<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!  

Books Made Into Movies...

July 13 2012 at 1:53 AM

(Login rainyz)
XXX

Rainy has started reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Rainy wants to read the book. She wants to be able to compare it to the movie like she did Jurassic Park. happy.gif

Do you guys like reading books that were made into movies before you see the movie?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login CashierGirl)
AAA

Re: Books Made Into Movies...

July 13 2012, 4:07 AM 

Sometimes. I read(listened actually) "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" and am glad I read it first. There's just no way they can do complete justice to the story in a movie.
I watched the first three Harry Potter movies before reading a single book. But without seeing and liking the movies, I prolly would have never read the books.
If I were to try and compare "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" movie with the book, I'd think to myself "WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU DONE WITH DOUGLAS ADAMS!" But look at them separately, and I can appreciate the movie for what it is.
I won't see the Hunger Games movies until I've read them.

Better to be a smart-ass than a dumb-ass.

Respond to this message   

'neady
(Login sinadie)
XXX

July 13 2012, 1:01 PM 

I loved Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. The movie was good too but I felt it was a little too fast paced. It had the scariest vampires I've ever seen in any vampire movie.
It's always really hard for me to form a more detailed opinion on a movie in which I've read the book because I know what's going to happen.

Respond to this message   

whitey
(Login whYtee)

July 13 2012, 2:53 PM 

It's long since been proven that movie versions of books blow considerably in comparison. It is simply impossible to tell as much of a story in 2 hours (ish) of video as can be done in a few hundred pages or whatever on paper. So the movie experience invariably falls short. Just ask Stephen King...

This not to say that, in certain cases, the movies aren't still good in their own right. Harry Potter is a great example.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is one recent disappointment that comes to mind. I spent more time telling DJ the story as we were watching than the movie did. The actual main character (the girl, derp) upon whom the entire trilogy is focused (the girl, derp) and that actually makes the books particularly interesting (the derp) is treated almost as an afterthought or aside. Why am I having to explain the significance of the TITLE CHARACTER?

And don't get me started on The Hitchhiker's Guide: one of the greatest stories ever told, and one of the best books ever written, and it has been subjected to more embarassingly horrid video bastardizations than one can count on both hands. Fail after fail after fail.

I have yet to see The Hunger Games, but after what I've heard thus far, I am not all that hopeful.

And though I was never really under vampires, I am certainly way over them. Can I perhaps get an ETA on when this fad will end?

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

July 13 2012, 2:56 PM 

Shawshank Redemption and Stand by Me are exceptions to the rule that Stephen King books suck as movies. IMO

Respond to this message   

(Login Appalled)
AAA

July 13 2012, 3:36 PM 

The Shining

Respond to this message   

(Login Lizzlee)
XXX

July 13 2012, 3:38 PM 

I think Misery was also well done.

Respond to this message   
Comet
(no login)

July 13 2012, 3:58 PM 

The orignal Carrie was well done.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

July 13 2012, 4:22 PM 

Fight Club is my favorite book to movie ever. I haven't read the Abraham Lincoln book, yet. I might have to check it out.

Respond to this message   

(Login DJ.)
AAA

July 13 2012, 4:23 PM 

All true, but in all the Stephen King movies only a handful have been decent to good. The rest are awful.

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

July 13 2012, 4:23 PM 

Yep. No way you could ever do justice to The Stand or It. No way.

Respond to this message   

'neady
(Login sinadie)
XXX

July 13 2012, 4:37 PM 

Autumn and I LOVE Carrie and quote it all the time but I've never read the book. Do you know they're currently filming a remake? Yeah pfffttt. With that girl from Kick Ass.
That Chloe Moretz sure is creepy and sinister (said noone ever).

Respond to this message   

Comet
(Login Comet9999)
AAA

July 13 2012, 5:15 PM 

I can't imagine that the remake will be better than the original or even compare to it.

