<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!  

Occupy Wall Street

October 5 2011 at 1:30 PM
O.A.  (no login)

Soooo...nobody gives a shit? I've seen so little about this on television, only read a few articles. Supposedly it's now spreading "across the country" but I'm not really clear where. To me, the most remarkable thing is how resoundingly it's being ignored by the "media."

I know that some women were pepper sprayed last week and that there were several hundred arrests in one day, but they've been mostly peaceful. That it's grown out of some of the European protests, but this one started by a Canadian magazine's call for action, as it were. Sounds like it's mostly young people disillusioned about the future of America.

Thoughts? Feeling? Meh?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Appalled
(no login)

Re: Occupy Wall Street

October 5 2011, 1:41 PM 

Its an interesting approach.

I think Todd should go take pics and report back.

Respond to this message   
O.A.
(no login)

October 5 2011, 1:44 PM 

Agreed. It would be interesting to get a first hand look/feel for what's happening.

And how about those Canadians, always stirring up trouble? The nerve!

Respond to this message   

Dr. Zhivago
(Login Dr.Zhivago)
Devils

October 5 2011, 1:48 PM 

There were people marching down the street in front of the building I work in (Boston). I think they were going to the Bank of America building. I thinking about joining them...

Down with ATM fees! Give me free checking or give me death! Put a branch of my bank closer to my office, please! Even if it's just an ATM kiosk, that's cool! Thanks!

Land sakes alive, the steak's alive.

Respond to this message   

potato
(Login potato222)
Angels

October 5 2011, 1:47 PM 

I see them around but I'm not really even sure what their deal is. They're mad because there are banks and big corporations in NY and there are people who have jobs and are rich?

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

October 5 2011, 1:46 PM 

I guess I could get a little more passionate if someone could tell me what exactly they are protesting?

So far it's been kind of like "Other people have stuff! And I want stuff! Stuff!"

Respond to this message   
Soozin
(no login)

October 5 2011, 1:46 PM 

There's been a few of them in a dominant area of downtown STL. That was fun because the Cardinals had a playoff game at 4, and Obama gave a little speech around 6. Even with all that, the streets of downtown still looked empty. (I work right by the stadium.)

I heard the story about the Occupy people on NPR this morning, and it just totally reminded me of Animal Farm - the book about Communism I had to read in 7th grade. The kids are trying to organize without any organization, but quickly realize that some folks showed up unprepared with no sleeping bags... so what to do? Dip into the general fund and buy some for them ($2000 for 120 sleeping bags is what they said they needed)? Buy material and MAKE sleeping bags for them? Or, what? Maybe they're on their own since they knew what they were getting into, and didn't come prepared?

I think they'll quickly realize that they need SOME sort of leadership and rules, and that mission statement is jibberish (This is the mission statement from their site):

---------

Occupy Wall Street is leaderless resistance movement with people of many colors, genders and political persuasions. The one thing we all have in common is that We Are The 99% that will no longer tolerate the greed and corruption of the 1%. We are using the revolutionary Arab Spring tactic to achieve our ends and encourage the use of nonviolence to maximize the safety of all participants.

---------

What does that even MEAN? Am I part of the 99%??

Respond to this message   
AnonoFry
(no login)

October 5 2011, 1:55 PM 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thepete/6204862602/

It only takes 20 minutes to shift the blame

Respond to this message   
O.A.
(no login)

October 5 2011, 2:06 PM 

I was seeing a lot of that "I am the 99%" stuff.

Right? I can't figure it out. I've seen enough on the web to let me know that the current crop of 20-somethings feel like the world has been screwed up royally by us old folks and that we now owe them...something. A job. A sleeping bag?

All I know is I was a "slacker." I was GenX, the generation that was going to ruin America. If this is what we're raising..then maybe they have a point. Heh.

