<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!  

Max Payne 3 and Chicken

May 22 2012 at 11:28 AM
CapsLock  (no login)

Max Payne 3 is hard as hell. The reticle for your weapon is basically just a dot, which is how it was in the first two, but for some reason it seems much more difficult in this one. Maybe because I'm not playing it on a PC and using a mouse? I don't know but I'm frustrated with the game.

I highly recommend the weber rotisserie attachment for the weber 22.5 inch charcoal grill. I did a chicken last night. Brined it for 2 hours and then rubbed it with a basic southwest rub. So good. Probably the best whole chicken I've ever done on a grill. Beats beer can chicken. I'm going to try a turkey next I think. Maybe I'll do a picture thread.

Anyway, slow day on the board. Going to get my hair cut. I'm going crew cut for the summer.

Later

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login TrulyScrumptious)
Team Specific

Re: Max Payne 3 and Chicken

May 22 2012, 11:48 AM 

What kind of brine did you do? I am a huge fan of the brine. We grilled steaks and ionions, and made steak sandwiches with blue cheese and the grilled onions. Sloppy, but so good. We marinated the steaks in Allegro for about 4 hours. Delish.

Respond to this message   
AnonoPajama
(no login)

May 22 2012, 11:54 AM 

I marinate chicken in the spicy Allegro to make chicken quesadillas. It is divine.

When I brine, I usually do a salt/sugar mixture, melt it w/ a little warm water, then fill up w/ cold, add chicken or turkey and let it sit overnight. I've done a quick one w/ frozen shrimp, too. Plumps them up nicely.

This makes killer fried chicken, BTW. Just dredge in flour and fry, covered, for 15-20mins, flip, cover, fry about 15 mins more then uncover and fry about 5 mins more. MmmMMM.

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
Team Everything

May 22 2012, 11:54 AM 

A pic thread would be nice. Include pics of your dog too happy.gif

Do you have a garden this year?

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

May 22 2012, 12:12 PM 

Back from the haircut. The dude didn't go short enough, but oh well. Still short.

I just use salt in my brine. Todd's toon on brining showed that adding spices and sugars to the brine doesn't really do that much because only the salty solution gets carried back into the cells of the meat through osmosis. I've tried using lemon and honey and things like that in brines and it doesn't really take. So I just do the salt brine for the juiciness and put the rub on for the flavor. (I just tried finding Todd's toon on brining and couldn't)

Arwen, no garden. I'm still working on keeping up with the yard. I'm starting to figure out I'm going to have to be a grass guy. Like weed and feed and all that shit. I didn't want to be a grass guy but you almost have to unless you want to cut the crab grass every 3 days. Maybe next year or the year after for the garden. I just started a little herb planter on the tiny back porch, though.

Respond to this message   
AnonoPajama
(no login)

May 22 2012, 12:13 PM 

You got a haircut in 14 minutes?

Please tell me you're not the violator or one of those anon "for the fun of it" snipers. That would be very disappointing.

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

May 22 2012, 12:16 PM 

Where do you get 14 minutes, Sherlock? And yes, the place is like 3/4 of a mile from my house. There were three barbers shooting the shit when I walked in because it's a Tuesday morning and no one is there.

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

May 22 2012, 12:16 PM 

You'll be that guy walking around his lawn in golf shoes!

I'm going to BBQ this weekend. I think salmon burgers for the boy and chicken burgers for me. Anyone have a good no meat/no mayo side? I was thinking about making beans... Kidney beans, ketchup, brown sugar, diced onion and diced red papper. Then you bake it (with bacon on top, but the boy doesn't eat bacon so I'll skip it).

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

May 22 2012, 12:19 PM 

They do that to aerate the lawn.

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

May 22 2012, 12:20 PM 

You've got them on right now, don't you.

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

May 22 2012, 12:25 PM 

More like this...

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

May 22 2012, 12:27 PM 

My yard is awful and I long for thick like carpet grass. I've got clover and dandelions.

Caps, did the rotisserie turn itself?

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

May 22 2012, 12:28 PM 

Yeah. It's got a little motor that mounted on the side.

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

May 22 2012, 12:31 PM 

Interesting. Maybe my next grill gadget.

I'm having a very small memorial day party. I'm just thinking burgers and dogs and catered fried chicken. Oh and this cake, I made it last year and it was a huge hit.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/flag-cake-recipe/index.html

Ginny he doesn't eat mayo either? You must really love this guy.

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

May 22 2012, 12:34 PM 

That cake looks great. I like the fresh fruit on it. Very nice.

Here's what the rotisserie looks like.(not my pic) The thing cost 140 bucks, though. Kinda pricey. But I'm a materialistic, meat eating, American, so WTF, right?

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

May 22 2012, 12:38 PM 

Wow! A man who likes a well turned chicken!

Was it a pain to put the chicken on and off?

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

May 22 2012, 12:40 PM 

Oh, and the cake is fantastic, the cream cheese icing with the fruit makes it!

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

May 22 2012, 12:41 PM 

Easy peasy. The spit forks have thumb screws and they slide easily on the spit. Putting the chicken on the spit took less than a minute. I got stupid taking it off and tried turning a thumb screw when it was still probably 300 degrees. But no permanent damage done.

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

May 22 2012, 12:43 PM 

Ouch!

If I ever cook anything in a fry pan in the oven, it's a guarantee I'll then touch the handle. So dumb.

