<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!  

Paula Deen

January 19 2012 at 4:28 PM

(Login pearlgurl)
AAA

So in foodie news, Paula Deen was diagnosed three years ago with Type II Diabetes. She continued to star on a cooking show that promotes "classic Southern cuisine", such as deep-fried dressing and Krispy-Kreme bread pudding. Now she's signed on as a spokesperson for Novo Nordisk promoting diabetes medicine as the solution and says she doesn't plan on making any changes to her cooking show. It is common knowledge that obesity and diet are the main causes of what used to be called adult-onset diabetes, but is now showing up in children. Generally, I don't care what celebrities do unless it involves torturing dogs, sexually exploiting children or something equally reprehensible. Still, Paula bugs me because the last thing that people in the United States needs to hear is that they can take medication instead of taking direct responsibility for their health and giving up the butter-coated deep-fried Coca-cola coffee cake with buttercream frosting. So what are your thoughts? Does she deserve some Deng-style loving sideways with a cast-iron skillet or no?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
smirk
(no login)

Re: Paula Deen

January 19 2012, 4:33 PM 

I went to her restaurant in Savannah. It was delicious.

After 1 plate I was all like, "Please, Ma'am, May I have some more?"

And she was all like, "Most surely, Sweetpea, it is after all a buffet"

And you all know how I roll with the buffets no matter how gross y'all think they are.

Now I have diabetes too.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

January 19 2012, 4:39 PM 

I went to the same restaurant smirk and said the same thing and also got diabetes wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

January 19 2012, 4:35 PM 

Oh FUNNY. I was just reading a knock down drag out at the other forum I frequent about this.

Personally, I think making money off selling the disease and making money selling the cure is pretty fucked up.

I will point out, however, that her son recently started a cooking show about healthy food. I haven't seen it yet, though.

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

January 19 2012, 4:40 PM 

I know, right? Why two steps when you can do it in one step by just injecting Victoza into each meal?

Sheesh, do I have to think of everything?

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

January 19 2012, 4:46 PM 

The only worthwile thing she's ever done was get hit in the face with a frozen ham, y'all.

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

January 19 2012, 4:49 PM 

She also puts on make up which is pretty worthwhile as you can see.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Anny
(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

January 19 2012, 4:50 PM 

She's so fluffy. It must be all that butter.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

January 19 2012, 4:51 PM 

There are few people that don't look better in make-up and isn't she like 100yo? More power to her.

Respond to this message   

Funk
(Login Funkenstien)
XXX

January 19 2012, 4:59 PM 

If you have to take drugs to support your extravagant lifestyle, it may be time for an intervention. She's like the Charlie Sheen of the food world.

[linked image]
Winning!

This message has been edited by Funkenstien on Jan 19, 2012 5:01 PM

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

January 19 2012, 5:02 PM 

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

January 19 2012, 5:07 PM 

HA! That's awesome, Ginny

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

January 19 2012, 5:10 PM 

Pauldeenridingonthings.com

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

January 19 2012, 5:11 PM 

Oops, that's not it. It's this

http://pauladeenridingthings.com/

Respond to this message   
Squid Boy
(no login)

January 19 2012, 8:35 PM 

My favorite has been what Anothony Bourdain's been saying about her. Things like calling her the most dangerous chef in America, and also calling out her failure to share her disease while promoting unhealthy eating.

His latest tweet is the best:

"Thinking of getting into the leg-breaking business, so I can profitably sell crutches later."

Respond to this message   
Amber
(no login)

January 19 2012, 11:35 PM 

I don't know if Anothony Bourdain is really an ass, or if he just plays one on tv. I'm hoping it's all part of his character.

Respond to this message   
Cornbread McIncest
(no login)

January 20 2012, 7:59 AM 

My favorite part? Anthony Bourdain was a HEROIN ADDICT and he's giving somebody shit for cooking with butter. Bitch, please. He cooked at Les Halles. Red meat, butter, cheese...French. And let me give you non-southerners a lesson: she isn't exclusively cooking "classic Southern cuisine." Her ingredients can be picked up at any Walmart in the country.

It's because she's Southern and therefore perceived as stupid. The Barefoot Contessa cooks with lardons and fromage, and she's cooking in the refined style of the French. Paula cooks with bacon and cheese and she's out to murder children and promote obesity. Nobody is telling you to watch her, eat anything she cooks, or buy her diabetes drug. She donated the money from that drug deal (ha) to a diabetes research organization, y'all.

I am so sick of seeing people attacked like this. I bet most people would be thrilled to have Paula as a grandma. I heard her on the Today show - I'm a cook, not your doctor. Amen, sister.

But it was kinda funny when she got hit in the face with that ham. I'm not made of wood, y'all. Still, the people that are so "outraged" by her must not have much to occupy their time.

