<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!  

TV Watching Habits?

January 22 2012 at 12:51 PM
smirk  (no login)

It occurred to me, lots of tv and movie watchers here. Do you tend to watch stuff by yourself or with other people, your spouse, children, friends?

The reason I ask is that pretty much our entire household is solo watchers. My son is into his Anime', my daughter likes her MTVish shit, my wife gets addicted to entire seasons of stuff ranging from Tudors to Say Yes to the Dress - and I just don't have time or inclination to devote myself to hours and hours.

I prefer really whatever stuff. Old crappy 80's movies, The Love Boat. Lots of stuff that I don't feel an obligation to finish becuase I'm either falling asleep or I leave in the middle of it to do something else. But, watching shit alone is so boring. I like to talk through it, make fun of it, use it as background... As a result, I actually don't watch much of anything these days.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Dr. Zhivago
(Login Dr.Zhivago)
EEE

Re: TV Watching Habits?

January 22 2012, 12:59 PM 

My roommate Robert and I watch Jeopardy most nights (when I don't have class). Other than that, I usually watch stuff alone. Daily Show, Colbert, Nova, Archer, The League, Parks & Rec, Boardwalk, Thrones...

Land sakes alive, the steak's alive.

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

January 22 2012, 1:02 PM 

I actually had the local cable/internet company call me and force me to jack up my bill and bandwidth limits because often the entire family will be streaming Netflix and Hulu to 3 separate devices simultaneously.

It was only $10 a month more, and I don't really feel bad about it because in the last couple years I've cut the actual cable completely out of the bill saving me a minimum of $30 a month, which supposedly the cable company's true bread and butter.

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

January 22 2012, 1:00 PM 

I'll watch sporting events by myself, but I prefer to watch with the GF or friends or both. I don't watch any TV shows by myself really. If I'm alone and there's no sports worth watching, I'll usually play a video game. Or actually do something around the house and listen to sports talk radio.

With the GF home we watch Jeopardy religiously. And some shows like Walking Dead and Bored to death.(morbid)

We dropped HBO from DirectTV and added hulu plus to the PS3 the other night. Hulu plus is pretty awesome. We'll have to pay per view Bored to death next season I guess. Or sign up for HBO for like a month like we did this year.

The GF does have shows that she watches that I don't. Like Grimm. But she watches them on my poker night. So it works out.

We only have the one TV. Which I guess is like 2 tv's too little compared to most people.

Respond to this message   
Kathleen
(no login)

January 22 2012, 1:04 PM 

What a timely question! Dan has been in California since Wednesday visiting his parents and sister, yet my TV watching habits haven't changed one bit! happy.gif

My favorite time to watch TV is starting between nine and ten after everyone else has gone to bed. I sit in the same spot on the sofa with a blanket over my legs, my Kindle nearby, and my phone at the ready to text friends who are watching similar stuff or make a Words With Friends move. I stick with movies I've already seen in case I fall asleep or find something better, almost anything on the Investigation Discovery network (think Dateline, 48 Hours Mystery), or a reality show. I watch House Hunters (NOT International), RHofBH, Mob Wives, Intervention, Jesery Shore, and Grey's Anatomy. That's it.

This is not to say we never watch TV together. Dan and I will watch a movie together or House Hunters. The five of us will watch Man vs Food or DVDs of the Brady Bunch. We're almost done Season Two. My kids LOVE these!

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

January 22 2012, 1:09 PM 

The GF watches ID like a crackhead smokes crack. I can't take it. I need a shower after about a half hour of that crap.

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

January 22 2012, 1:14 PM 

I'll admit 48 Hours Mysteries and Dateline murder shit tends to hold my attention when its on.

Often on weekend mornings I'll be browsing the web on the tablet while Mrs. is watching some crap. This morning and yesterday morning it was "My Fair Wedding." Saw two episodes. I actually think the host guy is kinda cool.

