<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!  

Is this racist?

February 7 2012 at 7:29 AM
Appalled  (no login)

Seen on pinterest.... A woman wearing sugar skull makeup and a bunch of "Love it!" comments and one comment that says "it's racist!" With this link

http://nuestrahermana.tumblr.com/post/11826227843/dia-de-los-muertos-is-not-your-halloween-by

So, racist? What do you think xica?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

Re: Is this racist?

February 7 2012, 9:17 AM 

It might be culturally insensitive, but it's not racist.

I guess it is sort of a good sign that overt racism has become rare enough for people to so often mistake the mildly offensive or insensitive for racist.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

February 7 2012, 9:59 AM 

Hrmm. I say no, even to the culturally insensitive. Halloween costumes are meant to mimic things you see in the world all year long. I say this is fair game and is an homage not a degredation.

Of course there are limits, but it's not like white face or being a cigar store Indian at all.

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

February 7 2012, 10:24 AM 

Please explain why it isn't, SB. I really want to know.

I find appropriating a culture that you have no idea about (or only a vague knowledge) to be culturally insensitive. But then I'm overly sensitive to even people in the States being all "kiss me I'm Irish Erin Go Bragh!" when they know nothing about Irish history aside from the fact that their last name starts with a Mac or an O'.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

February 7 2012, 10:26 AM 

Do I hear the wind blowing?

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

February 7 2012, 10:43 AM 

HONESTLY! People really will complain about anything and everything.

Should I stop telling people I am Serbian because I don't know everything about the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand? Sorry, wiki tells me his full title is Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria. Or stop telling people I am Canadian because I don't know everything about Louis Riel?

Does everything have to be racist these days?

Respond to this message   

(Login TrulyScrumptious)
XXX

February 7 2012, 10:46 AM 

Kiss my half Irish, half Sicilian ass, Anonobomb!

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

February 7 2012, 10:50 AM 

Man Troo, no wonder you're a drunken mobster.

Respond to this message   

(Login TrulyScrumptious)
XXX

February 7 2012, 10:53 AM 

Only on the weekends now. :D

Respond to this message   

Funk
(Login Funkenstien)
XXX

February 7 2012, 10:55 AM 

I like to cook and eat cajun food, yet I am not a descendant of Acadian exiles. I feel like such a fraud. Let's ban all cultural mixing; this will end racism faster than Paula Deen can eat a bucket of hot wings.

Respond to this message   

PearlGurl
(Login pearlgurl)
AAA

February 7 2012, 10:55 AM 

I don't see how it's any more racist or inappropriate than a non-Christian dressing up as the Easter bunny or Santa Claus. They're all just fun symbols of the blending of religious and local customs. Dressing up like a Muslim cleric or Jesus, bloodied and crucified would cross the line into cultural insensitivity, but still wouldn't qualify as racist, in my opinion. Should people stop allowing their daughters to dress like princesses because they are not actual royalty? People can find reasons to be offended if they want to be offended.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

February 7 2012, 11:08 AM 

Wow. I am surrounded by frauds!

Respond to this message   
Not the Weird Anon
(no login)

February 7 2012, 11:12 AM 

Racism is so deeply entrenched and pervasive in many societies that everyday racism is often unintentional. On the other hand, what is always intentional is anti-racism. The struggle against racism resists the pervasive ideologies and practices that explicitly and invisibly structure our daily lives (albeit in very different ways that are stratified by race, gender, class, and sexuality). Anti-racism requires intentionality because its an act of conscience.

Respond to this message   
Funk
(no login)

February 7 2012, 11:19 AM 

Anon, are you actually blogger "minh-ha t. pham"? because that's as far back as I could trace the quote you just posted.

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

February 7 2012, 11:51 AM 

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

February 7 2012, 12:44 PM 

I clicked on the link, and I don't even understand what is supposed to be racist.

We have Dia De Los Muertos celebrations here and while they are definitely something brought over by Mexicans and Central Americans, it's a holiday that takes place out in the public. I go almost every year and it's one of my favorite things. There's lots of white folks, especially artists of all races, who make shrines and displays. And anyone can get their face painted. Usually the people doing it are doing so for donations to a charity, money being the great race equilizer in America, after all. In fact, everyone makes money off the deal (parking, food, selling stuff) when more people show up so they certainly aren't keeping anyone out because they aren't brown enough.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, but I think the link may have redirected because honestly, I don't get what you guys are talking about.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

February 7 2012, 1:21 PM 

No, it's that lamely butt hurt Ginny.

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

February 7 2012, 1:28 PM 

I saw the bit at the end and get it a little more. I can appreciate that people don't want their culture diluted, but that's what happens when you get accepted mainstream. You can't have it both ways. Not a lot of anti-irish tossed around with seriousness anymore, but everyone's going to rock a shamrock t-shirt on St. Patricks day.

I think even the author above was simply asking people to appreciate there is a meaning behind it. Which is true. But "racist"? No.

Respond to this message   

(Login Dr.Zhivago)
XXX

February 7 2012, 2:33 PM 

How come Hispanics get to be their own race? Is it because of the Moorish influence on the Iberian peninsula?

Land sakes alive, the steak's alive.

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoom
(no login)

February 7 2012, 2:36 PM 

I'm not sure how this will play in middle America.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Is this racist?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!