<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!  

The Freeh Report and JoePa - he knew as early as 1998

July 12 2012 at 12:55 PM

(Login SquiddyBoy)
Devils

So in the media over the past few days, Joe Paterno's surving family members have been making a lot of statements about how innocent JoePa was.

An in-depth report released today authored by former FBI director Louis Freeh pretty clearly indicates otherwise.

The family said: "Joe Paterno did not cover up for Jerry Sandusky. Joe Paterno did not know that Jerry Sandusky was a pedophile. Joe Paterno did not act in any way to prevent a proper investigation of Jerry Sandusky. To claim otherwise is a distortion of the truth."

Copied from the Superficial, because he says it all pretty well:

****BEGIN B&C*****

So guess what the Freeh report found out? Joe Paterno knew about Jerry Sandusky molesting a child in 1998, three years before the Mike McQueary incident. Which makes that the SECOND known case of Joe Paterno finding out about child rape and looking the other way to protect Penn State.

What People Not Blinded By Hero Worship Could've Already Told You:
"Taking into account the available witness statements and evidence, it is more reasonable to conclude that, in order to avoid the consequences of bad publicity, the most powerful leaders at Penn State University Messrs. Spanier, Schultz, Paterno and Curley repeatedly concealed critical facts relating to Sandusky's child abuse from the authorities, the Board of Trustees, Penn State community, and the public at large. Although concern to treat the child abuser humanely was expressly stated, no such sentiments were ever expressed by them for Sandusky's victims."

Joe Paterno Didn't Want To Interrupt People's Weekend By Reporting Child Rape:
"We also know that he delayed reporting Sandusky's sexual conduct because Mr. Paterno did not "want to interfere" with people's weekend. To his credit, Mr. Paterno stated on November 9, 2011, 'With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.'"

And The Nail In The Coffin...
"The evidence shows that these four men also knew about a 1998 criminal investigation of Sandusky relating to suspected sexual misconduct with a young boy ina Penn State football locker room shower. Again, they showed no concern about that victim. The evidence shows that Mr. Paterno was made aware of the 1998 investigation of Sandusky, followed it closely, but failed to take any action, even though Sandusky had been a key member of his coaching staff for almost 30 years, and had an office juststeps away from Mr. Paterno's. At the very least, Mr. Paterno could have alerted the entire football staff, in order to prevent Sandusky from bringing another child into the Lasch Building."

****END B&C****

I said it in an earlier thread - I don't care if you're my best friend on Earth - I find out you're raping children I'm going to do something about it.

This message has been edited by SquiddyBoy on Jul 12, 2012 12:55 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ginny
(no login)

Re: The Freeh Report and JoePa - he knew as early as 1998

July 12 2012, 1:01 PM 

I don't understand what is wrong with people.

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
Angels

July 12 2012, 1:30 PM 

It's tough for me to even hear about this/read about it. It is just mind blowingly disgusting. What a very sick man. What kind of mental olympics did these others who covered up for him do to justify that to themselves.

I can't think of a suitable punishment.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

July 12 2012, 1:57 PM 

How about death, since he is dead.

This is no shock to any thinking person. PSU Alumini are impossible though, I even heard one person say maybe he didn't know what it meant to molest a boy.

I say look at the bright side, PSU is still better than the catholic church!

Respond to this message   
Kohsblocks
(no login)

July 12 2012, 2:03 PM 

It seems people were scared to lose their jobs too, and that's disgusting as an excuse. Poor young boys had to suffer horribly, because grown men didn't do the right thing at right time, and REPORT that sick fucker.

They all should be in jail.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
Devils

July 12 2012, 2:22 PM 

I think death and the destruction of your legacy does it pretty well.

Everything the guy worked for nearly 46 years was basically trashed by this.

Hard to respect a guy for his accomplishments playing a game when he's looking the other way repeatedly at boys being ass-raped in his locker room.

The rest of them? How about civil lawsuits in the millions of dollars against the individuals and Penn State for compensation for looking the other way as they were violated by all of these trusted adults?

I'd maybe help my best friend bury a body. But cover up them raping a child? NO WAY.

Respond to this message   

Anny
(Login AnnyBoo)
Angels

July 12 2012, 2:25 PM 

That's what I meant - the rest of them.

I thought someone might offer up the "do unto others" path.

Respond to this message   

(Login DJ.)
Angels

July 12 2012, 3:17 PM 

I wonder if college football will finally be exposed for all the other shit they get away with because of this.

