me from a fate worst than death.

Respond to this message   

(Login Victoriabitter)
AAA

October 17 2011, 10:45 AM 

PG - SNORF!

Respond to this message   
AnonoPloos
(no login)

October 17 2011, 1:58 PM 

Good for you. Then again, what if that woman was a Chinese hottie?

Respond to this message   
Louise
(no login)

October 18 2011, 10:38 AM 

I was at a bachelorette party once and, as all wild bachelorettes do, we were playing "truth or dare". The bride to be chose "truth". Someone asked her "spit or swallow". She got this totally repulsed look on her face, and said in a scathing voice, "How could you even ask me that? I'm a vegetarian. That's ANIMAL PROTEIN."

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

October 18 2011, 12:25 PM 

So she's ok with wasting it?

Respond to this message   
DownWithHippies
(no login)

October 19 2011, 1:02 PM 

Oh No!! Animal Protein! It's the end of the world as we know it!

Was this woman a stick figure?

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Going Vegan
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!