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

January 20 2012, 8:24 AM 

I'm thinking that the best thing to do to prevent diabetes is to take down the entire Food Network for hosting pro-diabetes foods.

Respond to this message   
Cornbread McIncest
(no login)

January 20 2012, 8:53 AM 

I agree. Shut it down. We can't have people eating chocolate cupcakes with a cast member of Cars pasted on it, chicken wings, or cheese..they might get the diabeetus.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

January 20 2012, 9:01 AM 

I'm sorry, everything in moderation, I eat butter, fat and sugar myself, yadda yadda -

But when you broadcast nearly exclusively recipes you know are unhealthy, get diabeetus from having eaten it all, don't tell us for three years, then sign up for a lucrative contract promoting the anti-diabetes medicine and products of Novo Nordisk, you deserve what you get from the rest of us.

This isn't a north/south thing. I've made and eaten my share of chocolate mousse, and I cooked professionally for nearly four years, all of it rich, high end food that should only be eaten once a month by healthy people. This is NOT what Paula Deen's message was or apparently still is, despite contracting what is clearly an IF/THEN disease that will likely kill her before her time.

Respond to this message   
Cornbread McIncest
(no login)

January 20 2012, 9:26 AM 

I think that is utter bullshit. Do you even watch her show? She isn't promoting anything of the kind. She's not a mental case. Nobody advocates eating deep fried macaroni and cheese as a diet staple, including her. It's fun. It's whimsical.

And while I admit that when I first heard this story, I thought..oh, Paula. But then the more I heard, the more I thought, you know what? It's a private issue and she was under no obligation to tell anyone she has a disease. And here's the other thing. Yes, she signed a contract with a drug company. Her face is planted all over everything. So is Rachel Ray's. So is Guy Fieri's. So is Emeril's. She is donating money for diabetes research. That's a good thing. She won't change her show? That's her perogative. Nobody knows what she's doing in the privacy of her home. And it remains to be seen what she says about it on her show.

Jesus, it's amazing how people see and hear only what they want to believe. It's classist. Period.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

January 20 2012, 9:43 AM 

We'll just have to agree to disagree then Cornbread, your irrelevant and pathetic ad hominem attacks on me notwithstanding.

Respond to this message   

(Login Dr.Zhivago)
XXX

January 20 2012, 9:46 AM 

Cornbread McIncest pulls the classist card! Awesome.

Land sakes alive, the steak's alive.

Respond to this message   
Cornbread McIncest
(no login)

January 20 2012, 9:49 AM 

FWIW, it's not an attack on you in particular. Ginny mentioned above some forum where people are het up about this. Even before this, I've seen and heard awful things said about this woman. What is she, Saddam Hussein? I don't get it. Nobody's forcing anybody to make her recipes - why is she the poster child for ill health? I still contend it's because she's from the south, and therefore stupid and an easy target.

I say the woman is far from stupid. You said you worked in the restaurant industry. You know how hard it is. She made it. Good for her. Haters gonna hate, as the kids say. I can just think of many other targets more deserving.

Respond to this message   
Cornbread McIncest
(no login)

January 20 2012, 9:50 AM 

Thanks, Doctor. I was raised on cornbread and the assumption is my family tree doesn't branch, so I think I can take that liberty.

Respond to this message   
Cornbread McIncest
(no login)

January 20 2012, 9:52 AM 

And yeah, me again - I just re-read your comment, Squid. Pathetic and ad hominem attack on you? I'll respectfully retort that you seemed to have made it about you. It's not.

Respond to this message   

(Login Dr.Zhivago)
XXX

January 20 2012, 9:56 AM 

Whoa, whoa, whoa...I wasn't talking about cornbread or incest - I think we can all agree those are both pretty great. I was referencing the fact that you're Scotch-Irish.

ETA: Incorrect your/you're

This message has been edited by Dr.Zhivago on Jan 20, 2012 9:59 AM

Respond to this message   
Cornbread McIncest
(no login)

January 20 2012, 9:57 AM 

You, sir, are cool.

Just don't mistake me for a lowland Scot.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

January 20 2012, 10:05 AM 

Nice "A river runs through it" reference.

I don't know if I'm a lowland or a highland Scot, but that line and all the movies make me hope I'm a highlander...

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

January 20 2012, 12:26 PM 

LONG C&P from Christina Pirello, one of America's preeminent authorities on natural foods is the Emmy Award-winning host of the public television series, 'Christina Cooks.'

Sums it up pretty well for me. Cornbread?

An open letter to Paula Deen...

January 19th, 2012 by Christina Pirello

I was sorry, although not surprised, to hear of your diagnosis of diabetes. Having watched your cooking show for years, I guess it was just a matter of time before your style of cooking caught up with you, so to speak.

