<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!  

Hoarding

January 30 2012 at 4:02 PM
Appalled  (no login)

I don't understand it and I do not know why they want to be on tv. Last night instead of going to bed like a reasonable person, I got caught up watching hoarders on TLC and OMG EW.

Its so hard to wrap your mind around.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

Re: Hoarding

January 30 2012, 4:25 PM 

I don't know how TLC would count me as a viewer of this (or some of their other programming) - but just in case they have a way, I will never ever watch this crap and justify the advertising dollars spent thereon.

Ditto the Housewives of anywhere or the Teen Moms of any kind.

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

January 30 2012, 4:30 PM 

Listen, I'm not proud of it. In fact I only watched the beginning, but it was beyond horrible.

Toddlers and tiara is another show that should in no way be on tv. Same situation, late one night, our movie is done, instead of turn g off the tv we flip to this train wreck. Only watched 10 minutes of it,but it was like watching televised child abuse.

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

January 30 2012, 4:38 PM 

I feel terrible gawking at people who are clearly mentally ill. But I'll admit it, I have. And it makes me feel WAY better about my housekeeping.

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

January 30 2012, 4:39 PM 

SO-BOO's dad is a hoarder. The only reason he isn't totally out of control is because SO-BOO's mom restricts him and doesn't allow it.

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

January 30 2012, 4:41 PM 

Well, the hoarding is one thing. The people who just have a lot of crap don't bother me, but the ones who live in absolute filth? Sometimes I have to turn it because it's just too gross to watch.

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

January 30 2012, 4:44 PM 

Don't you think the absolute filth comes from just amassing so much crap though?

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

January 30 2012, 4:50 PM 

There was one recently where a woman was hoarding her own pee. She had gallons and gallons of empty water bottles filled with piss. Or the lady where they kept finding dead cats burried in the piles? I've seen horders that just have a lot of stuff, then there's people that really take it to the next level.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

January 30 2012, 4:53 PM 

OMG!! That's the NAST!

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

January 30 2012, 4:55 PM 

Honestly, I couldn't even desribe the bathroom of the piss hoarder without retching a little so I won't try.

Respond to this message   

Bider Spite
(Login BiderSpite)
XXX

January 30 2012, 4:54 PM 

Squid I think its funny that you get so into the bachlor(ette) but you wont watch the other shite you posted (which I refuse to watch as well.)

Respond to this message   

DJ
(Login DJ.)
AAA

January 30 2012, 4:59 PM 

I watch Hoarders because I'm a shameful rubber-necker and I have 2 very close people in my life who do this. It's helped me understand them better and in one case assist with some recovery, as monumentally frustrating as they can be.

Although I have a hard time understanding the filth hoarders. Apparently they get something called "garbage blindness" and get used to the stench quickly but it's hard to fathom someone who is so detached from themselves and the world that keeping a room full of used adult diapers piled to the ceiling like a miniature Mt. Aracrap is baffling.

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

January 30 2012, 5:42 PM 

How come no one on those awful shows ever hoards anything nice?

No one is ever like, "Oh, I hoard flower arrangements," or "I just can't stop collecting precious metals."

It's always used Q-Tips or urine.

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

January 30 2012, 6:02 PM 

Get this. Has nothing to do with hoarding.

I knew this kid whose parents were loaded. His father was like a sub division developer in the late 80's and early 90's. But, they had a bad septic system. So, instead of fixing it, they would wipe their asses and throw the paper in the waste basket. So like, we'd be hanging out and he wouldn't let anyone use the bathroom. And the one time I did, there was a basket full of soiled paper in the waste basket.

fucked up, right?

Respond to this message   

(Login Lizzlee)
XXX

January 30 2012, 6:05 PM 

That's common among Mexicans. We were constantly reminding our Mexican staff at the restaurant(s) I worked at that it is OKAY and actually PREFERRED that they flush their toilet paper!!

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

January 30 2012, 6:10 PM 

I had some white trash cousins like that too.

And they ALWAYS used our bathroom when they came over.

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

January 30 2012, 6:21 PM 

I'm trying to eat dinner here people!

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

January 30 2012, 6:23 PM 

Watching hoarders will definitely quell the urge to snack while watching TV.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

January 30 2012, 6:39 PM 

My great-grandmother had mental issues and lived in stench and squalor. I can understand how people can become unbalanced. It's just unfathomable that they would choose to expose their shame on television. I'm mortified if I have unexpected guests and the bathroom is less than pristine or my counter tops need wiping. It's also completely inexplicable that people will go on talk shows and let the world know that they had incestuous relations or some such thing. Don't they have to live in this world, apply for jobs, have neighbors?