Also, I don't know if its been discussed here yet, but my daughter turned my wife on to an MTV show called Hard Times of RJ Berger which has tons of episodes on Netflix. Its really witty, and really funny. Reminds me of Freaks and Geeks a little. Some of you might wanna check it out.

Which is kinda funny, because now the whole family will watch the same show, but we'll watch it separately.

Respond to this message   

jiggy
(Login opdm)
AAA

January 22 2012, 2:02 PM 

I always watch TV alone because the last time I watched it with someone else, they forced me to watch The Biggest Loser.

Also because I live alone, but mostly because of Arwen.

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

January 22 2012, 2:22 PM 

Besides football, which he watches and I avoid, we never watch tv alone. We only have one tv (hooked up). And unless we want to watch something specific it's never on...like for background noise, that makes me crazy. I hate when youre a guest in someone's home and the tv is just blaring, no one watching it.

Respond to this message   

maestra
(Login Maestra)
AAA

January 23 2012, 12:45 AM 

We only have one tv hooked up. At our old place, we had a tv in each of our bedrooms and the one in the livingroom. The giant pretty much monopolized the one in the livingroom watching judge judy, the effing kardashians (i don't know if I spelled that right, and for the first time in my life, I couldn't care less), intervention, hoarders, and jersey shore. The portuguee and I would frequently watch movies (documentaries, mostly) in his room sometimes, but for the most part, with the exception of it's always sunny, the league, and sox-yankee games, we watched tv on our own.

Now that we have the one tv, we pretty much watch tv together all the time. He usually picks the shows because, left to my own devices, I would watch reruns of friends indefinitely while playing around with my phone. his taste is crazy random, as is mine, so we watch a huge variety of shows. We watch a LOT of netflix and we both hate HATE reality shows. if one of us is watching something that doesn't interest the other, the bored one ends up amusing his/her self with a laptop or phone.

We do pretty well with one tv. It's rare that we have a problem. He left me alone when american horror story was on, and I surrender the livingroom when football and hockey are on. When we first moved in, I fully intended to hook up my tv, but I just haven't needed it and I finally threw it out (it was 14 years old and kind of brokenish and taking up way too much room).

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
EEE

January 23 2012, 9:52 AM 

The kids get one, maybe two shows every other day. It's usually "Little Bear" at this point.

The Mermaid maybe watches something we've DVR'd (notice I didn't say 'taped'- though I almost did...) during the day at naptime if she can while she snoozes a bit.

She and I watch TV for about 1.5 to two hours often after the kids go to bed. On good nights we make Jeopardy and then watch either a movie or if it's a night with a bearable show, we'll watch that. Usually it's catching up on our DVR list that we couldn't watch real time. We usually make it downstairs with sleeping children above in time for final Jeopardy, then decide what to do from there.

Tonight it's the friggin' bachelor baby. Don't even try to call us while that's on.

Respond to this message   

ED
(Login englishdude)

January 23 2012, 9:56 AM 

I put it on when things are too quiet or when I'm too pooped to do anything else. I should only put it on when I actively want to watch something, but I'm just not that disciplined or saintly.

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

January 23 2012, 12:32 PM 

We watch separately and together. 3 TVs in the house and two in the man cave.

I also like all the crime/murder shows and Intervention, My Fair Wedding, House Hunters (prefer International), Say Yes to the Dress (gawd I love party dresses!), Jersey Shore, Kardashians - but I don't record (see Squid? "Record" is easier) and don't really know when they are on. I just catch them as I happen to. He is into Ice Road Truckers, Pawn Star, Storage Wars, etc.

Together we watch football, Teen Mom 2, The Bachelor, Survivor (when it is on), and Modern Family ritually. If we happen to catch it, we will watch The League, The Office, maybe Community or Parks and Rec.

I will record Through the Wormhole and he records a lot of stock market and business report shows - we do not watch these together.

He has really bad taste while mine is exceedingly excellent.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
EEE

January 23 2012, 12:36 PM 

Can you believe the mortician showed up last week?