Now, in interviews, you say that you always preached all things in moderation but in all my experience of you, I have seen nothing remotely close to moderate. Instead, I saw a homespun talent delighting in wrapping macaroni and cheese in bacon before frying it. There was no mention of moderation. I watched as you constructed a sandwich of Thanksgiving leftovers that included mayonnaise, mashed potatoes, turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce and bacon. No mention of moderation there either.

Now that you have pulled back the curtain on your struggle with the disease that afflicts more than 8% of Americans (almost 26 million people) and is on the rise, did you come out on Today and say that you know that your illness is the result of deep-fried, buttery, sugar-laden foods? Nope. Did you say that you would change your lifestyle in order to better control this disease? Nope.

You announced that you will give up sweet tea, will walk regularly on your treadmill and represent a diabetes drug.

I dont care that it took you a long time to reveal your illness. It is, frankly, no ones business. It does look a bit fishy, however, that you chose to announce your struggle at the same time you announced becoming the paid spokesperson for Novo Nordisk, a leading diabetes drug.

You posted a lasagna recipe on the Novo Nordisk website called Diabetes in a New Light that included lean ground meat (oy) and 7count them 7 different cheeses (some low fat and some not) but seriously, for diabetes? Seven cheeses?

Seriously?

With all the research that tells us that Type 2 diabetes is the direct result of diet and lifestyle, did it not occur to you that a change in your own diet and lifestyle could help you with your disease?

Its time to do more than switch from fried chicken to baked. Only a dramatic shift in the way you eat will allow you to control this disease for the rest of your life. Only a dramatic shift in the food you consume will change your health in a way that makes drugs not necessary.

Now I am sure the idea of giving up meat, cheese, butter and other saturated fats makes youre a bit nervous, especially considering that your empire is built on such foods. But as a national public television chef who has spent my career helping people regain their health by changing their food, I can assure you that most of your beloved Southern recipes can be converted to delicious, satisfying, plant-based versions that will give you a newfound love of food. Plant-based eating will allow you to be creative in new ways, with new energy for all aspects of your life.

And the side effects? Unlike diabetes drugs, the side effects of plant-based eating include more energy, weight loss, a reduced risk of heart disease, cancer and stroke. You will look and feel better than you have in your life. Diabetes drugs can only promise to turn your life into a risky business, potentially damaging your liver, kidneys...even brain function.

Makes kale seem a whole lot more appealing, doesnt it?

Type 2 diabetes is the result of the foodor foodlike substances we choose to eat. ..and obesity (and a wee influence of genetics). There was a recent Gallop Poll that lauded the fact that America is less obeseYippee, right? Well, before you get out the party hats, look at the actual statistics and youll see there is a lot more work to do. The obesity rate went from 63.1% (overweight or obese) to 62.9%. and were celebrating. A .2% drop in obesity has us slap happy. I guess its better than going up .2%, butIm just sayin.

Why not use your considerable influence to help them make choices that will serve them and not rob them of health? Instead of becoming the paid spokesperson for Novo Nordisk, a drug that wont help us become healthier or get to the root cause of our ills, but just masks the real problem, why not help Americans become better educated so they can reclaim their health and break the stranglehold that pharmaceuticals have on our lives?

----

Word.

This message has been edited by SquiddyBoy on Jan 20, 2012 12:26 PM

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

January 20 2012, 12:29 PM 

I heard that she recommends deep frying kittens too...

Respond to this message   
Cornbread McIncest
(no login)

January 20 2012, 12:34 PM 

Word?

I stand by what I said. Who nominated her poster child for unhealthy eating in America? Barefoot Contessa cooks same shit, calls it French, she's a genius. Tony Bourdain is a yankee f*ckstick. Paula donated money to diabetes research. Blah blah, I'm boring myself already.

Besides - no way I'm listening to a pasty vegetarian. She clearly never watched the show, either. Paula uses the same themes all those other Food Network idiots use. Fatty crap at Christmas, salads after new years. Ugh, wasn't I just shutting up already? This is too stupid for words. Mmm...fried chicken.

Respond to this message   
Cornbread McIncest
(no login)

January 20 2012, 12:34 PM 

Smirk - exactly. Unless you're being mean to me and I'm too stupid and backward to see it, then nevermind.

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

January 20 2012, 12:38 PM 

Meet you at Bojangles, Corny.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

January 20 2012, 12:49 PM 

Life is so simple: Paula's style of cooking is the only cause of diabetes in any country, ever.

~eyeroll~

The only diabetes she caused is her own. The rest of us are on our own. If this drug works for her, and people are going to eat whatever the hell they want regardless of dr's orders, why shouldn't she tell people about it and maybe it can help someone else?

