<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!  

Virginia Beach

July 11 2012 at 3:50 PM

Arwen  (Login jeannien)
AAA

Has anyone vacationed there? What's it like? What's it like there in the fall?

Squid, did you travel there when you were based in Washington DC?

My friend's ultimate dream is to be a personal trainer on a beach - who am I to judge? Her first choice was somewhere in California. I told her California was very expensive to live in and she needed to think harder. Would you say that's pretty accurate or was I being too hard on the state? Her next choice was Hawaii. Ditto. So she asked me what I thought about Virginia Beach. I thought that by Canadian standards people might not mind working out on the beach in November but that Americans might find it insanely cold. I do remember my ex and I being the only people in the water in Georgia in the early spring and laughing at people at Yosemite dressed in heavy winter coats in May, so I understand that it's all about perspective. Plus, I have no idea whether the area is Atlantic City gross with the pawn shops and deserted parking lots just outside frame...

Thoughts?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

coolbreeze
(Login cool.breeze)
EEE

Re: Virginia Beach

July 11 2012, 3:56 PM 

I was there about twenty years ago, so my info may not be accurate anymore. The two things I remember were that the beaches were very clean and that it was next to impossible to find a place that served alcohol. I'm pretty sure we had to go to another town to get a drink.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I am a hero. - Hep C

Respond to this message   

Anny
(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

July 11 2012, 3:57 PM 

Not all California is the same by any stretch. It also depends on what you mean by "live". Like if by living, property ownership is your ultimate, then a lot of California is very expensive.

Any place is affordable if you can adjust your expectations for living.

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

July 11 2012, 3:59 PM 

My estimate is that the cost of living would be greater than it would be where we are now for the same quality of surroundings, whether owned or rented.

Respond to this message   

Anny
(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

July 11 2012, 4:02 PM 

Well, I don't know about where you live but I can compare it to Phoenix. And I would say a moderate place rent/own in Phoenix is very comparable to a moderate place INLAND in San Diego. Property taxes are higher in SD, gas, and food too. But the amount of free activities is huge here compared to Phoenix. Utilities are also cheaper in SD. In Phoenix, you either have the heat on or the air on. You can go many months without either in SD.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
EEE

July 11 2012, 4:03 PM 

I've never really been there. Which is to say that I've been to Sandbridge right near there, but never there. Sandbridge was beautiful.

I have always heard it's a little bit Honky Tonk - but that it's also lots of fun. Like Myrtle. I've heard it's kinda crowded.

I don't know - lots of people I know love it, some hate it. I've heard it's a bit segregated.

I don't think I've been very helpful and everything I'm saying is second hand.

Respond to this message   

Anny
(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

July 11 2012, 4:06 PM 

Check this out, Arwen! I don't know how accurate it is, but it is pretty cool. I put in San Diego vs Virginia Beach but you can put in your city and wherever else!

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=57000&city1=50666000&city2=55182000

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

July 11 2012, 4:12 PM 

That's great! Thanks Anny. Wish they would include Canadian cities.

Respond to this message   

Anny
(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

July 11 2012, 4:13 PM 

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

July 11 2012, 4:15 PM 

I'll have to think about that.

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

July 11 2012, 4:17 PM 

Click the link! It thinks for you!

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

July 11 2012, 4:18 PM 

You are awesome!!!

Respond to this message   

Ginny
(Login Ginnyesq)
AAA

July 11 2012, 4:32 PM 

Yeah, the more populated coastal areas of California are pretty expensive.  Not hawaii expensive... And there are lots of places to live here that 10-20 miles away from the beach that are not that expensive, and if you want to go 30 miles away or so, they are very affordable. (I'm thinking Inland Empire, for example... Riverside, San Bernardino, etc.)  Downside is you need a car, upside is as long as you aren't working the standard commute hours the drive isn't bad. For example, Ruby has a job where she works nights and weekends a lot, and she lives in Riverside and commutes to Anaheim (which is still about 8 miles away from the beach).  I would say most places where you want to offer personal training services that are very affordable, you aren't going to have a lot of folks knocking your door down for personal training. Also, I don't know too much about the weather in VA Beach but that's probably something you should consider if you are planning on working outdoors, and getting other people to pay for it.  California definitely has the weather for it.

