<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!  

long hair vs short

April 18 2012 at 10:37 AM

Bider Spite  (Login BiderSpite)
Team Specific

When I was living in Vegas I had to cut my hair short (stupid horrible story). Since then, nearly 5 years later it is long again. Long as in nearly to my bra strap. I love having long hair.

I never understood those who would say that long hair takes more maintenance. What? It's easy. You just pull it back.

Short hair takes WAY more maintenance what with the curling, pinning, styling...

What do you have/like?

Plus/bonus question: I'm graying, do you think I should dye? I can't really dye because it gives me hives so maybe the henna solution?

"Ta Friggin da"

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
AnonoBoBo
(no login)

Re: long hair vs short

April 18 2012, 10:49 AM 

My asshole hair is longer than the hair on my head. I like to keep it styled.

Respond to this message   
real_cardude
(no login)

April 18 2012, 10:49 AM 

Oh how you are mistaken. I have my head sheared to #1. I look the same as when I went to sleep the night before. No muss, no fuss nor products. My haircut is $7, 10 with tip!

Respond to this message   

ED
(Login englishdude)

April 18 2012, 10:50 AM 

My hair's pretty long and way out of control. I need to get a cut very soon.

Respond to this message   
'neady
(no login)

April 18 2012, 10:58 AM 

I like mine long because I can wear it in many styles and it makes me feel more fem. I love my hair and I think it's my best feature.
I've had all lengths from pixi cuts to bobs to layered long. The latter works best for me.
Unless it's super short like a pixi, I feel it is more high maintenance.
I feel henna will be a waste of time and money. If you want to be consistant with keeping the grey covered I would go full color. It's best to do it now before people notice the grey. That way they'll never notice you color.

Respond to this message   

Jude
(Login jude3606)

April 18 2012, 11:04 AM 

Hi Bider,

Question about the hair dying. Did you have an alergic reaction at a professional salon or with a do it at home kit? And please understand I am not bashing the do-it at home kit stuff, I am just wanting some clarification.

And to chime in on the length question, I think when it comes to your mane, whatever blows your skirt.

I have naturally curly hair, and I have to wash my hair everyday because I wake up looking like Buckwheat and a brillo pad had a baby. I have recently discovered that long hair drives me crazy against my neck. By the end of the day I am putting up, so what is the point of having long hair if it is not cascading down your back.

My hair is about as long as Molly Ringwald's, from the Breakfast Club and that is about what I can handle these days.

Footnote: I am attempting to grow my hair to about shoulder length for my wedding, but if I get annoyed the scissors and I have a date in the near future.

There are just some things one should not google, but I digress.

Respond to this message   

(Login Dr.Zhivago)
Team Specific

April 18 2012, 11:07 AM 

I never really did anything to my hair when it was long. Washed it every few days and ran my fingers through it a few times while it was wet. Done.

I get it buzzed to a #5 now and it's the same for maintenance, except I can't run my fingers through it.

Land sakes alive, the steak's alive.

Respond to this message   
Aurora
(no login)

April 18 2012, 11:12 AM 

Every few years I forget that I hate my hair short, and I cut it. I did that last July and I HATED it. Not short short, but too short. I haven't cut it since and it's at an overall length that I like, however it still has some layers that are shorter than I'd like, so another couple months till I cut anything.

I don't prefer longer or shorter on women, it's all what makes them feel good.

I'm starting to go grey. Every time I wash my hands and look up in the mirror there seems to be more. I've decided not to try to cover it and just own it.

Respond to this message   
Doc Z's Anon
(no login)

April 18 2012, 11:13 AM 

I can't picture you with long hair. I've only dated one dude that had it, about 100 years ago, and he had like 400 bootleg tapes (yes, tapes) of the Grateful Dead. I can't explain any of this, even now. I blame ganja.

Oh, yeah, the hair. I thought I liked it at first. Turns out, I hated it.

I wear mine long and wavy.

Respond to this message   

(Login Dr.Zhivago)
Team Specific

April 18 2012, 12:02 PM 

It was alright. It did whatever it wanted. I grew it out from a short buzz and never got it trimmed, so it was all the same length.

anotherlonghair

Land sakes alive, the steak's alive.

Respond to this message   
Doc Z's Anon
(no login)

April 18 2012, 12:09 PM 

Huh. It suited you. Very Eddie Vedder, and I mean that as a compliment. I like.

Respond to this message   
Louise
(no login)

April 18 2012, 11:15 AM 

I have wigs that go from pixie to shoulder length to mid-back, stick straight to curly.

I wear the short one(s) when I'm doing stuff where hair flying around would be a pain in the ass (I can't put wigs in a ponytail). I find that the super-long ones look nice but bother me http://www.wigs.md/pages/wigs_amore_brittany_2538.shtml), so I basically stick with a wavy shoulder-length one http://www.gobunnys.com/ecommerce/a-plus-ozone-synthetic-hair-lace-front-wig-004.html?SID=rnk1udja6j5al75vfaa5bsvvh7) most days. It's closest to my bio hair (aside from the colour - it's too dark) and it's what I feel the most comfortable with right now.