I would be pleased to personally give a million dollars to anyone that contracted diabetes exclusively from eating the recipes on Paula's cooking show. Give your head a shake, people. The problem is bigger than her show.

Unbelievable.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

January 20 2012, 12:50 PM 

I want to click "Like" on this post: January 20 2012, 9:26 AM

Respond to this message   
Cornbread McIncest
(no login)

January 20 2012, 1:23 PM 

Thanks, Arwen. I'd invite you over for cornbread anytime. I use fat free buttermilk and everything!

Don't get me wrong, I'd invite Squid, too. I'd fry up some blue gills, make some cheese grits and hushpuppies, and get a little moonshine for sippin. He might rather have my pan seared cod with lemon thyme butter, though. I'm flexible.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

January 20 2012, 1:25 PM 

Hey, thanks! happy.gif

I do love me some cornbread. Sweet tho, not savory.

Respond to this message   
Cornbread McIncest
(no login)

January 20 2012, 1:30 PM 

That's sheer heresy, but I'd make an allowance for a guest from the Great White North.

Corn cakes are pretty delicious. No syrup needed.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

January 20 2012, 1:31 PM 

Thanks happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

January 20 2012, 2:17 PM 

This is pretty much the same argument I had already seen - but it was also brought up that she's being picked on because she's a fat woman and folks were like "Look at that Man vs. Food guy! No one bats an eye!" But really, I think if he came out and said he had diabetes for the last three years and still ate milkshakes until he puked, people would be mad/grossed out/appalled.

That's nice she donated the money though. And like I said, her son does have a show out that is basically her show without the lard and over the top butter, and I'll take a look at it when I get the chance.

But at the end of the day, there's a certian amount of responsibility that comes along with holding yourself out as basically, a teacher. I don't think she's completely handled that responsibility well, IMO.

Respond to this message   
Cornbread McIncest
(no login)

January 20 2012, 2:29 PM 

How is she any more of a teacher than any other cook on food network? I think this is where I fall down with the whole thing. The weight of it all is on Paula's shoulders? I just don't buy that. I think it's the perception of her more than any reality. She cackles about putting a stick of butter in something. That's her schtick. Guy Fieri never met a slab of bacon he didn't french kiss. I'm wasting my breath, I know, but I really do feel that she is being targeted because of her cornpone act. Maybe she's reaping what she's sown, but damn. The woman isn't responsible for diabeetus. People make their own crappy decisions.

Ok, I give. I'm going to go partake of some deep fried co-cola and weep into my PBR later.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

January 20 2012, 2:20 PM 

I read nothing in that open letter, nor said anything that even remotely suggested the woman or her chosen diet is the sole culprit in diabetes.

In fact I admitted that I ate butter, sugar, fat yadda yadda. Hell, I might get diabetes some day. Others in my family have.

I get it, some of you like Paula Deen personally.

No argument I've read above sounds anything like more than what her best friend might say in a loyal attempt to cloud the fact that cooking what she cooks than signing up to be a rep for Novo Nordisk for financial gain is hypocrisy of the first order.

Your histrionic frustrated alliteration aside Cornbread, you've not made a strong argument in my book.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

January 20 2012, 2:23 PM 

The man vs. food show, in addition to Teen Moms, Jersey Shore and any of the "Housewives of..." shows make me wonder if we can save America at all.

Respond to this message   

Anny
(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

January 20 2012, 2:26 PM 

I am totally craving fried chicken right now.

Respond to this message   
Cornbread McIncest
(no login)

January 20 2012, 2:30 PM 

Thanks, Squid. That was very condescending of you.

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

January 20 2012, 2:35 PM 

You know what's condescending? When you say you're wasting your breath everytime you make an argument here. Like none of us are considering what you have to say. It's douchey. Quit it. You're making some good points.

Respond to this message   
Cornbread McIncest
(no login)

January 20 2012, 2:38 PM 

I don't think that's what condescending means. I mean it in the larger context, because I realize I am in the minority in giving Paula the benefit of the doubt.

Respond to this message   

Mevy
(Login mevin)

January 20 2012, 2:35 PM 

Paula Deen can deep fry all the butter she wants. But hawking pills instead of broccoli is simply indefensible.

But whatever, obese people just don't belong on television. They're disgusting and need to stay in the Walmart. I'm also sick of hearing anorexics bitch about skinny models.

If you've developed type II diabetes from living the Kevin Smith lifestyle, or if you're 62lbs. because you're refusing to eat, Darwin is trying to tell you something.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

January 20 2012, 2:39 PM 

Yeah, the condescension was 100% intentional. Not only is it Friday, but I find your debate style wanting.

Respond to this message   
Cornbread McIncest
(no login)

January 20 2012, 2:41 PM 

Indefensible? Is it? Ok, let's get some kittens and shut down the food network! Might as well shut down the internet, too. That f*cking Epicurious is forever showing me recipes with heavy cream. It's probably the corporate monsters out to get us, you know.

