<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!  

Anyone ever try fasting?

September 5 2012 at 2:09 PM

$8.00  (Login 8_Bucks)
AAA

I'm trying a three day fast. Mostly to see if I possess the willpower.

I'm halfway there, and all I can think about us food. I fell asleep last night thinking of food.

Go ahead.... Post your pictures of delicious food

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

Re: Anyone ever try fasting?

September 5 2012, 2:10 PM 

Fasting? You mean eating nothing or drinking juice or what?

Respond to this message   
Anonowanger
(no login)

September 5 2012, 2:13 PM 

It's a good way to gain 5lbs you didn't have before you started.

Are you trying to kick your body into whatevery-science-term so you can go on an all bacon diet? Atkins died, ya know. Fell out and cracked his head open, the poor, cholesterol-laden chap.

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

September 5 2012, 2:17 PM 

After I watched Fat, Sick And Nearly Dead I tried the juice fast.

I made it 14 days before I caved. The hunger goes away after about 3 days and I just missed chewing food.

I normally do a 3-day cleanse once a year.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

September 5 2012, 2:18 PM 

I once had my mouth wired shut and was on a liquid diet for 2 weeks. And yeah, ya miss the chewing.

Respond to this message   
Anonowanger
(no login)

September 5 2012, 2:23 PM 

That cleanse thing is total bullshit. I've seen women mix up hot sauce and apple juice or some stupid crap and suck on it for a couple of days. I think that's been debunked about 100 ways from Sunday. Our liver and kidneys cleanse us. It's what they do.

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

September 5 2012, 2:20 PM 

I considered that as well, Hep. 2 weeks eh? It's crazy impressive how long he lasted.

Do you ever incorporate into your day now?

Respond to this message   

(Login DJ.)
AAA

September 5 2012, 2:21 PM 

I would never be so mean

May Steak Dinner to Benefit The Sno-Valley Senior Center

as to post yummy food

nachos1.jpg

To someone who's starving

Easy Chocolate Cake

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

September 5 2012, 2:23 PM 

OMG those nachos look AMAZING!

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

September 5 2012, 3:45 PM 

I've twice done "The Apple Diet" - which was a fast a local professor did himself annually to clean out his bowels.

At some point you're just pooping string. And I swear other things are coming along with it. I've always felt better after doing it.

I haven't done it in about 6 years. Maybe it's time again!

I was just reading the internet about apple diets - and the apple fast isn't listed as a crazy one that will kill you, nor has it been truly demonstrated to help you live longer.

One interesting thing I saw though, was the simple idea of eating an apple before starting any meal. That it'll fill you up with fiber and water, and therefore you'll eat less at the meal.

That sounds pretty interesting to me! I'm definitely going to try that.

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

September 5 2012, 2:26 PM 

Not really on purpose, but in the past I've not eaten for a few days before due to depression. By the third day I was hallucinating and decided I better eat.

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

September 5 2012, 2:41 PM 

After about a week you really start to realize how much of our daily rituals center around the act of eating.

I don't incorporate it into my regular routine but I do a 3-Day cleanse once a year.

Respond to this message   
Appalled
(no login)

September 5 2012, 2:52 PM 

When I'm depressed I crave sugar and fried foods.

I could never fast, I have no willpower and get terrible headaches if I go too long without eating.

Even though I hate Rachel Ray, I've had great success with this nacho recipe

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/super-nachos-recipe/index.html

Respond to this message   

jo
(Login Cuppajo)
XXX

September 5 2012, 3:37 PM 

I don't think I could fast.

The few times I've had to have blood work done on an empty stomach damn near did me in.

No food for me in 12 hours - I will take hostages

Respond to this message   
niceblue
(no login)

September 5 2012, 3:51 PM 

I have never willingly fasted, however, have tried eating completely raw foods. That is where I learned, same as Hep, so much of our day is devoted to food preparation.

