<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!  

Holiday Tipping

December 12 2011 at 6:10 PM

Lizzlee  (Login Lizzlee)
EEE

Who do you "tip" during the holiday season? Mailman? Garbage guys? Who do you slip a little something extra to, and how much?

This message has been edited by Lizzlee on Dec 12, 2011 6:10 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
AnonoHoHoHo
(no login)

Re: Holiday Tipping

December 12 2011, 6:13 PM 

If the service they provide is top quality, then I would give them something extra.

My parents used give a holiday tip to our paper delivery boy. Always on time. No screw ups what-so-ever.

Respond to this message   

(Login TrulyScrumptious)
EEE

December 12 2011, 8:30 PM 

I have been told that if I tip the garbage men, they will actually lift my can and dump it into the truck, instead of leaving all the loose crap at the bottom of my can. I just never seem to catch them. I tip the kids teachers and tutors, and all my babysitters. No to the mailman.

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

December 12 2011, 9:48 PM 

Interesting...

So I come home from work tonight and there is a card in envelop attached to the door. Not mailed (fine), just stuck in the door.

It is a generic holiday card with printed greeting and printed (computer signature) from our newspaper ... uhmm? delivery person? Delivery company? Not sure because the whole 12 year old paper boy has been gone for decades.

Inside this computer generated greeting is a SELF ADDRESSED ENVELOPE (no stamp). Gee? what would THAT be for?

Are you kidding me????????????????????????????????

Respond to this message   

jollyroger
(Login jollyroger317)
AAA

December 12 2011, 9:52 PM 

I never heard of giving monetary tips to teachers.
Seems too much like a bribe coming from the kid.
Teachers get a small gift, usually with some type of teacher-theme or something related to a hobby they have.

I don't have a consistent mailman, so it doesn't make sense to tip a mailman that you don't really know and maybe has only delivered mail to your house a few times.

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

December 12 2011, 10:01 PM 

Fake Paper Boy.. Roger!

Respond to this message   

jollyroger
(Login jollyroger317)
AAA

December 12 2011, 10:03 PM 

Is it OK to give a fake paper boy fake money?

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

December 12 2011, 10:10 PM 

haha! Yeah! Totally!

Respond to this message   
AnonoGobble
(no login)

December 12 2011, 10:45 PM 

I NEVER tip anybody. They deserve the wage they get . . . not one cent more or less. BAH HUMBUG.

Respond to this message   

coolbreeze
(Login cool.breeze)
EEE

December 13 2011, 12:27 AM 

In the unlikely event I would be on a normal tipping venue (restaurant) on Christmas eve or Christmas, I would tip extra for them working on a holiday. I might have mailed something twice in the past year, so my mail lady ought to be tipping me. The garbagemen would have to drag my can and recycling bin back to my house every week to get a tip. Thy sure as he'll wouldn't get one if they were leaving garbage in the can. That's not even doing what is required, let alone going above expectations.

I went to breakfast with two people over the weekend. My portion of the bill was $7.60. I threw a ten down and these women spent ten minutes discussing my tip that was 'too big'. I'm not carrying around a sack of coins and a calculator to make sure the waitress doesn't get an extra quarter.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I am a hero. - Hep C

Respond to this message   

jiggy
(Login opdm)
AAA

December 13 2011, 1:14 AM 

I don't do any extra tipping for the holidays. I've read that you should tip 100% for haircuts in December. Not gonna happen.

Tipping is such a pain in the ass nowadays anyway. I don't carry cash so, unless I'm signing a debit card receipt with a tip line, you ain't getting a tip.
Sorry, valets
Sorry, hotel room cleaners
Sorry, bellhops (not that I use them anyway)

I live in a cashless world and that antiquated tipping crap is annoying. Just charge enough for the service that you can pay your employees a living wage. It's going to cost me the same amount anyway.

Respond to this message   
AnonoGobble
(no login)

December 13 2011, 8:03 AM 

If somebody left me a Christmas card with a SASE in it, I'd mail them a clue.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
EEE

December 13 2011, 9:39 AM 

I tip the paper-man and the mail man. Back when I could afford a housekeeper, I'd tip them too.

I never thought to tip the trash man. I'm incredibly disinclined to do that, as they suck donkey dicks at what they do. Take ALL the trash away. Once a fucking week. That's your entire job description and you fail regularly. Yeah, no tip for those clowns.

Respond to this message   

(Login Lizzlee)
EEE

December 13 2011, 10:01 AM 

My trash guys are pretty great. They always take everything, PLUS there was one morning when I was sick and didn't get my trash out on time. The garage door happened to be open, and one of the guys walked up my driveway and got the can out of the garage. That's pretty darn good service.

Respond to this message   

PearlGurl
(Login pearlgurl)
AAA

December 13 2011, 10:16 AM 

I have three separate trucks that pick up my garbage, recycling and compost and they either show up before I get out of bed or after I leave for work. I have no idea if they are the same guys every week. It wouldn't occur to me to tip them, or how I would go about doing so. The mail is delivered by a revolving band of temp workers that spend the entirety of their rounds blathering on their cell phones. They can't be bothered to acknowledge my existence if I'm outside. No tip for them. I usually see my hairdresser close to the holidays and do give her a nice tip. In Oregon, you're not allowed to pump your own gas. I normally don't tip gas station attendants unless they scrub my windshield, but do tip them on holidays.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

December 13 2011, 11:48 AM 

Here ya go:
http://www.mainstreet.com/slideshow/smart-spending/holiday-tipping-everything-you-need-know

According to the article, it's illegal to give cash to postal workers. And they say giving gift certificates up to $50 is nice to give to teachers.
I don't tip garbage men or anyone I don't ordinarily tip. But during December I usually tip more at restaurants and to my hairdresser if I see her.
Generally I tip well anyway.

Respond to this message   

Anny
(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

December 13 2011, 11:59 AM 

IKR, anonny? So presumptuous!

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
EEE

December 13 2011, 12:11 PM 

Huh, I always thought you could give them no more than a $20 bill. That's what we do.

Apparently it's ok to give them a $20 or less GIFT, but not cash.

Whatever, I'm fine with corrupting my mailman at this low level.

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

December 13 2011, 12:27 PM 

I am giving the management people where I live a box of see's candy (my rent has gone down three years in a row, they didn't make me pay a pet deposit on my cats, AND I got a new floor and new carpet... hell yeah you can have some candy.) Seems a little weird and below the board to hand them cash somehow, but I wanted to show I appreciated all they've done for me.

Respond to this message   
AnonoGobble
(no login)

December 16 2011, 1:59 AM 

I don't tip. They don't deserve my money. Fucking assholes.

Respond to this message   

jollyroger
(Login jollyroger317)
AAA

December 17 2011, 5:26 PM 

I'm a coach on my daughter's basketball team.
I got a card and a box of dark chocolate thin mints from the team after practice today. happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Holiday Tipping
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!