Respond to this message   
Cornbread McIncest
(no login)

January 20 2012, 2:45 PM 

You find it wanting? Why? Because I have a point?

I'm appalled that there are people sitting back saying this woman is some kind of monster for coming forward with diabetes "only after" she got a deal with a drug company. Ever stop to think she might think, in her hick way, she might be helping somebody? Oh right, she endorses Smithfield so she's responsible for pigs being treated inhumanely in slaughterhouses that have been operating for 100 years. That logic is what escapes me.

Respond to this message   

(Login mevin)

I said the PILL hawking was indefensible, shitferbrains. Simma dawn nah and have a corndog.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

I don't get why people are mad that she is doing these commercials.

Too many people eat too much crap. The pills are a medical necessity. No one is mad at Wilfred Brimley for doing similar commercials. She doesn't force anyone to eat anything. She is a teacher but she is teaching people how to cook her style of cooking. She is not a dietician. She is a specialized chef. If you don't want to eat her style of food, then change the channel. There is a whole network devoted to all sorts of different styles of cooking. People have free will and remote controls.

Respond to this message   
Cornbread McIncest
(no login)

January 20 2012, 2:48 PM 

You come out with that line of pure crap you're spewing and I'm shit for brains? Yeah. Ok.

Simma down? Heeee.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

January 20 2012, 2:48 PM 

What's wanting is that I say she's a hypocrite, and then you say I called her a monster. I did no such thing.

Your mind is like a chess board, there are only black and white spaces.

Wanting.

Respond to this message   
Cornbread McIncest
(no login)

January 20 2012, 2:51 PM 

Again: not about YOU. You are very good and cherry picking, you know.

And talk to your friend Mevy about black and white. That was just sad.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

January 20 2012, 3:12 PM 

Hrmm.. If I'd say then you call "us" monsters could I have avoided that particular inadditive nonsense?

It's not about me, it's about how binary your synaptic processing is.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

January 20 2012, 2:53 PM 

I usually do not understand the use of the word hypocrite on this bored.

I'm not trying to start (continue?) an argument but:

Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that one does not actually have.[1] Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.[1]

She is a spokesman for diabetes medication.
He style of cooking can cause diabetes, if consumed in excess.
She is hypocritical because
(a)...she said it doesn't?
(b)...she has diabetes herself?
(c)...all of the above
(d)...none of the above

Help me out happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Cornbread McIncest
(no login)

January 20 2012, 2:57 PM 

I think they are saying that she is selling a lifestyle of carefree eating, "hiding" the fact she has diabetes, and then hawking a drug to control the condition instead of nailing herself to a cross and swearing to eat nothing but broccoli for the rest of her life. Instead, she's going to continue her evil show and fall asleep each night cackling on a giant pile of ill gotten gains.

Respond to this message   

(Login mevin)

January 20 2012, 2:56 PM 

Arwen, How do you make the statement that people are eating crap, therefor the the medication is necessary? Think about that for a second. Take the crap away, and the pills disappear as well.

Type II diabetes is brought on mostly by lifestyle. And it can usually be treated by simple changes in diet and exercise. Treating this as a medical condition is another in a long line of things that are making Americans look stupid. And it's also one of the many reasons the over-all price in healthcare is going up every year.

Deen is just encouraging people to make the choice of idiots.

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

January 20 2012, 2:57 PM 

Popcorn, extra butter.

Respond to this message   
Anny
(no login)

January 20 2012, 3:02 PM 

mmmmmmm... now you're talkin'

Respond to this message   
Cornbread McIncest
(no login)

January 20 2012, 2:59 PM 

Oh god. This is where I check out.

Have a nice weekend, y'all. I'lI be deep frying my gooey butter cake, since Paula is my best friend and controls all my thoughts and deeds! ....bbbbbuuuuttterrrr

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

January 20 2012, 3:04 PM 

That's what's frustrating to me. We had a discussion here about fast food and how it was ok in moderation and how you can't legislate what people eat, it't about personal choice. Now, you are putting all this responsibility on one woman. It makes no sense.

She is not the only source of crap. People are acting as tho, if they shut down her show, everything would be fine. It wouldn't. They are acting like, if she wasn't selling diabetes medication, people wouldn't buy it. If she didn't have a show, no one would need to take it.

There are bigger problems out there than Paula Dean's show. I am pretty sure the percentage of people that have diabetes because of her is so small as to be unmeasurable in the context of everything else that is a cause.

It's easy to point to her and yell "Burn her!" but I think anyone who does that is missing the bigger picture. Shut down her show. What will the overall effect be on the rates of obesity in the country? People are wasting their energy on her.