Respond to this message   
jo
(no login)

January 30 2012, 7:13 PM 

a couple of my home nurses mentioned they've had/have hoarders. Not dirt and refuse but things like magazine piles, piled to the ceilings, pillar after pillar so one has to walk sideways. Another has tin cans. Cans washed and stacked covering walls yet the outside of these homes have lovely gardens and well kept lawns.

Respond to this message   

(Login Lizzlee)
XXX

January 30 2012, 7:22 PM 

This is timely for me, as I am doing my semi-annual decluttering. I am not a hoarder, but if I had to pick out the one thing I hang onto for too long, it would probably be papers. Not newspapers -- bills, receipts, schoolwork and the like.

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

January 30 2012, 7:54 PM 

I'm whatever the opposite of a hoarder is.

I always want to get rid of things, sometimes things I just bought.

Every time we move, my gf has to talk me into talking stuff because I always want to leave everything behind.

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

January 30 2012, 7:58 PM 

I definitely have a few closets I need to clear out.

If I can see it, it bugs me. But I have no problem with closets completely jammed full of crap I haven't used/worn/needed for 6 years.

Respond to this message   

(Login Lizzlee)
XXX

January 30 2012, 8:08 PM 

Oh, yeah... clothes. I guess I have a hard time throwing away clothes as well.

ETA: I actually had no trouble at all throwing away Jeff's clothes. wink.gif

This message has been edited by Lizzlee on Jan 30, 2012 8:09 PM

Respond to this message   

jiggy
(Login opdm)
AAA

January 30 2012, 10:04 PM 

Hoarders on A&E is one of my favorite shows.

I work with a hoarder and it's fascinating to hang out at his house. He collects stuff, not nastiness.
I'm not a hoarder but I see the tendency I have to keep things I know I'll never use again so the show kind of keeps me motivated to get rid of stuff.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

January 31 2012, 9:31 AM 

I'll grant you SOME irony that I watch the Bachelor.

However, that show seems like wholesome family values compared to all these other reality TV shows to me.

I conceed the point though. Not judging those who like and watch it, I just feel badly about myself when I watch those shows. I don't have that reaction with the Bachelor.

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

January 31 2012, 9:35 AM 

And animal hoarders is even worse... These shows are just too sad for me to watch. But they do make. Me clean like my mother is coming to visit.

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

January 31 2012, 9:37 AM 

The Bachelor is TV fakery at its worst. At least those Hoarding people aren't faking it. They're being trotted out on national television for monetary gain by people free of conscience, but you aren't faking a room full of poo. Or those bathrooms. It's exploitation and I can't watch it. I tried. Can't do it.

But the Bachelor? I can't believe it's still on the air. So, so scripted. And the "relationships" go nowhere, am I right?

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

January 31 2012, 9:39 AM 

The bachelor is like watching professional wrestling, only more disgraceful to women. Three is no high horse here.

Respond to this message   

ED
(Login englishdude)

January 31 2012, 9:49 AM 

Ah, the wonderful spectacle that is Appy at her indignant best.

Does Pee Jay still have the hots for you, Ap?

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

January 31 2012, 10:19 AM 

PJ is a happily married man to a lovely woman and a father of a beautiful son, but of course he does, don't you?

Respond to this message   

ED
(Login englishdude)

January 31 2012, 10:21 AM 

I've never seen a picture of you, yet I feel that I probably do. It's that ice queen thing you got going on. Draws a fella in, you know?

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

January 31 2012, 10:26 AM 

It's a curse, but I endure.

Respond to this message   

Resident Sleepwalker
(Login Syrgot)
XXX

January 31 2012, 9:36 AM 

People watch Hoarders for the same reason they watch husbands beat their wives on Lifetime Television for Women - it makes their own miserable lives seem better by comparison.

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

January 31 2012, 10:00 AM 

Well aren't you Mr. Sunshine, today.

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

January 31 2012, 10:01 AM 

This still doesn't explain why Jerry Springer is still on the air. Or maybe it does?

Respond to this message   

Pee Jay
(Login orvis)
AAA

January 31 2012, 4:01 PM 

My theory about reality TV is that it has to pursue either more taboo material, or take on a scripted feel to be successful at this point. Its been a genre for so long that there are topics and approaches that have become stale - and the American viewer always is looking to be tantalized.

The dominance of the genre can be seen in its impact on actual scripted TV, where the norm is to have single shot camera sequences and interviews a la The Office and Modern Family.

So by my theory - the shows like Teen Mom and Hoarders are testing taboos, while the RHs, Bachelor/Bachelorette and Apprentice are taking on the scripted role. This is also the reasoning for celebrity realty shows, as these folks are easier to script/place in unbelievable circumstances.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

January 31 2012, 4:08 PM 

OK. I just hate everything but the reality shows I watch.