Respond to this message   

AnonoFry
(Login SquiddyBoy)
Devils

October 5 2011, 2:09 PM 

Huh, they had Ben Bernanke talking about their viewpoints sympathetically while he urged Congress not to make draconian cuts in this economy - so I think they're doing a pretty damn good job. Presumably the only option other than cuts is to tax the rich, and basically that's what they just got the Chairman of the Federal Reserve to tacitly endorse...

Respond to this message   
O.A.
(no login)

October 5 2011, 2:21 PM 

Who did? The protesters? And does tacit approval mean anything will actually happen?

These are genuine questions. I don't see a focus.

Respond to this message   

Squid Boy
(Login SquiddyBoy)
Devils

October 5 2011, 2:25 PM 

Who knows. But when the Fed Chair is expressing his sympathies, you're getting coverage. Which for a protest is the ultimate goal. I feel like they're having an impact, and they might even right the seriously off course trajectory of a tea partier or two - which in itself is a huge win.

Respond to this message   
O.A.
(no login)

October 5 2011, 2:33 PM 

I found that story - New York Magazine. He said he wasn't taking them into account specifically, but that "everyone" should be unhappy with the economy.

Is it the so-called liberal media's fault their voices aren't really being heard by a wider audience? I'm not sure they'll come anywhere near the organization (read: actually swinging elections) of the tea party. I saw something about them lamenting more people "over 30" need to participate. I'm just not sure in what. I'm not too pleased with the current state of things, but that's why I keep my money in my mattress.

Respond to this message   

VB
(Login Victoriabitter)
Angels

October 5 2011, 2:38 PM 

This message has been edited by Victoriabitter on Oct 5, 2011 2:41 PM

Respond to this message   
O.A.
(no login)

October 5 2011, 2:53 PM 

Ok, I read that one, too. I'm still perplexed. This guy is telling me that I'm out of touch and "don't get" this 21st century protest, right? They are having "teach-ins" - teaching each other about the economy and what sucks about it and how the housing market collapsed and derivatives and so forth. That the media is treating them like a bunch of imbeciles because they're operating on a 20th century assumption of how a protest is supposed to work. Fair enough. I'm not being obtuse. I get that "the system" is broken. I think protest is great, but if you can't operate in "the system" as it exists, then maybe you should reexamine where you do want it to lead. I'm all for continuing a conversation..but isn't part of that making a cogent point? They want to "upend the system and make it work like they were promised it would work." I'm all for grassroots and ardently believe it's the only thing that will bring change, but you (in general) know what that sounds like, right?

I'd read that it was spreading. I'm just not sure what "it" is. Does this make me Grandpa Simpson?

Respond to this message   

Dr. Zhivago
(Login Dr.Zhivago)
Devils

October 5 2011, 2:58 PM 

tumblr_lsct5nAYQh1qzptwgo1_500

Land sakes alive, the steak's alive.

Respond to this message   
O.A.
(no login)

October 5 2011, 3:00 PM 

That made me laugh harder than it should have, probably.

Respond to this message   

Squid Boy
(Login SquiddyBoy)
Devils

October 5 2011, 3:06 PM 

I think it sounds like you don't believe that protests do much good, and that this one hasn't changed your mind, O.A.

If they are 'idiots' as you suggest, if even 10% of them learn something intelligent to say on this issue, that too is a win for me.

Respond to this message   
O.A.
(no login)

October 5 2011, 3:10 PM 

I didn't say that at all, nor did I call anyone an idiot. I"m talking about this one specifically and reading up the thread I don't think I'm the only one questioning it. That CNN article seems to corroborate what I was thinking - that the media has been ignoring it, until now. It's been going on since what, mid-September?

Why are you putting words in my mouth? Because I don't automotically agree with you? That's no way to be.

Respond to this message   

Squid Boy
(Login SquiddyBoy)
Devils

October 5 2011, 4:35 PM 

Sorry, you said the media was calling them 'imbeciles' - you didn't call them imbeciles (or idiots) yourself. My bad.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 510 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!