Respond to this message   

Anny
(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

January 20 2012, 3:07 PM 

I was just picturing Paula Deen actually being burned and imagined she would golden up nicely.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

January 20 2012, 3:12 PM 

I see her so sugary as to burst into flames like a roasted marshmallow happy.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login pearlgurl)
AAA

January 20 2012, 3:19 PM 

What bothers me isn't her touting recipes for pecan pie with a bacon crust or whatever, it is her reply on the Today Show when asked what causes Type II diabeetus: "Age, heredity and lifestyle". It's exactly the kind of disingenuous response that you would expect from a corporate shill representing a drug company. While not completely inaccurate, it puts too much emphasis on the factors that are out of your control. If you are led to believe that age and heredity are important factors then you're more likely to accept that you need medication to treat it. You would rather inject yourself with something that puts you at risk for liver damage than give up your pimento cheese-filled doughnuts? Fine. Own it.

Respond to this message   

Mevy
(Login mevin)

January 20 2012, 3:20 PM 

I think it's OK to levy criticism against a person who's sending a bad message, without blaming them for an entire epidemic. No one is suggesting Deen is the cause, or even that her followers make up a large percentage of people with type II diabetes. Just that selling fatty foods AND the treatment for diabetes is incompatible.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

January 20 2012, 3:31 PM 

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

January 20 2012, 3:35 PM 

Oops

That was supposed to say "Thanks for clarifying in a nice way, Mev" and "That's where we differ PG. I wouldn't be asking her what the she thought the cause of diabetes was. I would be asking my dr. I would just expect her to bake her pies and read her diabetes medication script phonetically. It's like expecting an actor to have a well thought out political opinion and then raking him over the coals when he doesn't."

Respond to this message   

(no login)

January 20 2012, 3:36 PM 

even if the actor was a paid spokesperson for a candidate?

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

January 20 2012, 3:44 PM 

LOL!

Especially! wink.gif

I get what you're all saying but the medication is being sold regardless of who the spokesperson is and she actually has diabetes and can probably tell people it actually works for her.

I guess I am saying I would actually prefer her to be doing the commercial than some paid actor who has never had any health problems...not that she wouldn't lie for money and endorse something that she may not have even tried...and not that there are already a lot of commercials with fake drs telling me the side effects of some drug I don't even know the purpose of...

Ugh.

The news people were stupid to ask her what causes diabetes in the first place. Like they were stupid to ask Sarah Palin what magazines she reads. We all know she doesn't read wink.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

January 20 2012, 3:45 PM 

Bye Cornbread! Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out!

And Arwen - let me just repeat Mevin's correct assertion that no one anywhere in this thread is blaming this one woman for this disease.

She is receiving financial gain for the sale of pills made necessary in part by the core product her media empire promotes.

You don't need to post the definition of hypocrisy for me, either. You could substitute the above for what you blocked and copied above.

Let's pretend she had been diagnosed with emphysema three years ago, and she'd had a show about the joys of smoking for the past five years. NOW she's got a deal with GlaxoSmithCline to promote the use of Advair inhalers to alleviate the symptoms of emphysema, WHILE SHE CONTINUES TO SMOKE, and also makes sure to remind us that emphysema can be caused by the smog in our cities and that a weakness for it can be inherited.

Tell me how substituting diabetes for emphysema is different, cause I can't see it at all.

Respond to this message   
Aurora
(no login)

January 20 2012, 3:49 PM 

Or we can just stop caring what celebrities have to say?

Instead of threads about paula, wouldn't our time be better spent discussing how to get kids to not listen to celebrities, and to think for themselves?

Of course that's not as much fun

Respond to this message   

(no login)

January 20 2012, 3:52 PM 

are you suggesting that we not discuss Daily Facts That We Learned While Watching TV?

Respond to this message   
Aurora
(no login)

January 20 2012, 3:58 PM 

I am!

I'm trying to throw the board into a state of anarchy!

Respond to this message   

(Login mevin)

January 20 2012, 4:07 PM 

Totally legit, Aurora. I've long said that about the whole pro sports/steroids problem. That if kids are THAT influenced by moronic sports stars, they've got bigger problems.

But the problem with Deen's thing (at least for me) is that the cost of dealing with diabetes is way disproportional to the reality of the disease. It really bothers me that healthcare in the U.S. is so expensive, for all the wrong reasons. Everyone wants to blame the insurance industry, but part of the problem is us, with our horrible lifestyle choices.

So yeah, we should ignore Deen and the junk food industry, and eat more salad and go outside to play. But we're not. Instead we're taking pills. And that's why Deen makes me mental!

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

January 20 2012, 4:12 PM 

That makes it even more clear, Mevy.

And thanks Squid.

