<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!  

Poker night

May 23 2012 at 1:49 PM

CapsLock  (Login HOLDSDOWNSHIFTKEY)
Team Everything

I'm hosting poker night, friday. First time.

I'm gonna hook it up. I'm going to put a brisket on the smoker and a turkey on the rotisserie. I'm not sure what I'll do for sides. I was thinking slaw and baked beans because it's easy. But the fact is, I'm not crazy about baked beans. Like when I was a kid and learned Boston was called "Beantown" for baked beans, I was saddened.

Anyway...should be fun.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login SquiddyBoy)
Team Specific

Re: Poker night

May 23 2012, 1:51 PM 

POKER? I hardly even talked to her!

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
Team Everything

May 23 2012, 1:52 PM 

You should make that creamy rosemary potato recipe I posted for Ginny. You can prepare it ahead of time and then it just takes an hour in the oven. It would go wonderfully with turkey and brisket. It is easy and feeds lots of people.

I suck at poker but that sounds awesome.

This message has been edited by AnnyBoo on May 23, 2012 1:53 PM

Respond to this message   

CapsLock
(Login HOLDSDOWNSHIFTKEY)
Team Everything

May 23 2012, 1:54 PM 

I'm only good at poker cause my buddies all get stoned as a rat. And I don't smoke.

This message has been edited by HOLDSDOWNSHIFTKEY on May 23, 2012 1:54 PM

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
Team Specific

May 23 2012, 1:58 PM 

I was ok at older versions of Poker - but the whole hold 'em fad has kinda lost me. I don't want to think that hard when I'm not at work.

Respond to this message   

CapsLock
Team Everything

May 23 2012, 2:01 PM 

Hold 'em is what we play. It's amateurish, but it's a game everyone knows, so... I think it's easy. It's more about trying to tell if the other guy is lying or not.

We also get side games of cribbage going once people start losing. Which seems very sophisticated compared to Hold 'em.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
Team Specific

May 23 2012, 2:04 PM 

Lord I love Crib.

I need to play more. The Mermaid and I used to keep weekly, monthly and annual tallies. I must admit that while it was very close, she won all the long term tallies. She is great at cards and scrabble. I think she subconciously counts cards.

I also need a local friend with a solid female 4th so we can play Euchre. I LOVE that game.

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

May 23 2012, 2:11 PM 

I love cribbage too. I haven't played in forever.

That beans recipe I posted a few days ago is really good, but I don't exactly have a recipe - Can of Kidney beans, like a half a cup of ketchup, maybe a quarter cup of packed brown sugar, a finely diced small onion, and a finely diced red (or green) bell pepper. Then you put in a casserole and lay bacon over the top and bake it for like 45 minutes. It's crazy good. We call it Pauline's Beans, because the recipe came from Pauline... I don't know what the real name is.

Respond to this message   

CapsLock
Team Everything

May 23 2012, 2:14 PM 

That sounds a lot like baked beans.

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

May 23 2012, 2:15 PM 

Not really. There's not that meany beans in a can of kidney beans.

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

May 23 2012, 2:21 PM 

Oh, and you probably knew this, but you have to rinse all the gunk off the beans before you add the other stuff.

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

May 23 2012, 2:07 PM 

Make ATK Antipasta pasta salad

Respond to this message   
Aurora
(no login)

May 23 2012, 2:16 PM 

How unfortunate about Beantown.

I would have assumed coffee beans, cause you know, you threw all the tea in the harbour, what else are you going to drink?

Respond to this message   
AnonoPajama
(no login)

May 23 2012, 2:17 PM 

Try ranch beans. They come in a black can in these parts and are savory instead of sweet. I add some vinegar based BBQ sauce to them before I heat them up and they're always a hit.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login pearlgurl)
Team Everything

May 23 2012, 2:17 PM 

I would go with a black bean, tomato and corn salad.

Respond to this message   

Funk
(Login Funkenstien)
Team Specific

May 23 2012, 5:14 PM 

You don't need anything fancy, but you do need a starch. Make macaroni. Throw some extra sharp cheddar, velveeta and/or sour cream in there. I make it regularly when I make those brisket or turkey and it go's great.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Poker night
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!