<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!  

You know who I think is funny...

March 23 2012 at 11:50 PM

CapsLock  (Login HOLDSDOWNSHIFTKEY)
AAA

Anthony Jeselnik

NSFW

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Ginny
(Login BATHBOMB)

Re: You know who I think is funny...

March 24 2012, 12:03 AM 

You're seen the Ricky Gervaise Show on HBO, haven't you? New episodes next month, I can't wait.

Respond to this message   

CapsLock
(Login HOLDSDOWNSHIFTKEY)
AAA

March 24 2012, 12:10 AM 

No. I dropped HBO. Is Jeselnik on the show? Or does he just remind you of Gervais?

Respond to this message   

CapsLock
AAA

March 24 2012, 12:16 AM 

The best clip out of the three I posted is the Dane Cook impersonation.

It's the shortest too.

Watch it!

Respond to this message   

Ginny
(Login BATHBOMB)

March 24 2012, 12:27 AM 

Ok, if you watch this.

Respond to this message   

Ginny
(Login BATHBOMB)

March 24 2012, 12:32 AM 

You're right, that one was the funniest.

Respond to this message   

CapsLock
AAA

March 24 2012, 12:38 AM 

I watched about 6 minutes.

Awful. Is it the accent that's supposed to be funny?

Respond to this message   

Ginny
(Login BATHBOMB)

March 24 2012, 12:42 AM 

I think that's just how people talk over there.

I thought it was funny because I know exactly what he's talking about.

Respond to this message   

(Login JenBunny)
AAA

March 24 2012, 2:03 AM 

I LOVE Ross Noble! I've been lucky enough to see him live 3 times, he is hilarious happy.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login kirwing)

March 24 2012, 5:12 AM 

Idiot Abroad is pretty good and the other animated series I'll watch.

Bored To Death and Shameless have there killer moments, too. Especially BTD. Still kind of not sure which one is better - Larry David's Curb or Bill Maher....kind of comparing apples and oranges. All of the characters are so fucking good in Curb....Jeff Green pulls off some awesome improvisational segments.

Was anybody a fan of Inception?

Respond to this message   

(Login jeez_louise)
AAA

March 24 2012, 7:26 AM 

So you know how a few months back Louis CK did this thing where if you sent him $5 you got a download of his latest stand-up show? This:
http://www.ifc.com/fix/2011/12/louis-ck-live-at-the-beacon-theater

"In mid-November 2011, fed up with dealing with television outlets and various external demands, stand-up extraordinaire Louis CK decided make his own stand. The comedian rented New York Citys Beacon Theater, hired his own production crew and filmed a brand-new one-hour comedy special out of his own pocket. The aim? To offer it one month later as a $5 Internet download."

It's a big deal, because that way he doesn't have to share the profits with Comedy Central or whoever, which makes it cheaper for the fans, too.

ANYWAY apparently he made a buttload of money:

"The show went on sale at noon on Saturday, December 10th. 12 hours later, we had over 50,000 purchases and had earned $250,000, breaking even on the cost of production and website. As of Today, weve sold over 110,000 copies for a total of over $500,000. Minus some money for PayPal charges etc, I have a profit around $200,000 (after taxes $75.58). This is less than I would have been paid by a large company to simply perform the show and let them sell it to you, but they would have charged you about $20 for the video. They would have given you an encrypted and regionally restricted video of limited value, and they would have owned your private information for their own use. They would have withheld international availability indefinitely. This way, you only paid $5, you can use the video any way you want, and you can watch it in Dublin, whatever the city is in Belgium, or Dubai. I got paid nice, and I still own the video (as do you). You never have to join anything, and you never have to hear from us again."

(I know this is already venturing into TLDR territory).

It looks like this might now be A Thing among comedians, because this past week Aziz Ansari released his own $5 show, all new material.

Worth checking out if you like either of these guys.

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

March 24 2012, 10:12 AM 

What a great idea! Thanks Louise.

When you look at this part "had earned $250,000, breaking even on the cost of production and website" it's amazing any artist makes any money at all. The intertubes are full of posts about how that new movie John Carter will be the biggest money loser, ever, just because of how much it cost to make. They'll never make it up in sales. A few years ago there was a woman who did a music video listing all the money it takes for things like hair, makeup, editing etc in a 4min music video. The point was to list how much money could have gone to charity or something but it was interesting to see it all listed.

Respond to this message   

(Login jeez_louise)
AAA

March 24 2012, 10:21 AM 

The best part of it is that Louis CK kept some of the profit for himself, then gave he rest to his employees as bonuses.