Good luck to you $8! happy.gif

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

September 5 2012, 4:17 PM 

Anon is right, cleansing and fasts have been debunked just like multi vitamins have been debunked as having any use what-so-ever but people still take them. I can't imagine juicing or adding veggies to a protein shake would be bad for you and lord knows people don't have enough variety of veggies in their diet...

That always makes me think...

I imagine early man, whether he was in the Garden of Eden or in the caves, didn't have much variety in his diet at all. Today we have the most variety of food ever available in history, with fresh and frozen foods coming in from all over.

If you just look at a normal diet, not the 24/7 fast food diet, where people eat a little bit of a lot of things, is that not enough variety? Are we really supposed to be eating something from each colour of food possible as far as vegetables? Early man never had access to this variety, how could our bodies be evolved so that we NEED this variety nutritionally?

Is it our brains that need all this because man hasn't changed much since the Industrial Revolution and yet we are being told that to be optimally healthy we need all this variety. Let's not even account for the milk and wheat lobbies that affect the shape of the food pyramid or plate or whatever it's called now. I mean early man was either eating only whole grains because it was all he could grow or eating none because cattle were eating it.

Do you know what I mean?

Respond to this message   
nicoblue
(no login)

September 5 2012, 4:26 PM 

From the research I have done it has more to do with less nutrients in our produce stemming from soil depletion.

Respond to this message   

Lisa
(Login lovebird8)
AAA

September 5 2012, 4:20 PM 

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it said, "Anyone ever try farting?

I tried a juice fast once. Once. Didn't even make it 24 hours. I think fasting is kind of like religion. It works for some people, not so much for others.

Respond to this message   

Funk
(Login Funkenstien)
XXX

September 5 2012, 4:27 PM 

Multivitamins have been debunked? I'd like to see that information. I don't eat as balanced of a diet as I should and rely on multivitamins to fill in any gaps. They help me because I have more energy and am more wakeful after I take them.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

September 5 2012, 4:35 PM 

Yeah, I've never seen a definitive debunking of multi's. Would love to see backup for that...

Respond to this message   

(Login lovebird8)
AAA

September 5 2012, 4:36 PM 

Yeah, I take multi-vitamins too. I think we need a different diet than early man did because we've evolved. Different body = different needs, no?

Scientists/doctors/whoever still don't really know everything. I'd like to know more about the vitamin thing as well.

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

September 5 2012, 4:40 PM 

I will do my best to find the link but I do remember the quote saying no matter how many times people hear that vitamins do no good from their drs, it's consistently ignored.

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

September 5 2012, 4:46 PM 

That's the thing, Lisa, once we started walking upright I don't think we have changed all that much, no?

Maybe you have a deficiency not related to diet, Ginny. My friend has an iron deficiency unrelated to diet.

Respond to this message   
'neady
(no login)

September 5 2012, 4:39 PM 

Lisa, I thought it said fisting .

What?
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

September 5 2012, 4:43 PM 

All I know is, after about a month of using a good quality vitamin my nails and hair look a TON better.

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

September 5 2012, 4:44 PM 

LOL! 'neady! Me too happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Soozin
(no login)

September 5 2012, 5:00 PM 

this thread is good timing!

I'm looking for a vitamin to give my step-kid. Even though I cook some seriously awesome shit with freaking GOOD ingredients, the kid will only eat a handful of things:

Generally any meat with BBQ sauce. NO FAT.
Processed breaded frozen chicken strips/nuggets.
Cheese or pepperoni pizza.
Watermelon.
Corn.
Carrots.
Green grapes.
M&Ms.
Plain ham & american cheese sandwiches.
Cornbread.
Cherry pop-tarts.
3 sugary cereals.
Tater-tots. (No other potato thing)
Vanilla or cookies-n-cream ice cream only.

I learned last night that she'll eat sweet potato fries, but she won't go near a sweet potato.

She doesn't totally gorge on crap, so I'm not too worried, but she doesn't eat anything green (grapes don't count), so I wondered if I can get her some vitamins in her in the form of a fruit-flavored chewy thing. (Although, I'm sure she'd waste half the flavors from pickiness, anyway.)