Respond to this message   

(Login lovebird8)
Angels

July 12 2012, 3:33 PM 

No kidding, Deej. I was wondering this morning how the student population of Penn State will be affected this coming fall. Why would anyone want to go there now?

Respond to this message   

(Login Appalled)
Angels

July 12 2012, 3:34 PM 

There are many who think PSU might lose their football program.

Respond to this message   
'neady
(no login)

July 12 2012, 4:56 PM 

My cousins went to PSU and come hell or highwater they will defend JoePa till THEIR death. One of whom has two young boys of her own.
I make sure I give that bitch the side eye at Thanksgiving and Easter dinner.

Respond to this message   

Squid Boy
(Login SquiddyBoy)
Devils

July 12 2012, 5:17 PM 

I didn't think what Appy is saying above was possible - but indeed! The chorus is singing loudly to shut the football at PSU down!

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/07/12/penn-state-should-shut-down-program/O6U5mLADVma5EAZSQAUA5K/story.html

Snip:

...Shut it down. No more football at Penn State. Not for a while, anyway. And please dont wait to be sanctioned by the NCAA, which moves at a glacial pace.

Now there can be no doubt. The sycophants, enablers, and excuse-makers can go away and stay away. The Penn State Board of Trustees can finally do the right thing and kill the schools football program. Effective immediately. Football can come back to State College, Pa., someday. Not now.

This is not a hard decision anymore. Nor is it radical. Its the decent thing to do, after a decade and a half of institutional indecency.

Please. No weeping for the players and coaches who are at Penn State now. We know they did nothing wrong. But they can transfer. Coaches can get jobs at other schools.

Football simply cannot go on after what we heard Thursday from former FBI director Louis Freeh...

Respond to this message   

(Login CanadianRaven)
Angels

July 12 2012, 6:14 PM 

I didn't follow this story at all... but since I clicked this link now... I"m confused. Why were there kids at Penn State? Was it like a highschool using the University grounds?

Respond to this message   

(Login DJ.)
Angels

July 12 2012, 6:17 PM 

Sandusky had rights to use the campus anywhere and anyway he wanted. He brought kids there from his youth program.

Respond to this message   

(Login CanadianRaven)
Angels

July 12 2012, 6:18 PM 

thanks for the info!

Respond to this message   

(Login Smirkdirk)
Devils

July 12 2012, 6:17 PM 

Regarding what Neady said - I don't understand that amount of loyalty to anything, especially something like a school. Is that what they mean by school spirit? What the fuck, right? I really don't get that sort of devotion to something that's kinda intangible in a way. Yeah, sure its a physical place, but this attachment is towards what it represents in the persons mind. Its such a symbol of who they are that no one from there can do no wrong? Fuckin' weird.

Respond to this message   
Kathleen
(no login)

July 12 2012, 6:30 PM 

I have a FB "friend" who was so "WE ARE....PENN STATE!", I wanted to punch her in the face. Finally, this week, she has gone so far as to say she is disappointed.....IF the allegations are true. (about Joe Paterno) I don't undertsand the loyalty in any way. Does attending a school with a good football team and a lot of school spirit really make your life that much better, that you'd defend it in the face of such evidence? I don't get it. It was COLLEGE. You're IN YOUR FORTIES. YOU NEVER PLAYED FOOTBALL.

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

July 12 2012, 6:52 PM 

And not to mention - I mean, do these people not see how this is part of the problem? If you are so loyal to the school you went to that you think someone raping children not being reported and allowed to continue doing it is ok, I'm sorry but you've got issues.

Respond to this message   
Kathleen
(no login)

July 12 2012, 6:59 PM 

I think most of those blindly loyal people probably took what Joe Paterno said (lies) as absolute truth and refused to believe he could have been lying. "Aw, look! He said he wished he'd done more! He's still such a great guy and my hero!" Ew. I could puke. That's called self-serving back-pedalling. Who can't see that??

Respond to this message   

(Login DJ.)
Angels

July 12 2012, 7:10 PM 

From a psychological standpoint the super loyalists feel part of a tight and special community, like a sorority or fraternity and they will defend almost to the death, or not want to believe anything negative happens with their "family". I went to a largely commuter university so we didn't have that same feeling but the smaller or long established schools are practically a cult.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
Devils

July 12 2012, 10:22 PM 

I read an article that said that PSU is in violation of the Clery Act*, and that the Dept of Education could revoke their right to Federal Funding (student loans and other financial support). They would lose their accredidation and the entire school would go away.

