<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!  

Pet heart murmurs

April 21 2012 at 5:26 PM

(Login Cuppajo)
Team Specific

just took our little Solstice to the vet for neutering.
Vet found he has a heart murmur. Neutering is still a go but vet is going to alter the anesthetic slightly due to this.
It wasn't detected 5 months ago.

I've researched a little about kittens and murmurs and how many are benign and some cats 'outgrow' them ....but it still worries me. I swear we can't handle another (potential) kitty issue in the near future. sad.gif

Any petowners ever have a pet with a murmur? Did you alter food/exercise because of it?

Solstice plays hard. He's a wild man and zippy quick but starts to pant if he really gets going especially with the laser pointer.

Please think good thoughts from midnight to 4 am (yes late night sugeries) for our little maniac and that he's a happy little cone-head tomorrow when we get him

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

AnonoBoBo
(Login yayforsquirrels)
Team Everything

Re: Pet heart murmurs

April 21 2012, 7:24 PM 

Happy healthy kitty vibes headed your way, Jo.

"I don't really know, but I suspect the addition of nuts." - Squid

Respond to this message   

Lizzlee
(Login Lizzlee)
Team Specific

April 21 2012, 7:30 PM 

Vibes sent your way!

Respond to this message   

Louise
(Login jeez_louise)
Team Everything

April 21 2012, 7:42 PM 

Awww, sweet boy.

Sprocket (yes yes I know, he's a cat) had a heart murmur when he was little (it's why our vet suggested that we put off getting them neutered til they were full grown) but it's gone now and he never really had any trouble when he did have it.

All the best vibes are going to you and that cute little guy!

Respond to this message   
AnonoBoBo
(no login)

April 21 2012, 7:49 PM 

My little min pin has one. Her vet said we will just have to keep an eye on it ... Haven't done anything cause you can't keep this dog down..And she did just fine when I got her spayed. Can out of that like a champ so don't worry about it. All will be well..

Respond to this message   
jo
(no login)

April 21 2012, 8:13 PM 

ok, Louise and Anon are making me stress a little less. Thank you and thanks for the vibes.

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

April 21 2012, 8:47 PM 

Nibbler is a panter (heh. That sounds like panther) too if she plays too hard or gets stressed out, like in the carrier going to the vet. The vet didn't seem bothered by it and said it was probably just upper respitory congestion. She is a rather boogery kitty.

Respond to this message   

(Login JenBunny)
Team Everything

April 22 2012, 1:12 AM 

Oh Jo, I am sending the best vibes I can for your little man.

No heart murmur story for you but a friend of mine's kitty has an enlarged heart, terribly traumatic when it was discovered, he seems to have "grown into it" pretty ok. He does have to have a kitty aspirin every day :\ but other than that, all is good.

Respond to this message   
jo
(no login)

April 22 2012, 11:37 AM 

stress levels dropped, thank you.

Vet called at 7:30 to say Solstice was in great shape and did just fine, we're getting him at 1. Going to get some pain meds from the vet just incase. Never did this with our kittens before but I figure pain-free and groggy for a few days is better than ouchy and zippy.

If he's a conehead, pics to follow

Respond to this message   

jollyroger
(Login jollyroger317)
Team Everything

April 22 2012, 1:03 PM 

Use some of that hippy cream Lea was talking about on the other thread.

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

April 22 2012, 1:12 PM 

I know you were kidding, but a lot of stuff that is mildly toxic to humans are really really toxic to cats and dogs because our livers don't work the same way. So don't do that!

They give you about 5 times more of that pain killer stuff than you needs, but it's kind of a handy thing to have around the house.

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
Team Everything

April 22 2012, 1:12 PM 

Yay for pics!

Respond to this message   

jo
(Login Cuppajo)
Team Specific

April 22 2012, 3:19 PM 

no cone!

He keeps running in and out of the cat carrier like it's his tree fort. Groggy my ass. Here is the drugged out hippie

[linked image]

Med wise we were given 3 pre-filled syringes with Metacam (???).
'Banana flavoured' WTF?

Respond to this message   

jollyroger
(Login jollyroger317)
Team Everything

April 22 2012, 4:23 PM 

Project some psychedelic images on the walls.
See if the cat starts chasing imaginary white rabbits.

Do cats care if something is banana flavored? Why not tuna flavored?

Respond to this message   

(Login Cuppajo)
Team Specific

April 22 2012, 6:21 PM 

xactly!
No sense.

He eats almost everything though so it could just as well be lima bean coriander earthworm flavoured and he'd still scarf it down.

Twix is pissed he's returned happy.gif. She was all playful, happy and overly affectionate last night. 'YESSSSSSS! Rathead's gone' joy was replaced with death stare from the staircase.

ETA added a pic of the kitten's 'wrestlin buddy' (Mittens from the movie Balto). Soul mates, best buds and recently, occasional sex toy for Solstice.
Anyhoo...Mittens went to the vet's with Solstice as company. Vet dint mention any cage-sex going on so I imagine Sols kept his dirty stuffed toy affections in check

[linked image]

This message has been edited by Cuppajo on Apr 22, 2012 6:47 PM

Respond to this message   

(Login JenBunny)
Team Everything

April 23 2012, 7:26 AM 

He looks so grown up! Where did all the fluffy go?

So glad he's feeling better. Sorry you didn't get any respite from manic kittyness, I guess you can take the goolies off the boy but you can't take out the zippiness.

Respond to this message   

Funk
(Login Funkenstien)
Team Specific

April 23 2012, 1:35 PM 

I have a soft spot for black and white "tuxedo" cat. They tend to have amicable personalities.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Pet heart murmurs
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!