I hereby yield the high road.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

January 31 2012, 4:08 PM 

But I'll still be in Scotland afore ye, wee Pee Jay!

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

January 31 2012, 5:08 PM 

I've never seen teen mom, I don't think I could watch it.

Respond to this message   

Bider Spite
(Login BiderSpite)
XXX

January 31 2012, 5:35 PM 

Hunh. I guess I watch reality shows afterall. I watch ghosthunters, well listen to it while I fruck around on the computer. I like listening to them banter with each other. I'll also watch that face off show because I like seeing the finished costumes. Occasionally I'll get caught off guard by a coupla others but I don't seek them out.

"Ta Friggin da"

Respond to this message   
Amber
(no login)

January 31 2012, 8:07 PM 

Reality shows I watch: (Not every episode, but I will stop and watch when I see it on)

Pawn Stars
American Pickers
Keeping up with the Kardashians & its spin-offs (I know, I know...)

G watches Ghost Hunters, but I don't like it.

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

February 1 2012, 12:22 PM 

If you own a TV, you really can't avoid reality shows. They are about 70% of what is on these days.

I admit that I will occasionally watch the ones about bizarre professions - pickers, repo, fisherman, etc. - if I happen to stumble across them while I'm surfing. I've yet to come across one that I would make an effort to see, however.

All of the Jersey, Housewives, bachelor/ette shows should just be renamed: Look How Bad I Want To Be Famous!

The American Idol/Got Talent, X-Factor, Next big... shows just seem to be people trying to circumvent the hard work and experience portions of their respective careers and skipping right to the fame and money. It's never actually worked for any of them EXCEPT CARRIE UNDERWOOD, yet still they try.

A coworker is obsessed with Teen Moms. She was trying to tell me about it and how fascinating it is to watch them struggle. My reply was, "They're on the #2 rated show on MTV. Do you think any of those girls are struggling in real life? They probably make more money in a season than our whole department makes in a year."

This message has been edited by Hepatitis_C on Feb 2, 2012 5:28 PM

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

February 1 2012, 12:53 PM 

I think Kelly Clarkson managed to do it. But she's also got talent, so there's that.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

February 1 2012, 1:00 PM 

Hep, your comment about American Idol just isn't accurate.

"As of 2011 American Idol alumni in their post-Idol career have amassed a total sales of over 55 million albums and 90 million singles and digital track downloads in the U.S."

Go here and look at the awards they've won: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Idol#Top-selling_American_Idol_alumni

Jennifer Hudson won an academy award for Pete's sake (in addition to a grammy for best R&B album). That's successful by any measure.

Carrie Underwood is a pretty heavy hitter in her field.

Sorry - just plain not a fair statement.

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

February 1 2012, 1:03 PM 

Oy.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

February 1 2012, 1:04 PM 

I find your copying a beloved charater from Stephen King's the Gunslinger Series to be offensive.

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

February 1 2012, 1:08 PM 

Fairly offensive. The least you could do is get is right and not overstate or put words in someone's fingers.

Wait.

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

February 1 2012, 1:11 PM 

Jennifer Hudson worked hard and gained experience to get where she is post-Idol.

Don't know about Underwood.

I was talking about the winners. Sure, if you add them all together they sell some albums, but you couldn't really consider any one of them to be an overwhelming success individually. Some have gone on to achieve mediocre success after some work and putting in dues, but none bypassed that stage of their career development. Which was all I was trying to say.

Not one of them has actually ever become an American idol, as the title suggests.

And Kelly Clarkson doesn't count because she was already a signed artist before AI. She was a ringer brought on in case the show didn't produce any real talents.

This message has been edited by Hepatitis_C on Feb 1, 2012 1:13 PM

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

February 1 2012, 1:16 PM 

Did anyone hear any of the album the guy who won "The Voice" released? P.U. It was laughable it was so bad. It was like Weird Al, but not funny and not on purpose.

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

February 1 2012, 1:16 PM 

I was duped by reality television?

Say it ain't so.

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

February 1 2012, 2:30 PM 

Didn't William Hung outsell Rubin Dullard when their albums came out?

Respond to this message   
'neady
(no login)

February 1 2012, 2:43 PM 

Chris Daughtry seems to be doing well.
On second thought, he is set to perform in the city I grew up in so I guess that there is a sign he's on a slippery slope to the bottom.

Nevermind.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

February 1 2012, 2:58 PM 

I don't even watch or particularly like American Idol. But I do like facts, and Hep's position on this is just mistaken. Carrie Underwood was a winner, and she's among the most successful country stars of all time. There is no human being who could read the below and not call this person wondrously successful. I bolded a couple key lines.