ACTUALLY the best part is the message you get when you buy Aziz' show:

"OH SHIITTTT!!!! Thanks for buying my new comedy special!!! THAT $5 IS MINE SON. Just kidding, but seriously it is."

Respond to this message   

CapsLock
AAA

March 24 2012, 10:36 AM 

I just bought the Louis CK bit. I'm going to watch it tonight. I downloaded it to a USB drive and plugged it into the back of my TV. I knew I was supposed to be able to that in theory but had never tried it. It worked.

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

March 24 2012, 10:43 AM 

Caps, Anthony Jeselnik is the best. Can't remember how I first heard of him. Had not seen those clips before happy.gif

ETA
I know now. He did the Charlie Sheen roast. Funny guy.

Respond to this message   

Funk
(Login Funkenstien)
EEE

March 24 2012, 10:59 AM 

I hate wading through mediocre standup to find the good guys, thanks.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
EEE

March 24 2012, 11:12 AM 

That Dane Cook thing is dead on. I'll watch the others later. THanks Caps.

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

March 24 2012, 11:35 AM 

Jeselnek(sic?) is okay, but he seems way too arrogant for his current level of success. He reminds me of Orny Adams when he first came out.

I go in phases with comedians. I'm currently into Jim Jeffries, Bill Burr, and Doug Stanhope.

John Mulaney also seems to have a lot of promise. Google his "Best meal I ever had" or "Law and Order" bits if you don't know who he is.

The Louis CK show was probably the weakest of all his shows that I've seen, but I still bought it anyway because I so loved the idea behind it. I want that distribution method to catch on with everyone. I'll probably buy Ansiri's too, because $5 is nothing and he's great on Parks and Rec.

I've been saying for almost a decade that the internet will eventually kill off the publishers of any creative material. Not the makers, just the publishers. They are unnecessary middle-men now. Their only remaining purpose is to jack up the price of a product on its way from the creator to the consumer.

Respond to this message   

(Login Dr.Zhivago)
EEE

March 24 2012, 11:45 AM 

I used to work with Bill Burr's brother. He was one of our reference librarians.

Land sakes alive, the steak's alive.

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

March 24 2012, 11:47 AM 

I'm going to imagine him as a twin that acts exactly like Bill.

Best. Reference librarian. Ever.

Please don't shatter my fantasy.

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

March 24 2012, 11:46 AM 

OMG Best Meal I Ever had is hysterical! Thanks happy.gif

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

March 24 2012, 11:56 AM 

Just watched Jim Jefferies - Religion. LOL!!!!

ETA I think he's my new favourite happy.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

March 24 2012, 12:20 PM 

Check out "foreplay" - his bit, not actual foreplay. I would not recommend Googling actual foreplay.

It's his funniest, imo. He's very raunchy though.

- It's been a while, but after rewatching the foreplay bit, I'm convinced ED would especially enjoy it.

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

March 24 2012, 6:09 PM 

Oh yes, it's definitely ED's style

"Tits are like golf, you play the course you're on." LOL

I've been watching his stuff off and on all day, Funny and not too hard on the eyes happy.gif

I saw him do his bit about getting punched in the head then read on wikipedia he was the victim of a home invasion. Got hit in the head with a machete. Holy hell!

Respond to this message   

ED
(Login englishdude)

March 25 2012, 11:53 AM 

I'm not a prude, for God's sake. It's all about context. The only thing I've objected to is using the western world's strongest expletive on this forum. I'm not Tipper Gore.

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

March 25 2012, 7:31 PM 

Hep, you are my fav! I been laughing all weekend. Just what I needed.

Bill Burr is so funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2dOboLsh-4&feature=channel

If you don't have time for the whole thing, part 4 is the funniest IMO

ETA Just when I couldn't sing your praises enough...I do not care for Doug Stanhope. He's too angry and it doesn't come across as funny. The other suggestions have been right on happy.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

March 25 2012, 10:36 PM 

Yeah, Doug Stanhope is a different beast altogether.

He's more in the Lewis Black, Bill Hicks vein of angry social commentary; a little more blue-collar than either of those guys though.

I never thought of you as a prude, ED. I just pointed you out for that particular bit because Jefferies says cunt about 20 times in 8 minutes and you've been on a crusade regarding that word.

Respond to this message   

ED
(Login englishdude)

March 26 2012, 9:31 AM 

I see what you did there. You continue to plumb further depths of juvenility.

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

March 26 2012, 10:51 AM 

And you continue to be a pretentious hipster douchebag.

