<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!  

Paula Deen

January 19 2012 at 4:28 PM

PearlGurl  (Login pearlgurl)
Angels

So in foodie news, Paula Deen was diagnosed three years ago with Type II Diabetes. She continued to star on a cooking show that promotes "classic Southern cuisine", such as deep-fried dressing and Krispy-Kreme bread pudding. Now she's signed on as a spokesperson for Novo Nordisk promoting diabetes medicine as the solution and says she doesn't plan on making any changes to her cooking show. It is common knowledge that obesity and diet are the main causes of what used to be called adult-onset diabetes, but is now showing up in children. Generally, I don't care what celebrities do unless it involves torturing dogs, sexually exploiting children or something equally reprehensible. Still, Paula bugs me because the last thing that people in the United States needs to hear is that they can take medication instead of taking direct responsibility for their health and giving up the butter-coated deep-fried Coca-cola coffee cake with buttercream frosting. So what are your thoughts? Does she deserve some Deng-style loving sideways with a cast-iron skillet or no?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
smirk
(no login)

Re: Paula Deen

January 19 2012, 4:33 PM 

I went to her restaurant in Savannah. It was delicious.

After 1 plate I was all like, "Please, Ma'am, May I have some more?"

And she was all like, "Most surely, Sweetpea, it is after all a buffet"

And you all know how I roll with the buffets no matter how gross y'all think they are.

Now I have diabetes too.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

January 19 2012, 4:39 PM 

I went to the same restaurant smirk and said the same thing and also got diabetes wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

January 19 2012, 4:35 PM 

Oh FUNNY. I was just reading a knock down drag out at the other forum I frequent about this.

Personally, I think making money off selling the disease and making money selling the cure is pretty fucked up.

I will point out, however, that her son recently started a cooking show about healthy food. I haven't seen it yet, though.

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

January 19 2012, 4:40 PM 

I know, right? Why two steps when you can do it in one step by just injecting Victoza into each meal?

Sheesh, do I have to think of everything?

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

January 19 2012, 4:46 PM 

The only worthwile thing she's ever done was get hit in the face with a frozen ham, y'all.

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

January 19 2012, 4:49 PM 

She also puts on make up which is pretty worthwhile as you can see.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Anny
(Login AnnyBoo)
Angels

January 19 2012, 4:50 PM 

She's so fluffy. It must be all that butter.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

January 19 2012, 4:51 PM 

There are few people that don't look better in make-up and isn't she like 100yo? More power to her.

Respond to this message   

Funk
(Login Funkenstien)
Devils

January 19 2012, 4:59 PM 

If you have to take drugs to support your extravagant lifestyle, it may be time for an intervention. She's like the Charlie Sheen of the food world.

[linked image]
Winning!

This message has been edited by Funkenstien on Jan 19, 2012 5:01 PM

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

January 19 2012, 5:02 PM 

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

January 19 2012, 5:07 PM 

HA! That's awesome, Ginny

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

January 19 2012, 5:10 PM 

Pauldeenridingonthings.com

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

January 19 2012, 5:11 PM 

Oops, that's not it. It's this

http://pauladeenridingthings.com/

Respond to this message   
Squid Boy
(no login)

January 19 2012, 8:35 PM 

My favorite has been what Anothony Bourdain's been saying about her. Things like calling her the most dangerous chef in America, and also calling out her failure to share her disease while promoting unhealthy eating.

His latest tweet is the best:

"Thinking of getting into the leg-breaking business, so I can profitably sell crutches later."

Respond to this message   
Amber
(no login)

January 19 2012, 11:35 PM 

I don't know if Anothony Bourdain is really an ass, or if he just plays one on tv. I'm hoping it's all part of his character.

Respond to this message   
Cornbread McIncest
(no login)

January 20 2012, 7:59 AM 

My favorite part? Anthony Bourdain was a HEROIN ADDICT and he's giving somebody shit for cooking with butter. Bitch, please. He cooked at Les Halles. Red meat, butter, cheese...French. And let me give you non-southerners a lesson: she isn't exclusively cooking "classic Southern cuisine." Her ingredients can be picked up at any Walmart in the country.

It's because she's Southern and therefore perceived as stupid. The Barefoot Contessa cooks with lardons and fromage, and she's cooking in the refined style of the French. Paula cooks with bacon and cheese and she's out to murder children and promote obesity. Nobody is telling you to watch her, eat anything she cooks, or buy her diabetes drug. She donated the money from that drug deal (ha) to a diabetes research organization, y'all.

I am so sick of seeing people attacked like this. I bet most people would be thrilled to have Paula as a grandma. I heard her on the Today show - I'm a cook, not your doctor. Amen, sister.

But it was kinda funny when she got hit in the face with that ham. I'm not made of wood, y'all. Still, the people that are so "outraged" by her must not have much to occupy their time.

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

January 20 2012, 8:24 AM 

I'm thinking that the best thing to do to prevent diabetes is to take down the entire Food Network for hosting pro-diabetes foods.

Respond to this message   
Cornbread McIncest
(no login)

January 20 2012, 8:53 AM 

I agree. Shut it down. We can't have people eating chocolate cupcakes with a cast member of Cars pasted on it, chicken wings, or cheese..they might get the diabeetus.

Respond to this message   

AnonoBoom
(Login SquiddyBoy)
Devils

January 20 2012, 9:01 AM 

I'm sorry, everything in moderation, I eat butter, fat and sugar myself, yadda yadda -

But when you broadcast nearly exclusively recipes you know are unhealthy, get diabeetus from having eaten it all, don't tell us for three years, then sign up for a lucrative contract promoting the anti-diabetes medicine and products of Novo Nordisk, you deserve what you get from the rest of us.

This isn't a north/south thing. I've made and eaten my share of chocolate mousse, and I cooked professionally for nearly four years, all of it rich, high end food that should only be eaten once a month by healthy people. This is NOT what Paula Deen's message was or apparently still is, despite contracting what is clearly an IF/THEN disease that will likely kill her before her time.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!