This could actually kill the school! Holy shit!

That said, I don't think it will. The DOE is said to be 'reviewing' the case. I can't imagine a violation of any law first discovered would result in an institutional death penalty. Sanctions yes, death no.

*The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act) is a federal mandate requiring all institutions of higher education (IHEs) that participate in the federal student financial aid program to disclose information about crime on their campuses and in the surrounding communities. The Clery Act affects virtually all public and private IHEs and is enforced by the U.S. Department of Education (ED). Campuses that fail to comply with the act can be penalized with large fines and may be suspended from participating in the federal financial aid program.

The Clery Act, formerly known as the Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act, was signed in 1990 and is named after 19-year-old Jeanne Clery who was raped and murdered in her Lehigh University residence hall in 1986. The Clery Act was amended in 2008, and the Security On Campus Web site includes a summary of those amendments.

Respond to this message   

AnonoPajama
(Login SquiddyBoy)
Devils

July 13 2012, 9:03 AM 

Nike pulled Joe Paterno's name off their Day Care Center at their Portland, Oregon HQ. It used to look like this:

[linked image]

Nike President Mark Parker said in a statement, With the findings released today, I have decided to change the name of our child care center at our World Headquarters. Nike founder Phil Knight added, It appears Joe made missteps that led to heartbreaking consequences.

Also from Philly.com - PSU CENSORED coverage of the Freeh report relase!

The handful of students and alumni that gathered in Penn States student center this morning to watch the release of the Freeh report live were stunned when the channel suddenly switched. While most of campus was still sleepy, the small group was viewing CNN on a large screen, or one of several smaller screens nearby, in anticipation of the 9 a.m. release of the report on the sex abuse scandal that has gripped the school.

Most were hoping that the report, part of a seven-month probe by former FBI Director Louis Freeh, would exonerate legendary football coach Joe Paterno.
But, just as an anchor was ready to speak about the report, the television screens suddenly went blank. They then turned to a public access channel featuring a reporter from The Morning Call newspaper in Allentown about the state budget.

WOW! It's getting harder and harder to sympathize with the authorities at PSU.

Thanks to the www.thesuperficial.com for lettting me know about these two things.

Respond to this message   

(Login Appalled)
Angels

July 13 2012, 9:27 AM 

Im not suprised by either of those stories.

Hard to believe that such a remarkable career will be remembered for this.... It's a shame.

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
Angels

July 13 2012, 10:08 AM 

It's not a shame. The guy was beyond scum and he let a member of his staff rape kids when he could have saved them. That's what he should be remembered for. Who cares that he was good at coaching football??

Respond to this message   

Pee Jay
(Login orvis)
Angels

July 13 2012, 10:20 AM 

Hero worship has always confused me.

Is it ok to hold up/honor people because you respect their accomplishments? Sure. Because you agree with their beliefs, OK.

But this need for people to grasp on to these individuals and provide them with blind loyalty is part of the problem here. Its not just Paterno, we did this with our clergy, we do it with politicians. What is this need within us to so eagerly offer power and influence over us? Why do so many of us WANT people to hold this power over us? Then when we so gladly heap this power onto them, why are we surprised when its abused.

i mean there's a freakin' cliche for this!!!! We need to stop making people more important than ourselves and each other. WHO CARES if he was a good coach??!?! Why is that important?!? The only thing he should be judged for is what he did when he had the chance to do right. That's all that any of us would be given the chance at.

His son needs to shut up, respect the victims and let it sink in what this really meant. It meant that a group of intelligent, otherwise moral individuals, decided power, legacy and money were more important than protecting children. The sad part is it likely happens every day.

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
Angels

July 13 2012, 10:22 AM 

"The only thing he should be judged for is what he did when he had the chance to do right."

Perfect!

Respond to this message   

Appalled
(Login Appalled)
Angels

July 13 2012, 10:41 AM 

Well, he did more than coach well, he was a role model and a pillar of strength and inspiration to generations. And yes it is a shame, the whole thing is a shameful. His life's work is disregarded for some really bad decisions. That doesn't make his decisions less reprehensible, but it is kind of sad. Plus many did have hero worship for him, sad for those who lost their hero. You'd have to be inhuman not to see that.