Sorry, she's not hot enough for that role. I could pick a 100 former 'ette's that could have made that a tough choice, but not giving her a rose was easy, and the whole thing seemed pretty staged and forced, ABC...

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

January 23 2012, 12:40 PM 

I have been DYING to discuss the show with you, Squid. Are you going to watch tonight or record and watch later?

Yeah. WTH was she thinking? Whatever chickie.

SO-BOO and I do an instant impression pick for the winner right after everyone has gotten out of the limo and had the meet up with the bachelor (or bachelorette as the season may be). I picked Kasie B out of the gate.

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

January 23 2012, 12:41 PM 

We watch together when Guitar Boy is over on the weekend.

I left the room to go to the bathroom the other day and heard him explaining all the plot holes in the movie I was watching to the cats.

I have a small flatscreen in the bedroom but it only gets cable. If I'm watching something he really hates he'll usually go play guitar instead. If he's watching something I hate (looking at you, spongebob) I'll go do the dishes or find something else to do. Normally we like the same stuff though, and we have our own tv's most of the week.

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

January 23 2012, 2:18 PM 

For the Teen Mom fans:

[linked image]

You know that little girl has been arrested a few times herself? Stay classy, teen mom.

Respond to this message   

(Login DJ.)
AAA

January 23 2012, 2:28 PM 

We have 3 TV's in the house, including a small flat screen in the kitchen, because I watch an obscene amount of television. OBSCENE. whitey watches less tham me but he's playing his interactive nerd tribe computer game 92 hours a day although he'll glance up now-and-then to take a gander at what I'm watching.

We sit down and watch certain things together as a given like Survivor and Dexter and movies but most everything else I'm on the bed and he's at the computer. We never watch anything in the living room because our couch sucks.

Respond to this message   

Funk
(Login Funkenstien)
EEE

January 23 2012, 2:34 PM 

There are generally other things higher on my preferred list than TV watching, so no solo viewing. I generally reserve 2 to 3 hours on Friday and Saturday evenings, and an hour other nights, which I use to watch shows with the family.

Respond to this message   

(Login TrulyScrumptious)
EEE

January 23 2012, 2:37 PM 

We watch seperately. Scottie has a 72 inch TV in our bedroom. He hides up there and watches Food Network, Discovery and Travel Channel. I watch down with the kids for a half hour until Iggy goes to bed at 8. Usually it's Avatar: The Last Airbender but lately it's been Adventure Time, which is freaky and funny. When I get the TV back, I usually watch any movie that's on, Teen Mom 2, American Horror Story, Glee, Big Bang Theory.

Teen Mom 2 is such a trainwreck. My 12 year old is watching it, which is good and bad. I hope she's taking away how stupid these boys and girls are.

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

January 23 2012, 2:52 PM 

72in? In the bedroom? Good lord. Have you been on Cribs?

We watch together in my house, except on Sunday during football and baseball season, as I am bored to tears by both. Sometimes I read, or we turn on some music while the games are on.

Respond to this message   

(Login TrulyScrumptious)
EEE

January 23 2012, 3:08 PM 

I know, it's ridonkulous. My neighbors two houses away can tell what Scottie is watching.

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

January 23 2012, 3:11 PM 

Why is the 72 inch tv in your bedroom? No family room or basement man cave?

I hate a tv in the bedroom.

Respond to this message   

(Login TrulyScrumptious)
EEE

January 23 2012, 3:32 PM 

There is a TV in every room except the kitchen and the kids rooms. It's crazy, I know.

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

January 23 2012, 3:37 PM 

Well at least you know it's crazy. You must really enjoy tv.

Glad to hear no tv in the kids room. Several years ago a father told me that his 10 year old son was falling asleep in class because his 4 year old roommate/brother's favorite cartoon came on at 11 pm. And he was just shaking his head, like whacha gonna do?