Respond to this message   

(Login CanadianRaven)
AAA

July 13 2012, 5:53 PM 

I LOVED the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo movie, could not get through the book. Even the bf enjoyed the movie. Compared to last night we saw Vampire Hunter (which I didn't even know was a book) and he wanted to walk out in the first 5 minutes. I made him stay, but he checked his phone like 5 times. The movie was OK, nothing great, which may be why after only being out for 3 weeks, it closed at almost every theatre in the area here today.

Respond to this message   

whitey
(Login whYtee)

July 13 2012, 7:03 PM 

Surely we are all smart enough here to take the existence of exception for granted. My assertion, however, was not that King's movies suck on their own, but rather that they fall short of their written forebears. I maintain that such is the case across the board.

Yes, there are a number of King movies that are quite good, but the books are far, far better.

Here's hoping nobody ever tries to movicize The Dark Tower.

Respond to this message   

Appalled
(Login Appalled)
AAA

July 13 2012, 8:11 PM 

Best book to movie is Rosemary's Baby.

I'd like a game of thrones type show for the dark tower.

This message has been edited by Appalled on Jul 13, 2012 8:13 PM

Respond to this message   

Resident Sleepwalker
(Login Syrgot)
XXX

July 13 2012, 8:45 PM 

Respond to this message   

Louise
(Login jeez_louise)
AAA

July 15 2012, 3:07 PM 

I read Push, by Sapphire, then saw the movie (Precious). Both of them were fantastic (although to me the book was better - I got all annoyed at Mariah Carey's character in the film because they added the whole "what ethnicity are you" thing just to indulge her old saw of "I'm every ethnicity" that she's been hauling out at practically every interview since 1989).

Anyway now I'm reading the sequel, "The Kid", and it is traumatizing me.

Respond to this message   

(Login Smirkdirk)
XXX

July 16 2012, 9:25 AM 

I always thought that The Silence of the Lambs is a shining example of an exception to the rule that the books are always superior to the movies. That movie rocked. The book was a generic piece of shit.

Respond to this message   
Bob
(Login Pretend_Name)

July 16 2012, 9:37 AM 

I wanted to hate To Kill a Mockingbird but Gregory Peck makes that impossible.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

July 16 2012, 1:35 PM 

Why did you want to hate it?

Respond to this message   
Bob
(Login Pretend_Name)

July 16 2012, 1:49 PM 

Book snob. No other reason, really.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

July 16 2012, 2:01 PM 

I remember reading TKAMB in 9th grade English, and then watching the movie in class for the first time after.

It was among my first book-to-movie experiences (where I read something myself critically then watched the film). It blew me away, and has been with few exceptions, all down hill from there.

Respond to this message   

Resident Sleepwalker
(Login Syrgot)
XXX

July 16 2012, 10:47 PM 

Dexter is an example of a film adaptation which is better than the book.

In fact - after reading the first 30 pages of that steaming pile of shit I was amazed anyone saw anything worthwhile in it, let alone a wicked awesome TV show (well, until season 5, at least...)

Herpes is a gift that doesn't say "I love you.". -Hep C

Respond to this message   

whitey
(Login whYtee)

July 17 2012, 12:42 PM 

A television series is an entirely different story. They have plenty of time (unless, of course, it gets cancelled) in which to more comprehensively tell a story. Consider the likely result of trying to condense Dexter or True Blood into 100 minutes, though.

Respond to this message   

(Login Tamrahh)

July 19 2012, 7:27 PM 

Okay, when recounting momentous Bored events, nobody mentioned that Rainy has turned into Bob Dole - Tamrah wants to know when you started talking about yourself in the third person!?

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

July 19 2012, 8:34 PM 

She's always done that. Welcome back happy.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login Lizzlee)
XXX

July 19 2012, 8:36 PM 

We have embraced Rainy and all her Rainyness. She passed the test.

Respond to this message   

(Login Tamrah)
AAA

July 19 2012, 8:44 PM 

Oh, I know that!  I embraced Rainy's precipitation long ago, too!  But that won't stop Tamrah from teasing her!

Respond to this message   

(Login Lizzlee)
XXX

July 19 2012, 8:47 PM 

In that case, Lizzlee tells Tamrah to get on with her bad self!

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Books Made Into Movies...
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!