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
Angels

July 13 2012, 10:44 AM 

He was a role model and a pillar of strength and inspiration to generations and let kids get raped and didn't do the right thing when he had a chance. What kind of a role model is that??? His life's work is meaningless in the light of this. You would have to be inhuman not to see that.

Respond to this message   

(Login Appalled)
Angels

July 13 2012, 10:52 AM 

Yes, he made a bad decision, to protect PSU before little kids. Awful, unforgivable, hard to understand and shameful... Yet still sad. Must be so wonderful to have never made a bad decision and feel no empathy.

Thought you weren't talking to me?

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
Angels

July 13 2012, 10:56 AM 

LOL! I am very capable of feeling empathy for people who have made bad decisions. I do not understand why people feel sorry for the loss of a legacy that was a lie.

If your childhood hero turned out to be a serial killer, would you still tell people at dinner parties that he was your hero "...except for that whole murdering people thing."

People did not know the whole life this man was living and maybe he has some fancy coaching or motivational stuff people can learn from but he was not a great man by any stretch of the word.

Respond to this message   

(Login Appalled)
Angels

July 13 2012, 11:11 AM 

I can't believe I find myself defending JoPa, and im not... But, I guess here it is...

His public persona was one of upstanding,rule following, exemplary coach. To see a lifes work cast aside in in such a terrible way is sad. I'm not saying its wrong, maybe his legacy is a lie, the real you is how you act when no one is looking and all that, but it is still a shame. Just like it would be a shame to see a beautiful building destroyed after you heard terrible things happened inside. Its sad for what was, or what was percived to be anyway. I feel badly for his wife and children too.

And as despicable as protecting a child molester is, he didn't actually molest the kids or KILL any kids. You went a bit over board there...

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
Angels

July 13 2012, 11:18 AM 

And you went a bit overboard comparing him to a beautiful building, so I guess we're even

Respond to this message   

(Login Appalled)
Angels

July 13 2012, 11:28 AM 

No, I didn't I made an example that would illustrate my point, which appears to have worked. I was spot on.

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
Angels

July 13 2012, 11:34 AM 

Well, whatever it was as long as you made a point you're happy with, I guess that's all that counts.

Respond to this message   

(Login Kkathleen)
Angels

July 13 2012, 12:08 PM 

His entire legacy was definitely a lie. Rule following? Absolutely not. That's the image he portrayed but it would appear he lied, broke rules, and RUINED LIVES to save his job and his image.

I would feel bad for his family if they didn't keep insisting he didn't know anything and demand to see the results of the investigation before the public in order to come up with some sort of explanation to keep his image intact as well.

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
Angels

July 13 2012, 12:12 PM 

I understand what Appy is saying completely.

Tom Osborne was the head coach at University of Nebraska-Lincoln for a quarter of a century. He was not only an amazing coach that led our team to 3 national titles, but he consistently displayed sound moral character, good sportsmanship, and did amazing things in the community. Yes, he was idolized and looked up to as a hero - he still is - but it is even more than that. He gives people something to really believe in and to model - kids and adults alike.

I also knew him (in the 80s) personally. I would find it a stretch to name one person I admire more.

If Tom was not only accused of covering up something like this but there was also solid proof, I would be seriously devastated. It would be very very hard to reconcile what I personally know and have experienced with what people were "saying". I wouldn't however disregard the evidence and blindly continue to support or excuse him.

And that's the difference.

Respond to this message   

(Login Appalled)
Angels

July 13 2012, 12:28 PM 

Kathleen, i guess if it was everything you knew about your father being disparaged, you'd just accept without question what the national media said about him, good for you!

I spent a lot of time in happy valley, sad to see an era end so awfully.

Anny, difference between what?

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
Angels

July 13 2012, 12:33 PM 

The difference between fanaticism and intelligence.

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
Angels

July 13 2012, 12:30 PM 

Hit post too quick

Are you actually saying the National Media might be wrong?

Respond to this message   

(Login Appalled)
Angels

July 13 2012, 12:37 PM 

No, but if it were my father or my husband I'd think they were wrong and demand proof, wouldn't you?

Anny, pity in my heart does not make me fanatical.

This is a heartless crowd.

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
Angels

July 13 2012, 12:38 PM 

I assume you also feel pity for the kids

Respond to this message   

(Login Appalled)
Angels

July 13 2012, 12:40 PM 

Thats a safe assumption, but the topic is JoPas reputation and career.

