<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!  

Arizona

April 3 2012 at 1:31 PM
CapsLock  (no login)

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

Re: Arizona

April 3 2012, 1:33 PM 

The dry heat has baked their brains.

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

April 3 2012, 1:35 PM 

Sounds like the kind of thought policing ED would heartily endorse.

There, hopefully that makes up for almost agreeing with you in another thread. We still nemeses?

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

April 3 2012, 1:41 PM 

I love how Obama got blamed in the comments. Yeah, because clearly Jan Brewer is his puppet.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
EEE

April 3 2012, 1:54 PM 

HA! at Ginny's picture. happy.gif

Respond to this message   

Resident Sleepwalker
(Login Syrgot)
EEE

April 3 2012, 11:50 PM 

I could never respect anyone from Arizona...

Respond to this message   

ED
(Login englishdude)

April 4 2012, 6:10 AM 

Actually, no, that made me laugh. So how do you like THOSE apples?

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

April 4 2012, 10:58 AM 

We're still mortal enemies though, right?

Respond to this message   

ED
(Login englishdude)

April 4 2012, 11:09 AM 

I'm going off the idea. I think I may start smothering you with unbearable quantities of brotherly love.

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

April 4 2012, 11:10 AM 

Can we be like step brothers?

Just like in the movie Step Brothers?

Respond to this message   

(Login Victoriabitter)
AAA

April 4 2012, 11:17 AM 

KISS! KISS! KISS!

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
EEE

April 4 2012, 11:32 AM 

Back to Caplock's original question:

What really IS the deal with Arizona?

If you didn't see this on Jon Stewart's show the other day - this is also totally crazy. The link to the piece is there - I've never had any luck embedding Comedy Central bits. But it's worth watching in its jaw dropping "It's bad enough that some of my fellow Americans really think this way, but that there are enough of them in Arizona to get things passed in any level of Government there!" kinda way.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2012/04/late-night-daily-show-on-tucsons-mexican-american-studies-ban.html

Here's the text of the article around the Daily Show clip in the above article:

Earlier this year, using a controversial bill signed into law by Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer in 2010, the Tucson school board voted to end its Mexican American studies program. Monday on "The Daily Show," correspondent Al Madrigal traveled to Tucson to hear from advocates on both sides on the issue.

Madrigal first met with Tucson school board member Michael Hicks, a staunch proponent of the ban, who claimed that the classes promoted "radical ideas," such as the reclamation of formerly Mexican territory "by bloodshed."

When Madrigal asked for evidence supporting Hicks' allegations, Hicks explained that he hadn't actually visited any classes. "Why even go? I based my thoughts on hearsay from others," he said, perhaps not grasping the negative connotations of the word "hearsay." He also suggested that teachers had brainwashed students by feeding them burritos.

Madrigal also met with former Mexican American studies teacher Curtis Acosta, who refuted Hicks' claims. "We dont teach them to hate white people. What were trying to do is teach a more complex version of what has happened in our past." Acosta also insisted that he was not some kind of anti-American radical. "I think this is a great country. In some countries I might actually be locked up for teaching the way I have. In this country, Im just banned from doing it," he said, seemingly in earnest.

As for the contention of bribery via burritos, Acosta simply said, "That's pretty offensive."

Though Tucson has banned Mexican American history classes, other ethnic studies courses remain. Hicks tried to explain the seeming inconsistency, saying that African American studies classes do not teach "the resentment of a race or class of people." But he floundered spectacularly when asked how he'd teach black students about slavery without provoking any resentment toward white people.

In the end, he settled on a misguided message of inspiration. "We now have a black man as a president. Rosa Clark did not take a gun and go onto a bus and hold up everybody," he said, presumably meaning "Rosa Parks."

Sounds like someone wasn't paying attention in history class.

---

Seriously. WTF Arizona?

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

April 4 2012, 11:41 AM 

Why are people surprised by this?

Arizona is where old people go to die. Old people are, for the most part, horrible people with outdated values.

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

April 4 2012, 1:33 PM 

They do call Sun City "God's Waiting Room".

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

April 4 2012, 1:43 PM 

I'm not so sure it's god who is waiting.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Arizona
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!