If she thinks she is getting a beach house in Cali, I would say forget it. But she can probably get something easy walking distance to the beach.  It's not going to be a mansion though.

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

July 11 2012, 4:35 PM 

Thanks Ginny

What do you mean by " I would say most places where you want to offer personal training services that are very affordable, you aren't going to have a lot of folks knocking your door down for personal training."

Respond to this message   

Anny
(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

July 11 2012, 4:35 PM 

OOO Ginny! Very good call on the weather impact.

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

July 11 2012, 4:38 PM 

I did mention weather in my initial question happy.gif

ETA
The outdoor boot camp I was a part of works out outside all year. I think they're cutoffs are lightning and -40F

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

July 11 2012, 4:42 PM 

You can't possibly expect me to remember every little detail in your OP that occurred 52 minutes ago, now can you?

wink.gif

Respond to this message   

Ginny
(Login Ginnyesq)
AAA

July 11 2012, 4:50 PM 

I just meant that for a lot of people, a personal trainer is a luxury.  I would think there would be a lot more people looking for luxury services when you live in an area where you need money to live there.  I can't tell you what kind of people live in VA Beach, I've never been there. I can tell you that it sounds like something people in coastal CA would pay for.

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

July 11 2012, 4:52 PM 

Yes. Thanks.

Respond to this message   

Ginny
(Login Ginnyesq)
AAA

July 11 2012, 5:02 PM 

And by weather, I was thinking more along the lines of hurricanes. But I don't think they happen often enough to make a serious impact. All we have is the occasional ground rumble. happy.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login DJ.)
AAA

July 11 2012, 5:13 PM 

Plus you can't swing a dead seal around here without hitting a personal trainer.

Respond to this message   

Ginny
(Login Ginnyesq)
AAA

July 11 2012, 5:19 PM 

Yeah, I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.  They are making a living, I guess, or there wouldn't be so many.

Respond to this message   

(Login DJ.)
AAA

July 11 2012, 5:29 PM 

My house/cat sitter couldn't pay the bills being a trainer so she's now a nanny.

Respond to this message   

Ginny
(Login Ginnyesq)
AAA

July 11 2012, 5:39 PM 

Yeah.  It seems like a side job more than a full time gig.

Respond to this message   

(Login CanadianRaven)
AAA

July 11 2012, 6:05 PM 

Vancouver has one of the highest costs of living in North America, would you warn her not to move here?

Well you should, cause it rains 9 months a year.

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

July 11 2012, 6:17 PM 

She wants better weather than Ottawa, not worse happy.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login CanadianRaven)
AAA

July 11 2012, 6:20 PM 

Enjoy your -40!

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

July 11 2012, 6:23 PM 

I prefer the occasional -40 to rain 60% of the year

Respond to this message   

(Login CanadianRaven)
AAA

July 11 2012, 6:24 PM 

lol @ occasional

you and I will never work as a couple.

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

July 11 2012, 6:26 PM 

I tried to resolve this argument by using my handy link and comparing your cities but apparently it doesn't know there is a Vancouver in Canada.

Respond to this message   

(Login CanadianRaven)
AAA

July 11 2012, 6:27 PM 

The vancouver it lists is the Canadian one.

Groceries are more expensive here than in Honolulu which totally surprised me.

Respond to this message   

Anny
(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

July 11 2012, 9:04 PM 

Rory? It says "Vancouver, WA" - as in Washington state. Am I being blonde?

Respond to this message   

(Login CanadianRaven)
AAA

July 11 2012, 9:12 PM 

I used the second one you posted, at 4:13.

When it opens it is set to compare a canadian city to a us one.

Maybe it's picking up on my ip address?

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Virginia Beach
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!