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
Angels

July 13 2012, 12:39 PM 

Oh, sorry Appy, you misunderstand. I wasn't calling you fanatical.

I am saying that besides someone in your family (your kid, your dad, etc) - like the general fans of PSU football - who blindly continue to refuse to hear the evidence, that is just lacking in intelligence and fanaticism at its worst.

See?

Respond to this message   

(Login Appalled)
Angels

July 13 2012, 12:43 PM 

Ah yeah and I agree there are so many PSU fanatics it's silly. The We Are PennState stuff is getting so old.

That being said I know two freshmen headed to happy valley in August.

Respond to this message   

'neady
(Login sinadie)
Devils

July 13 2012, 12:45 PM 

That "WE ARE...!" is so goddamn annoying.
I always want to finish with "going to get a punch to the throat if you don't shut up!"

Respond to this message   

Kathleen
(Login Kkathleen)
Angels

July 13 2012, 1:01 PM 

I have no idea how I'd feel if the national nedia were saying such things about my father. Horrified, I imagine, IF, in fact, I truly believed he knew nothing or if I believe he'd actually done everything he could have and should have to have Jerry Sandusky stopped sooner.

I find it hard to believe that Joe Paterno never confided in any member of his family what truly went on. Not one time, since 1998? Maybe he didn't. Just seems unlikely.

According to internal emails released to CNN and other news media outlets, the vice president of student affairs in charge of disciplining students said the following: "I am very troubled by the manipulative, disrespectful, uncivil and abusive behavior of our football coach...." She calls Paterno's behavior "atrocious" and said others are mimicking his behavior. "It is quite shocking what this man -- who is idolized by people everywhere -- is teaching our students..."

While I DO wonder why all this is being is released to the public...I mean, I don't really question it....it seems clear that the media is interested in smearing the guy's reputation even worse than his own inactions have done, but if the above is true, this wasn't such a great guy. And I guess it's the "WE ARE...." BS all over Facebook that's getting under my skin more than anything else. That blind fanaticism nonsense. It's beyond icky.

Respond to this message   

(Login orvis)
Angels

July 13 2012, 1:55 PM 

Look, the point is he doesn't deserve the legacy because of what he did and didn't do.

It is no different then if someone had walked on to the Penn State campus, and brutally beat a child, the school knew about it and did nothing. Think about that...there would be no debate if someone saw Jerry Sandusky beat a child - it would be reported and dealt with correctly.

Because it was sexual abuse, the powers that be felt uncomfortable - they didn't want to deal with the awkwardness of being associated with it. Not until there were names and faces to the abuse did we hear that people were sorry and wished they had done more.

Its the point - we allow ourselves to be taken in by the fables of these heroes, when in truth, real heroes don't ask for recognition, statues or buildings to be named after them while alive. Anything Paterno did that seemingly was to serve the community is now worth zip. Its is worth nothing because when it came time to truly be a hero...when it was hard...when it might involve sacrifice or damage to his professional record - he chose himself over children. And not just him, they all did.

Doing the right thing is not just when people are looking and can pat you on the back for it. Living life the right way means people may never know when you sacrificed...and you never ask them to do so.

That's a hero.

Somehow, I think if they all could have figured out a way they could have looked good, they would have reported the abuse quickly.

Respond to this message   
'neady
(no login)

July 13 2012, 2:01 PM 

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login Appalled)
Angels

July 13 2012, 2:31 PM 

And that's what's sad, PJ.

Respond to this message   

liu
(Login Livinitup)
Angels

July 17 2012, 11:21 AM 

Well said PJ... reading this thread I think of the statement that all it takes for evil to prevail is for good men (and women) to do nothing.

I'm sad for his family and sad for those who idolized him, however it seems that he was not the same man in front of a crowd as he was behind closed doors.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
Devils

July 17 2012, 12:27 PM 

ESPN reports:

The embattled members of Penn State's Board of Trustees quietly have decided to leave Joe Paterno's statue standing at least for now and, some hope, forever, according to sources with firsthand knowledge of the trustees' private discussions this week. The trustees' reluctance to remove the statue is motivated, in part, by a desire not to offend alumni and students who adore the late coach despite the damning findings of his role in the Jerry Sandusky child sexual abuse cover-up detailed in the Freeh report, the sources said.

---

Idiots. Rank idiots.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - The Freeh Report and JoePa - he knew as early as 1998
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!