Respond to this message   

(Login TrulyScrumptious)
EEE

January 23 2012, 3:41 PM 

I used to really enjoy TV. Now it's more like background noise. I am way too absorbed in my Kindle to commit to paying attention to anything except the few shows I follow. Same with the kids. They are usually playing with Legos or cars (Iggy) or on their ITouch (Erin).

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

January 23 2012, 3:38 PM 

Dear Appalled,

Did you ever consider no one really cares about what you "hate"?

Sincerely,
I just don't give a hoot

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

January 23 2012, 3:45 PM 

I never have,....but please feel free to skip my posts anon!

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

January 23 2012, 4:00 PM 

Dear Appalled,

Being the well bred proper stick in the mud that you aspire to be. Please edit your posts to not include the unbelievable amount of things you do not care for (hate)!

Sincerely,
IJDGAH

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
EEE

January 23 2012, 4:14 PM 

Dear Appalled,

I love you just the way you are. Don't change a thing, sister.

I also HATE a tv in the bedroom. If I'm in there I'm hoping to do other things, and I think it's pretty well established that it's counter to good sleeping habits to have a TV in your bedroom. Sleep is something I deeply treasure after nearly five years of baby incubating and raising.

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

January 23 2012, 4:16 PM 

Eh. I like to set the sleep timer and watch/listen to adult swim as I'm falling asleep when I'm alone.

But if the Appy gestapo came and told me I wouldn't have one, I wouldn't care that much.

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

January 23 2012, 4:25 PM 

We won't share a room with that Tv in there, gin-knee.

Hoot Anon, have you ever considered that no one cares what you do or not give hoots about?

Squid, you like me just as I am!!

We had very limited tv growing up, and I didn't even have a tv for most of my 20s....therefore anytime I encounter a turned on tv I risk being sucked into it for hours and hours. I have to guard myself carefully or I'll waste a day/evening/all night whatever!

Respond to this message   

(Login Dr.Zhivago)
EEE

January 23 2012, 4:26 PM 

I love having a TV in the bedroom. My bed is more comfortable than the couch. I never watch it very late - usually switch to NPR around 9pm and let that go all night long.

Land sakes alive, the steak's alive.

Respond to this message   

(Login DJ.)
AAA

January 23 2012, 4:29 PM 

I love having a TV in the bedroom. My dream is to have one as big as the whole wall, TV's in the bathrooms and eventually one installed on the inside of my eyelids. I love TV.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
EEE

January 23 2012, 4:54 PM 

I love TV too.

I would stay up late watching it if I had one in my bedroom.

Nothing I said above was anti-TV.

Though, there still in nothing on.

Respond to this message   

ED
(Login englishdude)

January 24 2012, 7:41 AM 

What I'd really dig is a wall-mounted TV just above the bottom of the bath in the bathroom. Now that would be bliss!

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

January 24 2012, 8:21 AM 

Did you ever get a tv hangover? Like you wake up from your hours of tv daze headachy and blear-eyed, cotton mouthed and allergic to the sun? Wha? Theres a whole world beyond this screen?

Respond to this message   

ED
(Login englishdude)

January 24 2012, 9:10 AM 

Yeah I had that, but I just kept watching through the pain.

Respond to this message   
Kathleen
(no login)

January 24 2012, 12:07 PM 

We just put a TV in our bedroom last spring. I LOVE it.

As stated above, I normally watch TV after everyone else has gone to bed for about an hour, and I do that in the livingroom. But having a TV in the bedroom is nice for when a kid (or an adult!) is sick, since the TV in the livingroom isn't near a bathroom, and the other TV is in the family room, where it is a little chilly.

For non-sick-times, that is where we watch old episodes of the Brady Bunch together, and Dan might turn it on maybe 2 or 3 nights a week for about twenty minutes before he goes to sleep.