You are both setting me straight so nicely happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

January 20 2012, 4:01 PM 

I wasn't posting the definition of hypocracy for you, Squid. It really was for me.

I admit that often I am multi-tasking when reading threads and when something like this comes up, I have a genuine interest in what is being said and want to participate. I do my best not to be argumentative but, instead, I post questions to better clarify things in my head. I hope it comes off that way. I can be too black and white sometimes but I really love to hear opinions that contradict mine.

I got in shit for appearing to "disagree" with the seriousness of things in some of Z's crazy threads but it was not my intention to disagree. I really just wanted to better understand people's points of view. That's the same thing I am doing here.

I am sure there are some IMs and emails going back and forth saying "Is Arwen dense or something?" but I'm not afraid to ask stupid questions here happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

January 20 2012, 4:02 PM 

Oh and your emphysema example made things a bit more clear for me. Thanks happy.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

January 20 2012, 4:10 PM 

I am not mad at you Arwen. I'm being passionate, but I love you.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

January 20 2012, 4:13 PM 

Squeee happy.gif

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

January 21 2012, 8:04 AM 

Squid is the center of the universe. How disappointing.

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

January 21 2012, 10:05 AM 

You see only what you want to see

Respond to this message   

jiggy
(Login opdm)
AAA

January 21 2012, 9:58 PM 

According to an msnbc article, genetics is the MAIN reason people get Type II diabetes.

"Three factors push a person toward diabetes, said Dr. Robin Goland, an endocrinologist and co-director of the Naomi Berrie Diabetes Center at New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center.

The most important factor is genetics whether youve inherited a susceptibility to the condition.
Now Im not recommending this, but if you dont have those genes working against you, you could gain weight and not exercise and your blood sugar would stay normal, Goland said.

Here's the article:

http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/16/10170320-did-paula-deens-diet-cause-her-diabetes

I'm in the Cornbread and Arwen camp on this one.(even though I totally disagree that people are being harsh concerning her because she's southern)

So it would seem that first and foremost, Paula had a genetic predisposition to getting typeII diabetes, unlike the open letter to paula written by another cook who claims it's just a teeny bit about genetics. (When did they find the time to become a doctor as well as a chef?)
And, yes, if she hadn't gotten fat, she may not have the disease.
Being fat isn't healthy. We all know this.

Should only skinny people be allowed to push drugs for diabetes? Only people who don't actually have the disease? Or should the drugs be outlawed altogether because they treat a preventable disease brought on by lifestyle choices?

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

January 22 2012, 9:12 AM 

Too late. We've already lopped off Deen's head. Better luck next time with your last minute facts.

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

January 22 2012, 9:22 AM 

We did retain her various Macaroni and Cheese recipes but only for historical purposes for future generations to understand the severity of her crimes.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

January 22 2012, 11:47 AM 

LOL @ smirk and "the Cornbread and Arwen camp"

Hi jiggy. Miss you happy.gif

Respond to this message   

jiggy
(Login opdm)
AAA

January 22 2012, 1:17 PM 

Hi!

Speaking of diabetes, check out this cake I'm making for lunch at work this friday:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/chocolate-stout-cake-recipe

Over 800 calories per serving! Paula would be proud.

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

January 22 2012, 1:20 PM 

Arwen's posts give me diabettus.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

January 22 2012, 1:48 PM 

Oh Caps, I missed you too

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

January 22 2012, 1:21 PM 

Only 4 sticks of butter? Paula and I mock your attempts....

Respond to this message   

jiggy
(Login opdm)
AAA

January 22 2012, 2:06 PM 

I'm going to cover it with bacon, batter and deep fry it too.

Respond to this message   

(Login mevin)

January 22 2012, 3:03 PM 

According to Web MD, obesity and lack of exercise are the main contributing factors to type II diabetes. Genetics is a factor, but if you lead a healthy lifestyle, it usually isn't much of a problem.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/guide/diabetes-causes

And that supports what I've seen in the people I've personally know, who have, or had the disease. My overweight father had it and didn't take care of himself. If he didn't take insulin, and blood thinners for his cholesterol problems, he never would have lived into his 70's. But his last year of life, he had to have his lower left leg amputated and he completely lost the use of his kidneys. Not fun.

On the flip side, I have a friend about my age, who was diagnosed with type II couple of years ago. He switched from a diet of mostly meat and potatoes, to one of mostly fruits and veggies. He lost 30 lbs, takes zero insulin and is healthier than ever.

So again, Deen can either sell butter, or sell health, but not both. What she's doing now just makes her a shill for big pharma.

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

January 22 2012, 3:20 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login mevin)

January 22 2012, 3:53 PM 

Sure. But who you gonna trust more for medical advice, them, or Deen?

I'll take Deen for showing me how to stuff a Turkey, but WebMD for a quick reference about acid reflux.