Respond to this message   

PearlGurl
(Login pearlgurl)
Team Everything

May 22 2012, 12:46 PM 

Caps, I can testify to the awesomeness that is the Pit Mitt. It's rated up to 475 F and has good grip and dexterity.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
Team Specific

May 22 2012, 12:49 PM 

Me too Appy. I cannot tell you how many panhandle shaped burns I've had on my right palm. Amazing there's not a permanent scar there.

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
Team Everything

May 22 2012, 12:48 PM 

Ginny! I made Pioneer Woman's creamy rosemary potatoes on Sunday night and they were To Die 4! No meat and no mayo and easy peasy. Plus you'll have some to share.

Ingredients
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
1 cup half-and-half
1 cup heavy cream
5 or 6 medium russet potatoes, sliced thin
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely diced
One 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons minced rosemary leaves
3 green onions, light green and medium green parts, thinly sliced
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons minced chives
Cooking Directions

Preheat the oven to 350F. Rub the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with softened butter. Combine the half-and-half and the cream in a large measuring cup.

Using a mandolin or a very sharp knife, slice the potatoes very thinly. They'll cook better that way. Place the potatoes in a large bowl. Drizzle with half of the half-and-half/cream mixture and set aside.

In a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the garlic and onion and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes.

Cut the bar of cream cheese in half and add the halves to the skillet, stirring constantly. Continue stirring until the mixture is smooth and combined, about 3 minutes.

Pour in the remaining half-and-half/cream mixture and stir to combine.

Add salt and pepper and stir. Taste and adjust the seasonings as necessary. Do not under salt! Add the rosemary and green onions and stir to combine.

Finally, add cup of the grated parmesan and stir to combine.

Pour the cream-soaked potatoes into the baking dish. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the top and spread it evenly over the potatoes. Scrape out the skillet to get every last drop.

Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup grated parmesan generously over the top and bake the potatoes for at least 1 hour, or until golden brown and bubbly.

Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the chives, then cut into squares to serve.

ETA: Mine were plenty done at the 55 minute mark.

This message has been edited by AnnyBoo on May 22, 2012 12:53 PM

Respond to this message   
AnonoPajama
(no login)

May 22 2012, 12:59 PM 

Also - vinegar based cole slaw is pretty good. Asian style is even better.

Respond to this message   

(Login pearlgurl)
Team Everything

May 22 2012, 1:05 PM 

I like making potato salad with homemade peanut sauce. Really, anything made with peanut sauce.

Respond to this message   

Funk
(Login Funkenstien)
Team Specific

May 22 2012, 1:10 PM 

I don't see how people can play a traditional shooter without a mouse. Has anyone here ever used one of the modern light guns with video games? They look like fun.

Caps, for how long did you cook the chicken and on how hot of a fire?

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
Team Everything

May 22 2012, 1:13 PM 

I wanted so bad to be a fan of brining. I did it once with the Thanksgiving turkey. What a PITA! And I really didn't notice any difference.

I must have done it wrong.

I should try again with something smaller and more manageable. Like a chicken. What is the salt to water proportion, Caps? Special kind of salt? warm water first to dissolve salt then ice water?

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

May 22 2012, 1:17 PM 

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

May 22 2012, 1:31 PM 

I am definitely making that potato salad - Thanks Appy.

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

May 22 2012, 1:33 PM 

No problem. It's really good, I always get rave reviews. I once made the mistake of using baby gold potatoes and it wasnt great. Use the potatoes she calls for. Good luck

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

May 22 2012, 1:38 PM 

Oh thanks. I was thinking about using fingerling potatoes but I'll use the little white ones instead.

Respond to this message   

Funk
(Login Funkenstien)
Team Specific

May 22 2012, 1:19 PM 

Anny, I also feel that brining is kinda PITA. Therefore, I use an injector. It puts both fluid and flavor into the meat.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
Team Everything

May 22 2012, 1:21 PM 

HEY! I used to do that all the time, Funk. My son has hemophilia and there were always syringes available. I would make my own brew and shoot up the meat. heh.

Is it really the same then?

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

Brined turkey is the juiciest and has the most flavor. PITA though.

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

Glad you asked, Funk. I bought two of those weber briquette holders with the rotisserie. I had thought about getting them before but decided they were a waste, since I can pour the charcoal out of the chimney starter with enough precision to get the coals where I want them. But, since I was dropping 140 on the rotisserie, I figured WTF, and bought the $15 briquette holders too.

I almost filled the chimney starter with kingsford. The holders didn't hold it all. Lesson 1, the briquette holders won't hold a full chimney starter. I choked the top vent down to about 3/4 open. 20 minutes later the fire was still hot as hell. Lesson 2, the briquette holders burn hot as hell, I think it's because the coals are so perfectly stacked and ventilated.

So I roasted the bird for 1 1/4 hours. Checked the temp. 185 in the thigh and 190 in the breast. Too hot, right? Wrong! Still so moist and flavorful. I credit the rotisserie style cooking for that. And the bringing didn't hurt.

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

May 22 2012, 1:25 PM 

Anny, I wing it.

I used about 3/4 cup of kosher and about 3 quarts of water. I pour in hot tap for about a quart. Whisk to dissolve the salt. and then fill with cold water.

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
Team Everything

May 22 2012, 1:26 PM 

Thanks Cap. I am going to try it. Maybe for the long weekend ahead!

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

May 22 2012, 1:26 PM 

I just checked the graduations on the pot I used. It was more like 5 quarts of water.

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
Team Everything

May 22 2012, 1:29 PM 

Noted. Thanks!

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Max Payne 3 and Chicken
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!