My second favourite is this bob that I have http://www.wigs.md/pages/wigs_amore_codi_2543.shtml) but I had been wearing it for about two years with no change and I got bored.

Respond to this message   
Squid Boy
(no login)

April 18 2012, 11:22 AM 

Short. #3

Prefer long on women.

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

April 18 2012, 12:10 PM 

I recently got mine cut a little too short. It's past my shoulders still, but I like it a little longer.

If you are interested in Henna, I've done strand tests on the Lush hennas and they worked REALLY well. You have to leave them on for a few hours, but they cover greys extremely well and they have different shades so you aren't stuck with fire engine red if that's not what you want.

http://www.lushusa.com/Henna-Hair-Dyes/henna-hair-dyes,en_US,sc.html

Thread with Q&A about Henna and lots of pics of results from the different ones

http://forum.lush.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=19438

Respond to this message   

Bider Spite
(Login BiderSpite)
Team Specific

April 18 2012, 12:31 PM 

I had my hair colored in a salon. Never tried the home hair dyes. I had to stop because the hive reaction kept getting worse. It's funny because I had gray hair but no one at work knew that. When I stopped dying and my gray became noticeable the people at work attributed it to work. I haven't suggested otherwise. wink.gif

Why not henna?

Otherwise, like Aurora, I'm owning it. But it makes people think I'm older than I am and that is a touchy subject.

"Ta Friggin da"

Respond to this message   
Aurora
(no login)

April 18 2012, 12:36 PM 

A couple of years ago I tried the Lush Henna. I really enjoyed the result from it. Made my hair feel thick and healthy and my hair was an awesome blue/black.

I didn't have as much grey then as I do now, I did it just for fun, which is good b/c it didn't stick to my grey anyway.

I think people have different results with using it to cover grey, I'd read through what Ginny posted and see if they post any tips or whatever.

The thing about henna, though, is that you can't dye it after until it grows out. I had wanted to get some blue streaks put in my hair a couple months later, but they weren't able to do it.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

April 18 2012, 12:46 PM 

Just my two cents: the more grey you have, here and there, the harder it is to cover even at the hairdresser. Especially at the temples. It's easier to dye it when there is just a bit and keep up with it than to let more and more of it grow out and have to cover a bit in your roots, a bit at the temple etc. I supposed the alternative is to let it all go gray, change your mind and then cover the whole head at once.

I find although it's great that some people own it, yay for them, it's not very attractive to see gray hairs, which are a completely different texture, here and there in the otherwise beautiful head of hair.

I do not intend to go completely gray until I am at least 80yo.

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
Team Everything

April 18 2012, 1:22 PM 

I have long hair. I really need a haircut. It's pretty wild child right now. Shaping would be a good idea. I think I will do side sweep bangs too. They look better with a ponytail.

Gray hair really ages people, IMO. I have a lot. But I lucked out and got my grandma's brand of gray hair which is silvery soft and sparkly. I kid you not... it SPARKLES. But I dye my hair on my own and keep up for the most part so I don't see it that much.

Respond to this message   

(Login jude3606)

April 18 2012, 2:22 PM 

I have grey popping along one side of my face... almost like a stripe. If it was in a cool spot like Rogue from XMen, I might consider keeping it, but alas it looks poopy so I opt to color.

Hell, I have been coloring my hair since I was 16 years old and I will do so until my SO turns a full head of grey.

I found a grey eyebrow the other day. That pissed me off.

Respond to this message   
jiggy
(no login)

April 18 2012, 2:30 PM 

I started going gray in my mid twenties. I considered coloring it once but knew that I'd never keep up with it so, gray it is.

Now I'm 40 and have started getting those eyebrows that want to grow to 3 inches.
YAY!

Respond to this message   

(Login jude3606)

April 18 2012, 2:33 PM 

Lmao! I feel for you, Jiggy. I have issues with my SO's brows, they do the same thing. He HATES for me to tweeze them. But I am midly obsessed especially when there is down lighting.

He can tell when I have pent up anxiety and lets me go to town. I can do about three, that's his threshold. Then I patiently wait, with tweezers in hand.

Respond to this message   
jiggy
(no login)

April 18 2012, 2:36 PM 

I got one of those old man groomer things that came with a brow trimmer attachement so I just mow them down every couple of weeks.

Respond to this message   

(Login jude3606)

April 18 2012, 2:42 PM 

Good idea Jiggy, I didn't know they made those.

Maybe I will wait to get one, the torture method is far more entertaining.

Respond to this message   
jiggy
(no login)

April 18 2012, 2:49 PM 

Mine is a Wahl. I think I got it at the drugstore.
It has the round attachement so you can transfer booger coated nose hair to your ear canals and a strait trimmer with the eyebrow guard.

Respond to this message   

(Login jude3606)

April 18 2012, 2:54 PM 

Interesting. The things I learn on this board is astounding. Thank you!