But since the NYT also referenced the Mayo Clinic as a better resource for unbiased medical information, they (the Mayo Clinic) also said that weight and inactivity were the top two determining factors for developing type II diabetes.

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

January 23 2012, 9:55 AM 

I'll take Deen. She's really good with the comfort food after the diagnosis.

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

January 23 2012, 10:08 AM 

Who said she's giving medical advice? Douche.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

January 23 2012, 10:13 AM 

My family has a genetic predillection for addiction.

I wasn't careful with smokes, and I smoked for a total (often interrupted) of 20 years. It undoubtedly shortened my life.

I have been careful with booze. Others in my family less so, and that ain't been pretty.

I'm not a doctor, but if you've got a genetic predisposition toward something, but do everything right, you're doing all you can. If you say fuck it, and snort bacon fat anyway, you're weak.

I was weak to smoke as long as I did. If I start again, I'll be collossally weak and the first to admit it.

I'm sorry - again, tell me how overeating bad food when you know it it's EXTRA LIKELY to maybe kill you is different from smoking?

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

January 23 2012, 10:17 AM 

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

January 23 2012, 10:25 AM 

I wish Todd would have warned me what a timesuck this damn internet thing was. Why, I could get fired if I'm caught spending tons of time here while on the job.

I feel tricked, I tell you, TRICKED! And Todd and Google are responsible. And that fucking pron too.

The real hypocrisy is all the "laid off" stuff that he started this thing on.

This message has been edited by Smirkdirk on Jan 23, 2012 10:26 AM

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

January 23 2012, 10:40 AM 

I would like to make out with Smirk. That is all.

Wait, that's not all. Equating smoking with eating fatty foods is like comparing apples and exceptionally bad taste (TM DJ).

Respond to this message   

Dr. Zhivago
(Login Dr.Zhivago)
XXX

January 23 2012, 10:45 AM 

I never understood the 'comparing apples to oranges' line. Why can't you compare two different fruits? One has a peel you can eat, the other doesn't, one is red, the other is orange, etc.

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

January 23 2012, 10:51 AM 

I only make out with people who warn me about the dangers of herpes beforehand.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

January 23 2012, 11:39 AM 

So anon, is that your answer in lieu of an actual point or argument?

Are you cornbread? Didn't you flounce?

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

January 23 2012, 11:42 AM 

Oh, I'll tell you about herpes. I'll tell you about herpes real good..

Respond to this message   

Bider
(Login BiderSpite)
XXX

January 23 2012, 11:47 AM 

Dr. Zh it's not that you can't compare apples and oranges, it's LIKE comparing apples and oranges. Even though they are both fruit, they are still very different.

Respond to this message   
Cornbread McIncest
(no login)

January 23 2012, 11:57 AM 

Since when is leaving for the weekend flouncing? I save my outrage and indignation for the work week.

Squid, I like you. Why do you hate me so? I get a litte wound up sometimes, I admit.

Oh, and I'll be sure to let you know when I'm talking to you, even though I'm Hep's troll and kinda feel like I'm cheating on him by arguing with you, you minx.

BTW, I'm eating fried chicken right now. Well, just finished. It was a little dry. I bet Paula wouldn't have made me suffer this way.

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

January 23 2012, 12:02 PM 

Do you have a particular herp ointment you'd like to recommend me too, Anon, you herpecrite?

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

January 23 2012, 12:11 PM 

Doc Zh, you crack me up. I was just about to do what Bider did but then I got what you meant. Of course you can compare apples and oranges - you can compare anything. And it is easier to compare things (if by comparing you are listing the differences) when they are very different. You really look at the world in a different way. I like!

For dinner Saturday night, I made chicken wellington. Sauteed chicken breast in seasonings; spread on top a mixture of cream cheese and dijon mustard; top with a sauteed mixture of mushrooms, onions, and garlic; and finally wrap in puff pastry and bake. I made a mushroom sauce to drizzle over. HOLY SMOKES PEOPLE! Delicious!

Respond to this message   

(Login rainyz)
XXX

January 23 2012, 4:16 PM 

Rainy has type 1 diabetes. Today she went to the doctor and the doctor said she has excellent blood sugar levels. Like a "normal" person who has no diabetes! Does that not rock or what?!!!

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

January 23 2012, 4:18 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login rainyz)
XXX

January 23 2012, 4:29 PM 

I was wrong. I don't know why I said I was type 2. I am the better diabetic. Weird! Sorry. Sometimes I get screwed up.

I'm gonna go fry myself some candy bars. I've had them in the freezer all night! Wahooooo!

This message has been edited by rainyz on Jan 23, 2012 4:31 PM

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

January 23 2012, 4:38 PM 

No big deal, I was just curious since I had thought you said type 2.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Paula Deen
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!