Respond to this message   

Mevin
(Login mevin)

March 26 2012, 2:38 PM 

Ed, If your main objection was that you and others can't view threads containing the word cunt, because your work filters pages with "bad words", then OK. But the argument that a particular word is too offensive to be used at all is simply arbitrary nonsense. I would even argue that the very idea of banning words is way more offensive. Also, if it's all about context, then how can a single word be off limits?

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

March 26 2012, 2:42 PM 

I thought I would be more upset by it, I mean it is every second word out of his mouth, but then I realized he just uses it like we would use the word asshole so I turned off my offense-meter happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

March 26 2012, 2:42 PM 

ETA must just be the way those people are in Australia. You know, being former convicts and all.

Respond to this message   

ED
(Login englishdude)

March 27 2012, 5:26 AM 

Mevin - because it offends more people than it doesn't. I agree on one level that words are words, but in reality, would you use the c word in front of an old lady or a small child? No. So you know right there that it's a word that upsets people. So why continue to use it? Just because you're trying to be radical and hip? It doesn't cut it.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

March 27 2012, 5:14 PM 

Ed,

First of all, the term "offensive" is completely subjective and whimsical. Personally, I'm deeply offended by organized religion, yet I would never ask people to stop expressing themselves in religious ways. But in answer to your question, would I use the word cunt in front of old ladies and small children? The answer is yes and no. I've never understood why old ladies automatically get put into an easily offendable demographic? And young kids, well, I wouldn't say a lot of things in front of small children, simply because they don't have the intellectual capacity to understand most things.

But making the argument that we wouldn't use vulgar words in front of old ladies and children, therefore we shouldn't use it here, is ridiculous. There needs to be times and places were intelligent adults (or whatever, just adults) can gather and use language of their choosing, sans fear of chastisement. There's a reason we have bars, R rated movies, premium cable and web sites that are designed for adults.

Also, If there's one thing we Americans understand far better than you Brits and Europeans, it's freedom of speech. Your country has twice as many surveillance cameras as we do, and also has dumb laws banning people from doing things like denying the holocaust. Now obviously, denying the holocaust is asinine and well, offensive, if ever there were such a thing. But that's not the point. The point is, laws regarding freedom of speech and expression exist, first and foremost to protect ideas and language that are offensive to a lot of people. After all, if it isn't offensive, then it wouldn't need protection.

Respond to this message   

ED
(Login englishdude)

March 28 2012, 5:58 AM 

Young children can sometimes see what's on my computer screen. That's why I moan about strong language.

Respond to this message   

ED
(Login englishdude)

March 27 2012, 5:27 AM 

Hep, that's your whole trip, not mine.

Respond to this message   
AnonoAnnoy
(no login)

March 27 2012, 6:58 AM 

Are you familiar with the term wet blanket? That's you. Please post a video you find funny so that we all may mock it.

Respond to this message   
AnonoAnnoy
(no login)

March 27 2012, 7:54 AM 

I disagree. ED is not a wet blanket. He just has better manners than you.

Respond to this message   

ED
(Login englishdude)

March 27 2012, 8:23 AM 

I agree with anon about disagree with anon.

Can you guys really not just give yourself names and identities?

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
EEE

March 27 2012, 8:26 AM 

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

ED
(Login englishdude)

March 27 2012, 8:50 AM 

Ha!

Respond to this message   

Funk
(Login Funkenstien)
EEE

March 27 2012, 11:01 AM 

It struck me as odd that I was courteously and softly reminded by NPR yesterday that the Susan G Komen Race For the Cure slogan is "save the ta ta's". Here, we have probably one of the most "politically correct" minded groups, backed by one of the most politically correct demographics, and they use a slang term for breasts in their fundraising activities. It's even ok to say "ta ta's" on NPR! Offensive words are so arbitrarily chosen. I bet neither group would say something like jugs, sweater puppies, melons, boobs, tits, breasticles, or magumbos.

Respond to this message   
Sweet Cheeks
(no login)

March 27 2012, 11:32 AM 

My sister is battling breast cancer (for the second time). Every time we get her one of those magentic "save the tatas" thingies you stick to your car, somebody steals it. Classy, eh?

Respond to this message   

Lizzlee
(Login Lizzlee)
EEE

March 27 2012, 6:56 PM 

On the up side, you are spreading the message!

Respond to this message   
Bider Spite
(Login BidersSpite)

March 27 2012, 10:28 PM 

Come on someone had to do it.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - You know who I think is funny...
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!