Have a cupcake.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

April 18 2012, 3:06 PM 

Jude, google no poo.. It's the best thing ive done for my curly hair. Washing curly hair everyday is terrible.

My hair was bra strap long with grey showing. I just had it cut to shoulder and colored and I feel so much better about it.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
Team Specific

April 18 2012, 3:16 PM 

I need an eyebrow trimmer. Stat.

I yank them currently. They get long enough to contact my glasses and then start to drive me crazy.

By "They" I mean I have about six that do. Which is just enough that I feel like I'm always yanking one.

Respond to this message   
jiggy
(no login)

April 18 2012, 3:19 PM 

Yep, that's what mine do too. Most of them are well behaved but a few just decided to go for broke.

Respond to this message   

Pee Jay
(Login orvis)
Team Everything

April 18 2012, 4:31 PM 

Squid, google Wahl trimmers.. It's the best thing ive done for my long old man eyebrows. Having long eyebrow hair everyday is terrible.

My eyebrow hair was bra strap long with grey showing. I just had it cut to with my Wahl trimmer on a #2 setting and I feel so much better about it.

Respond to this message   

Funk
(Login Funkenstien)
Team Specific

April 18 2012, 3:18 PM 

I've researched this subject this morning and discovered that my haircut has a name... Ivy League. It sort of looks like Anderson Cooper's, but only grey at the temples. I've thought about coloring it, but Jiggy made a good point... I'll never keep up with the regular maintenance of subterfuge.

For women to pull off short hair, it helps to have a face with fine and/or delicate features and a nice neck. If they don't have these, the cut tends to make them look butch.

Respond to this message   

(Login jude3606)

April 18 2012, 3:19 PM 

Appy, you are correct. Washing curly hair every day is bad for your hair. I just didn't want to go into a long diatribe about my daily hair habits, but I just can't brush and go and waa-laa I have gorgeous hair.

Actually a brush hasn't touched this head in years.

Respond to this message   

Bider Spite
(Login BiderSpite)
Team Specific

April 18 2012, 3:20 PM 

I'm not even 40 yet... sad.gif Good thing the world is ending before my next birthday.

Photobucket

It's not easy to take a picture of the top of your head. You try it.

Photobucket

I guess I am getting old when I don't care if I'm hip or trendy.

"Ta Friggin da"

Respond to this message   

(Login Victoriabitter)
Team Everything

April 18 2012, 3:36 PM 

I have hair that is a couple of inches below the shoulder length. I keep it in a pony tail most of the time, because I go to the gym and/or run outside quite a bit, and it's just easier to keep tidy. In its natural state it devolves into cork screw curls, which some seem to think is "cute", but I find looks very hippie-unkempt for a work environment, especially since when the curls appear, I can't brush it as then it turns into a mass of fuzz. I only wash it twice per week and if I'm wearing it down, it gets blow dryed straight and then hot-rollered to tame the curls.

And colouring? HELL YES. I do not like the greys. Nope. Not at all.

Respond to this message   

(Login rainyz)
Team Specific

April 18 2012, 4:16 PM 

Rainy keeps her hair length a little past her shoulders. I wear it in a ponytail and in barrettes.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

April 18 2012, 4:36 PM 

I think, if you have a cute, young face, grey hair may be stylish for a while. But, really, it just makes women look older than they are and who the hell wants that??

Respond to this message   

Louise
(Login jeez_louise)
Team Everything

April 18 2012, 4:41 PM 

I've been trying to decide when I'd start wearing the grey wigs... I mean, I look at the pictures and think "hey it doesn't look so bad"... and then I realize that the models are about 22 years old so OF COURSE it doesn't look so bad.

[linked image]

[linked image]

My mom still hasn't gone grey (aside from the same 5 grey hairs she's had since I was 5) so maybe I can put that off for awhile.

Respond to this message   
Arwen
(no login)

April 18 2012, 4:41 PM 

Exactly my point Louise. Hell most 20yos could be bald and still look good.

Respond to this message   

(Login jude3606)

April 18 2012, 4:43 PM 

I think that some women can rock the gray hair. I find as I get older, I am opting for lighter shades of lipstick along with lighter shades of hair.

Respond to this message   
Balti
(no login)

April 18 2012, 5:34 PM 

Mine's kinda long now, but I look better with shorter hair.

Bider, dye that! Just do a semi-permanent color. I'd recommend something with red in it.

Respond to this message   

Bider Spite
(Login BiderSpite)
Team Specific

April 18 2012, 5:43 PM 

Yeah, that is part of the problem. The salon dyes were giving me some severe hives. I must be allergic to something. That's why I was thinking about the henna stuff.

"Ta Friggin da"

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

April 18 2012, 6:39 PM 

Salon dyes don't give me hives, but they HURT LIKE A MOTHER. My scalp literally burns and peels off. It's a lot better if I don't wash my hair the day before.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - long hair vs short
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!