Respond to this message   

Odd Todd
(Premier Login oddtodd7)
Forum Owner

January 24 2012, 12:28 PM 

Most TV I watch with my 'fiance'...

right now shows include:

The Bachelor
Jersey Shore
Bill Maher
Sons of Anarchy
Modern Family

main show she watches that I dont watch:

Housewives of somewhere or whatever..

main show I watch that she won't watch:

Eastbound and Down

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

January 24 2012, 12:33 PM 

Don't make me go all Elaine on you. happy.gif

"fee-awn-saaayy"

Respond to this message   
'neady
(no login)

January 24 2012, 12:39 PM 

There's only one show our house is dedicated to and that's Modern Family. However, if Autumn wasn't there to remind us every Wednesday we probably wouldn't watch every week.

I've never watched one episode of Lost, The Bachelor shows, Breaking Bad, Dexter, Housewives, Walking Dead, or any of those other series people rave about. I wish I would. I feel like I'm missing out on some good stuff.

The girls don't have a TV in their bedrooms but B and I do. It's mostly on when I'm folding clothes or cleaning my room. Otherwise never.

So our living room TV took a crap on us over the weekend. It wouldn't turn off and then after B unplugged it and plugged it back in again it wouldn't turn on. I told him it was probably something minor and we could just get it fixed. Who cares if it's a pre flat screen. It would be cheaper to fix than buy a new one. A big screen with amazing resolution isn't important to me.
Well, this gave B the perfect opportunity to go out and buy his flat screen and he was like a kid in a candy store. He bought one, took it home, and hooked it up.

Personally I thought our old TV had a much better picture and couldn't understand what all the hoopla was about these TVs. I thought everyone in the world was crazy for thinking they're so great.
So then I remembered that HDTV is something you have to subscribe to through your cable company. I called them yesterday and since B had off work he ran and swapped boxes.

After coming home and doing dinner/dishes/bath I settled down to watch Kill Bill Vol.1 (yes again). I was really impressed with how much the HDTV cleared things up. Very nice indeed!

I get it now!

Respond to this message   

(Login TrulyScrumptious)
EEE

January 24 2012, 2:50 PM 

I could watch that movie a million times, and never be sick of it.

Wiggle your big toe.

Respond to this message   
'neady
(no login)

January 24 2012, 2:54 PM 

As many times as I have seen it I never understood why Budd was mad at Bill. Do you know?

Respond to this message   

Anny
(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

January 24 2012, 4:11 PM 

I googled it because I didn't know either. I found this theory that the poster said was taken from an interview with Carradine (FWIW):

"Carradine said that QT explained him that he had the idea, that - after the bride story - Bill took Elle, but Budd also wanna have her. But Elle wanted Bill, so Budd was pissed off of Bill and Elle."

What do you think?

ETA: Wow... that poster really leaves something to be desired in terms of the English language!

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

January 24 2012, 4:38 PM 

I always thought Bud resented Bill for getting him into killing people. And Elle (and Bill) saw him as kind of a traitor for turning his back on it, that's why they hated eachother. But he seemed to have no problem thinking he killed Beatrix Kiddo so that always confused me a bit.

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

January 25 2012, 12:19 PM 

I thought once they killed the bride and Bill got the little girl, they all went their own ways and were on their own and Bud was mad he had to be a bouncer at a strip club and live in a trailer.

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

January 25 2012, 12:36 PM 

Well that too. I think they just disagreed on how to live.

Respond to this message   

(Login TrulyScrumptious)
EEE

January 25 2012, 11:59 AM 

Catch up on the phenomenon. Watch Game of Thrones Season 1 replays Thursdays at 10PM, starting tomorrow, only on HBO.

If you didn't watch this the first time around, definitely watch it now. Season 2 starts on April 1, and you will want to be caught up.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
EEE

January 25 2012, 12:26 PM 

I'm 150 pages from being done with the second book Troo!

You reading those? Also awesome. There are five I think, and I'm certainly going to have eaten all of those by April when season 2 starts.