More wiki:

Carrie Marie Underwood (born March 10, 1983) is an American country singer, songwriter and actress who rose to fame as the winner of the fourth season of American Idol, in 2005. Underwood has since become a multi-platinum selling recording artist, a winner of several Grammy Awards, Billboard Music Awards and American Music Awards, a Golden Globe Award nominee, a three-time Academy of Country Music and Country Music Association Female Vocalist winner, and a two-time ACM Entertainer of the Year. She is the first-ever female artist to win back-to-back Academy of Country Music (ACM) Awards for Entertainer of the Year (2009/10). Underwood was inducted into and became a member of the Grand Ole Opry in 2008. She was also inducted into the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame in 2009.[1]

Her debut album, Some Hearts, was certified seven times platinum and, since February 2006, is the fastest selling debut country album in Nielsen SoundScan history.[2] It is also the best-selling solo female debut album in country music history, since February 2008.[3] Some Hearts yielded three number one hits on the Billboard Hot Country Songs and a number one hit on the Billboard Hot 100 Songs. Her second album, Carnival Ride, was released on October 23, 2007. It has sold over 3 million copies as of January 2010,[4] being certified 3 times Platinum,[5] and produced four consecutive number one hits on the Billboard Hot Country Songs. Underwood released her third album, Play On, on November 3, 2009. It has been certified 2 times Platinum by the RIAA[5] and has produced three consecutive number one hits on the Billboard Hot Country Songs. As of June 2011, Underwood has sold over 22 million singles and 16 million albums worldwide.[6][7][8] As of May 16, 2011, Carrie became the "American Idol" US Top Earner, selling so far 12.3 million album copies and 18.5 million digital tracks, along with amassing $66 million in tour revenues, since winning Season 4.[9]

With eleven number one hits on Billboard Hot Country Songs, Underwood is listed in the 2012 Guinness Book Of World Records as the Female Country Artist with Most number one Hits on such chart from 1991 to present, tied with Reba McEntire.[10] Underwood is also the only solo Country Artist to have a number one hit on Billboard Hot 100 Songs in the 2000 decade, as "Inside Your Heaven" reached the top of the chart in July 2005. Her album Some Hearts was named the Best Country Album of the 2000 Decade by Billboard,[11] and she's the only Female Artist to appear on the Top 10 of Billboard's Best Country Artists of the 2000 Decade list, ranked at number ten.[12] She was also ranked number 50 on the Artists of the Decade list by Billboard.[13] In June 2011, Rolling Stone magazine ranked Carrie as the number eleven Queen of Pop, based on a lot of criteria from 2009 until 2011.[14] In July 2011, Forbes reported that Underwood earned over $20 million between May 2010 and May 2011.[15]

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

February 1 2012, 3:02 PM 

Is she the one that will slash your tires, break your headlights and carve her name into your front seat? People are probably just afraid to tell her no.

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

February 2 2012, 5:27 PM 

I stand corrected.

I'll edit my original post accordingly to make Squid happy.

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

February 3 2012, 7:18 AM 

It's easier to just give in, isn't it?

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

February 3 2012, 8:35 AM 

For what it's worth Hep, the overal general knowledge of man was what made me happy here, and fulfilling my own desire, given the information available to us, for us all to be right. Not to win a point that you were wrong.

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

February 3 2012, 7:42 PM 

Oh, no worries. I wasn't upset at any point in the dialogue.

And I like to think that I'm much more accommodating about admitting when I'm wrong than most people on the internet.

That fucktarded anon we have here that will continue to argue directly into the face of any fact or evidence presented to it, just for a totally random example. wink.gif

I still think American Idol is to music, what Bluebeard was to marriage though.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

February 3 2012, 7:51 PM 

Hep, you might not want to read the following on a full stomach:

Ian Wilson/WENN.com

Adam Lambert has confirmed he is set to join Queen as the bands new front man for a tour this summer.

The star was joined by original group members Brian May and Roger Taylor during his finale performance on 2009s American Idol, and the trio teamed up once more at the MTV European Music Awards in November.

The collaborations led to speculation that Lambert would be stepping in to take the place of late singer Freddie Mercury in an upcoming trek, and Taylor fueled the reports, saying in December, He has grown into a really great performer with an astonishing voice. We would like to work with him again. Theres nothing signed just yet but were talking about live dates.

Lambert has now announced he will be touring with May and Taylor throughout 2012 including dates at Knebworth in England, where Queen played their final gig with Mercury in 1986, before his death in 1991.

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

February 3 2012, 8:37 PM 

I'll assume Adam Lambert is from American Idol.

Queen is actually the perfect band for an American Idol alumni to join. Not that Queen was bad, they just never took themselves too seriously. It will be weird to see a bunch of 60 year-olds fronted by a twenty-something, but whatever.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Hoarding
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!