<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!  

Elton John's 3000th public performance

October 10 2011 at 11:24 PM

Chas  (Login prrthd)

This past Saturday Sir Elton John did something that few, if any, others have done in the music world when he played in his 3000th public performance and guess who was at Caesars Palace to see it? Seeing Elton John perform has been a long time bucket list thing for me and it was absolutely nothing short of amazing as he played his million dollar piano for about 1:45.

For the past 26 years when I have been asked what was the best concert I have seen, the answer was always George Thorogood in 1985. Well as of Saturday, George has been relegated to a very distant 2nd and can't even fanthom the idea of possibly seeing a better show than that which Sir Elton put on.

If anyone is going to Vegas in the next 3 years I would strongly recommend you check Caesars Palace website and see if he is playing while you are there and if possible get tickets. He just began a 3 year residency at Caesars.

The setlist included:
The bitch is back
Levon
Rocket man
I guess that's why they call it the blues
Indian sunset
Goodbye yellow brick road
Mona lisas and mad hatters
Hey ahab
Philadelphia freedom
Tiny dancer
Circle of life
Blue eyes
Saturday nights alright for fighting
Crocodile rock
Your song
Benny and the jets
Don't let the sun go down on me

And at least 1 or 2 others that just aren't coming to mind right now.

This message has been edited by prrthd on Oct 10, 2011 11:25 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
mar
(no login)

Re: Elton John's 3000th public performance

October 11 2011, 12:33 AM 

Wow. Just wow. I'm so jealous. wow

Respond to this message   

(Login Maestra)
AAA

October 11 2011, 1:41 AM 

I love elton john!!!!

I saw him with billy joel years ago and it was amazing, but, in my opinion, sir elton blew the piano man away.

Love. Love. Love. Elton. John!!!

So jealous.

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

October 11 2011, 7:28 AM 

I saw him during his Peachtree Road tour a few years back. Me and Mrs. were both way more impressed than we thought we'd be. He opened the 2nd half of his show with Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding, that one song was worth the ticket price. If he comes back around I'd definitely go again.

Respond to this message   
jo
(no login)

October 11 2011, 7:30 AM 

ditto that Maestra

Elton is by far my most favourite. Tried in vain to get tickets twice over the years for concerts here ond in Toronto.

And that set list is killer, mostly older stuff which I love

Glad you got to go Chas

Respond to this message   
A Citizen
(no login)

October 11 2011, 7:52 AM 

I've seen him twice. Once at Dodger Stadium and once at Irvine. The Dodger Stadium was at the height of his popularity- it was nuts.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

October 11 2011, 8:16 AM 

So cool!
I'd love to see him!

Respond to this message   

potato
(Login potato222)
AAA

October 11 2011, 9:59 AM 

I wonder if he's been playing those same songs at all of those shows year after year for the past 30+ years. They're all great songs, but looking at it from his perspective he must get really sick of some of them, right?

Respond to this message   
Lisa
(no login)

October 11 2011, 10:00 AM 

I'd love to see him too!!! That sounds like an amazing show, Chas!

Respond to this message   

Chas
(Login prrthd)

October 11 2011, 11:04 AM 

Here are the pictures I took. Some are better than others but I think that all really demonstrate just what a huge production it really was. I got a picture of every song, except Blue Eyes.

The stage before he came out -
[linked image]
Our seats were directly behind the sound board -
[linked image]
The Bitch Is Back -
[linked image]
Benny And The Jets -
[linked image]
Rocket Man -
[linked image]
Levon -
[linked image]
Your Song -
[linked image]
I'm Still Standing -
[linked image]
Better Off Dead -
[linked image]
Indian Sunset -
[linked image]
Hey Ahab -
[linked image]
Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters -
[linked image]
Tiny Dancer -
[linked image]
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road -
[linked image]
I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues -
[linked image]
Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me -
[linked image]
Philadelphia Freedom -
[linked image]
Philadelphia Freedom -
[linked image]
Crocodile Rock -
[linked image]
Crocodile Rock -
[linked image]
Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting -
[linked image]
Circle Of Life -
[linked image]
The Band Saying Goodnight -
[linked image]

My favorites were Philly Freedom and Indian Sunset. For Indian Sunset it was just EJ and Ray Cooper doing the most amazing percussion work I think I have ever heard. Also on stage were two kids on Cellos from Croatia that EJ found on You Tube performing a Cello version of Welcome To The Jungle. Can you imagine posting a video on You Tube and getting a call from Elton John saying "Hey, I want you to go on tour with me!"

Like someone else posted above, I really wasn't sure what to expect of Elton John and his voice. I have seen some recent footage on You Tube and I expected much less than what I got. He sounded absolutely amazing. I don't know if he was just just well rested, or if the sound at Caesars Palace was just that good but not only was it visually amazing, it was also the highest quality sounding concert I have ever seen/heard in my entire life.

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

October 11 2011, 12:31 PM 

Looks great! You guys do the coolest things

Respond to this message   
Lea
(no login)

October 11 2011, 2:00 PM 

I can hardly look at those pics without getting emotional. I love Elton so much!

Respond to this message   

Louise
(Login jeez_louise)
AAA

October 11 2011, 2:29 PM 

He was here in September - did two shows. We couldn't get tickets, although we tried (there were only 5000 seats each night and tickets sold out within an hour) but friends who went said it was spectacular. Just him and his piano, no backing band, no special effects. Tickets were between $80 and $120.

Seinfeld is coming in December... not sure if he'll garner the same frenzy as Sir Elton did, but we might try to get tickets.

ETA: PS Chas I just sent your list to a friend who was there, and that's pretty much the same setlist as he played here, with a couple of substitutions.
Great pics!

Respond to this message   
jo
(no login)

October 11 2011, 2:33 PM 

dayum those pics make need that concert

looks fabulous

Respond to this message   

Chas
(Login prrthd)

October 11 2011, 3:59 PM 

Lea, There were a few times during the show that I caught myself wanting to cry. It WAS that emotional.

Hmmm, what does that say about my manhood? Ehh, I guess it would take a real man to admit such a thing, so there you go.

Respond to this message   
jo
(no login)

October 11 2011, 4:54 PM 

tru dat Chas

I can't listen to Levon without shedding tears, ever

Elton's tunes besides being great take me back to so many fun times. My sister's album collection when I was 8, hearing Tower of Babel at
bf's house during the 70's, high school slow dances and Don't let the Sun go down on me, AM top 40 before school and Crocodile Rock, wondering why All the Young Girls love Alice then figuring it out and going ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Even had Your Song as our wedding song.

Elton at one time owned the Watford football club which is where my relatives live in England,and although I've been to the stadium and the clubhouse, I never saw him although my cousins have and he played the stadium countless times. One cousin who worked for British Telecom (phone co) got to go into one of his homes in Watford to fix his wiring ---heh--

Respond to this message   

(Login Cuppajo)
EEE

October 11 2011, 5:11 PM 

c'mon, weep with me!

Respond to this message   
shelley
(no login)

October 11 2011, 10:05 PM 

I had the honor of seeing Sir Elton with Billy Joel at the MGM Grand about 5 years ago. Best concert ever. 3+ hours, each played solo and then played together. From the moment those 2 grand pianos rose onto the stage it was magic, and very emotional. Your post brought it all back. Thanks ! Great set list !

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Elton John's 3000th public performance
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!