Very good - though I will say he knows he's got a good thing going, and he's certainly in no hurry to finish! I could probably do without some of the detail...

Respond to this message   

(Login TrulyScrumptious)
EEE

January 25 2012, 1:07 PM 

The books are deliciously long, I gobbled them up last summer. Love the books, but the HBO series is the bomb. Peter Dinklage is incredible. Love Cersei and Jon Snow. Love everything about this show except that they kill off just about anyone!

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

January 25 2012, 1:11 PM 

I've nicknamed the book series - Everybody Dies!.

I can't wait to see people rage when it starts happening in the show.

Respond to this message   
'neady
(no login)

January 25 2012, 1:13 PM 

What is this show Peter Dinklage is in? I would totally do him.

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

January 25 2012, 1:17 PM 

Peter Dinklage? Is that his pr0n name?

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

January 25 2012, 1:21 PM 

He has a great name. It suits him.

Respond to this message   

(Login TrulyScrumptious)
EEE

Game of Thrones

January 25 2012, 1:22 PM 

'Nerdy

Tyrion Lannister, is the third and youngest child of Tywin and Joanna. Tyrion is a dwarf, because of this he is sometimes mockingly called The Imp and The Halfman. He is one of the major POV Character in the books. In the TV series, Tyrion is played by Peter Dinklage.

It's on HBO tomorrow night at 10. DVR it!

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
EEE

Re: Game of Thrones

January 25 2012, 1:27 PM 

Really, the part was practically written for the guy.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
EEE

January 25 2012, 1:27 PM 

No, I mean really really.

(WTF N54 today?)

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

January 25 2012, 1:36 PM 

Actually, Tyrion Lanaster is often described in the books as physically hideous in addition to being a dwarf.

Peter Dinklage is the Brad Pitt of little people.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
EEE

January 25 2012, 1:39 PM 

I first saw him in the Station Agent.

When I heard his speeches on the show Game of Thrones, I thought they'd picked the perfect guy.

I agree, he's not ugly.

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

January 25 2012, 1:43 PM 

I think he's really handsome. But I always see him running across a conference room table like in Elf and Will Ferrell going "Look at you!"

Respond to this message   
Anny
(no login)

January 25 2012, 1:46 PM 

I was just going to say that, Ginny.

I was watching some award show and saw he won and I was like "Oh! One of Santa's elves!"

Respond to this message   
'neady
(no login)

January 25 2012, 1:46 PM 

Station Agent is a great movie but it's not his looks I'm attracted to. Some people's talent turns me on.

Respond to this message   

(Login TrulyScrumptious)
EEE

January 25 2012, 2:17 PM 

Peter Dinklage won an Emmy and a Golden Globe for his portayal of Tyrion Lannister. Season 1 is On Demand. I am watching the first episode right now. I forgot what a little shit that Joffrey Baratheon is.

Respond to this message   

(Login Appalled)
AAA

January 25 2012, 2:17 PM 

I could happily live my whole life without ever knowning what turns you on.

Respond to this message   
'neady
(no login)

January 25 2012, 2:20 PM 

I can happily tell you that I really don't give a shit.

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

January 25 2012, 2:23 PM 

Booyah?

Respond to this message   
'neady
(no login)

January 25 2012, 2:31 PM 

Not really.

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

January 25 2012, 2:32 PM 

I wasn't sure.

Respond to this message   

(Login Appalled)
AAA

January 25 2012, 2:36 PM 

I'm glad you two are bonding.

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

January 25 2012, 2:38 PM 

I hate when anons bond with regular posters!

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

January 25 2012, 2:39 PM 

It is unnatural like watching TV in the bedroom.

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

January 25 2012, 2:39 PM 

Quiet, you.

Respond to this message   
'neady
(no login)

January 25 2012, 2:53 PM 

Not all Muslims are terrorists you know.

THAT TURNS ME ON!

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

January 25 2012, 2:55 PM 

Go on...

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - TV Watching Habits?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!