<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!  

Squid's Crazy Files: Dialogue with LA Times Reporter

July 12 2012 at 2:17 PM

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

So, I recently read an article on the Great Whites swimming around Cape Cod while we were there by a reporter for the LA Times named Amy Hubbard. In it, she cited stats about 'unprovoked shark attacks' - and that bugs me, so I sent her the below.

-----
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 3:42 AM
To: Hubbard, Amy
Subject: Q: What is a "provoked" shark attack?

Dear Ms. Hubbard,

Thanks for your article about Shark encounters. In it you cite that "from 1876 to 2008 there were 346 unprovoked white shark attacks around the world."

What constitutes human provocation to a shark? Why, as a reader, is this distinction important to me? For example, if the total was 3000 attacks including provoked white shark attacks, I know Id love to know how NOT to provoke an attack. Why just white shark attack totals? Isn't it relevant to know how many attacks in total across all breeds of shark there are if you're talking about 'more people in the water, more interactions.'

My wife and I are very curious!

Also, much of the coverage I read misses the relatively recent protection of the seal population on the Cape and its resultant rebound as the obvious reason that the sharks come for the abundant food that abounds around Chatham.

I am very interested in the answer on the 'provocation' thing.

Thank you,

Squid Boy

My Town, MA

----

To which she responded:

----

Date: Jul 11 (1 day ago)

to: me

Hi mr. squid, that's a good point in this case, I was citing research and wanted to be careful to phrase it the way that it was phrased by the researchers. Here from the book "Global Perspectives on the Biology and Life History of the White Shark," which came out (I think) in Feb. of this year

Definition of Shark Attack

A shark attack for the purpose of this chapter follows the definitions of Cliff (1991, 2006), West (1996), and Burgess and Callahan (1996) as any unprovoked, physical contact between shark and victim or the victims diving equipment, if worn on the body, or the victims personal craft, even if the rider was uninjured. Such craft include a surfboard, body-board, sailboard, kiteboard, or surfski (resembles a long, narrow kayak) but exclude motorized or larger sailing craft. We have included attacks on spearfishers as unprovoked, although some researchers argue that the act of spearing fish may elicit an attack and thus should be regarded as provocation to do so.

----

Notice all the typos in her email to me! Not captializing 'Mr.' or "Squid"!! And the abrupt ending! Not answering all of my questions or even the main question really! But still, nice that she responded at all. So I replied:

----

Thanks Ms. Hubbard -

I guess I could have googled myself too - I found this on Wikipedia:

"Provoked attack
Provoked attacks occur when the human touches the shark, pokes it, teases it, spears, hooks, or nets it, or otherwise aggravates/provokes it in some way. Incidents that occur outside of a shark's natural habitat, e.g., aquariums and research holding-pens, are considered provoked, as are all incidents involving captured sharks. Sometimes humans inadvertently "provoke" an attack, such as when a surfer hits a shark with a surf board.

Unprovoked attack

Unprovoked attacks are initiated by the sharkthey occur in a shark's natural habitat on a live human and without human provocation. There are three subcategories of unprovoked attack:

Hit-and-run attack Usually non-fatal, the shark bites and then leaves; most victims do not see the shark. This is the most common type of attack and typically occurs in the surf zone or in murky water. Most hit-and-run attacks are believed to be the result of mistaken identity.
Sneak attack The victim will not usually see the shark, and may sustain multiple deep bites. This is the most fatal kind of attack and is not believed to be the result of mistaken identity.[35]
Bump-and-bite attack The shark circles and bumps the victim before biting. Repeated bites are not uncommon and can be severe or fatal. Bump-and-bite attacks are not believed to be the result of mistaken identity.

An incident occurred in 2011 when a 3-metre long great white shark jumped onto a 7-person research vessel off Seal Island, South Africa. The crew were undertaking a population study using sardines as bait, and the incident was judged to be an accident."

I also found out on that same page that "According to the International Shark Attack File (ISAF), between 1580 and 2011 there were 2,463 confirmed unprovoked shark attacks around the word." So when you add in those other breeds and up the time frame a little, a lot more people have been bitten by sharks!

Thanks for responding!

Squid

----

So there you go. HA!

This message has been edited by SquiddyBoy on Jul 12, 2012 2:23 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

Re: Squid's Crazy Files: Dialogue with LA Times Reporter

July 12 2012, 2:31 PM 

How funny and interesting! I was just musing about this very same thing on a thread earlier this week (I think it was this week). Did you know that?

It's cool she answered you but agreed that her reply didn't show well for her profession.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

July 12 2012, 2:32 PM 

HA! She responded!

----

When: 2:13 PM (13 minutes ago)
To: me

This makes me wonder: Who goes around poking sharks?

----

So I sent back:

----
Squid Boy
2:30 PM (0 minutes ago)
to Amy

HA! I know! Maybe Chuck Norris can get away with that, but the rest of us should realize that we drop pretty near to the bottom of the food chain the minute we step into the surf!

I guess it was technically a member of the Shark family (a stingray) that got the Crocodile Hunter in the end. He was definitely a shark-poker kind of guy. RIP Steve Irwin!

----

I love stuff like this! happy.gif

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

July 12 2012, 2:34 PM 

Nice! happy.gif

I get the impression her response was typed in a hurry. Looming deadlines with J. Jonah Jameson screaming at your from the other room and all

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

July 12 2012, 2:39 PM 

Yes, her last email inclines me to let her completely off the hook. She was treating me in a very friendly fashion, and therefore didn't bother with formalities.

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

July 12 2012, 2:46 PM 

She did capitalize the F in Feb happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Kohsblocks
(no login)

July 12 2012, 2:49 PM 

She probably doesn't work in an office, and typed the first (or all) from her iPhone, at a stoplight.

Respond to this message   
AnonoPajama
(no login)

July 12 2012, 3:10 PM 

Typing on iPhone at a stop light?? That's crazy talk. Suddenly slowing from 75 to 45 and veering across 3 lanes is how you type on an iPhone in the car. I mean, come on.

Respond to this message   

(Login DJ.)
AAA

July 12 2012, 3:21 PM 

I must admit to slightly annoying a few small sharks in my diving days. If I had been bitten it most definately would have been a provoked incident.

However, this constant gasping, shocked reaction to seeing sharks in the fucking ocean makes me mental.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

July 12 2012, 3:50 PM 

This image at Nausset Beach on Cape Cod was what sparked the article. This was pretty close to shore.

It's wicked Amity Island up on the Cape this summah! For frickin' REAL!

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

potato
(Login potato222)
AAA

July 12 2012, 4:04 PM 

Speaking of close to shore, did you guys see this one? Just happened in SC...

Respond to this message   

(Login DJ.)
AAA

July 12 2012, 4:06 PM 

I saw that today! So awesome. That was a BIG shark.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

July 12 2012, 4:29 PM 

Wow! That's incredible.

That's why they scare us so much. Just... outta nowhere! BAM!

And such a shitty way to go too!

Respond to this message   

(Login DJ.)
AAA

July 12 2012, 4:42 PM 

And they weren't fishing in the ocean. I love sharks and think they should be respected and protected but it's not fair some of them can live in fresh water. WTF?

Respond to this message   

jollyroger
(Login jollyroger317)
AAA

July 13 2012, 2:49 PM 

LOL @ It was all your fault! Why didn't you keep reeling?

Respond to this message   

Amber
(Login Amber633)
XXX

July 13 2012, 3:13 PM 

G was attacked by a shark while kyacking in the Florida Keys. Thankfully, that was before I knew him.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Squid's Crazy Files: Dialogue with LA Times Reporter
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!