Any recos?

Respond to this message   

(no login)

September 5 2012, 5:07 PM 

See, i disagree Arwen. As we know there is evidence out there to support both sides of almost every opinion.

My doctor recommends vitamins, as does my sister's and SIL's.

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

September 5 2012, 5:11 PM 

I've been taking these and they are the first vitamins I've ever taken that didn't make me puke, and I saw some noticable results. They probably have a gummy version.

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-Maximum-Potency-Tablets/dp/B003B3OOP0

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

September 5 2012, 5:14 PM 

The dosage on them is 3 but I only take 2, unless there's a bug around the office or something.

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

September 5 2012, 5:21 PM 

My doctor hadn't heard that multi-vitamins have been "thoroughly debunked". She suggested I take one.

I'll let her know how wrong she was on my next appointment.

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

September 5 2012, 5:27 PM 

Is there a television doctor in the house?

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

September 5 2012, 5:28 PM 

The most negative thing a doctor has ever said to me about vitamins is "Eh, couldn't hurt".

Respond to this message   
Soozin
(no login)

September 5 2012, 5:49 PM 

thanks, Ginny - I'll look for that. But she also doesn't LOVE swallowing pills, so if it's not a delicious gummy, I have low expectations that she'll stick with it.

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

September 5 2012, 5:54 PM 

I saw a gummy version, but it was for kids. I think she can probably take adult vitamins.

Respond to this message   

Lizzlee
(Login Lizzlee)
XXX

September 5 2012, 6:55 PM 

Here's my knee-jerk reaction to the step-kid thing:

"Well, of course you have a choice! You can either swallow this (these?) vitamin each morning, or you can eat broccoli with your dinner every night. Let me know which to stock up on!"

Respond to this message   
$8.00
(no login)

September 5 2012, 8:22 PM 

I did no food, just water for 2 days. But I turned into a giant asshole, so had to have food.

Respond to this message   

(Login CashierGirl)
AAA

September 5 2012, 8:30 PM 

My depression takes the track of Food=HappyLove for the most part (thus my size). But from time to time due to financial reasons, I've basically done the equivalent of Ramadan (nothing during daylight hours). Can't do it anymore. Wreaks havoc on my digestive system. And I know that if my hands are shaking so much that I cant even sleep, thats a bad sign.

Better to be a smart-ass than a dumb-ass.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

September 5 2012, 8:34 PM 

Man... people who lived through famines and wars with no food were so lucky. They got to cleanse their system without the annoyance of food being around.

Respond to this message   
Lea
(no login)

September 5 2012, 10:03 PM 

In the same vein as this but slightly different is that my mother's cardiologist told me the other day that nicotine patches do not work and that the only thing that works for stopping smoking is just stopping. Seems like he would have at LEAST given her a prescription if for nothing else but a placebo effect.

I tried fasting once for about an hour. For me, it seems as though as soon as I decide to go on any sort of restriction diet my cravings ramp up about 500%. I have a friend that fasts occasionally. It seems to work for her. I can tell a difference in her skin and eyes. She seems brighter after a fast. However, she is a vegan (strict) and does not eat garbage ever so her regular diet is like a fast for some people.

I might could make it through a raw foods fasts if I had some guidance and a support group.

Respond to this message   
Kathleen
(no login)

September 5 2012, 10:25 PM 

Hmmmmm....about the nicotine patch.

I tried to quit smoking, cold turkey, in 2008. I lasted less than two weeks and was a raving beeyotch the whole time.

I tried again on December 11, 2009, this time using the patch. I started with the strongest dose and the name brand stuff. It made me even more jittery than cigarettes had, at first, and I HATED it but I stuck it out. I downgraded dosage as recommended and once I got to the mid-level strength, I started using Target brand to save money. And I was really barely irritable.

I don't know if it was all in my head or maybe I just wasn't ready to quit before, but personally, I feel like I couldn't have done it without the patch and that it worked 110%.

Respond to this message   
Ginny
(no login)

September 5 2012, 11:00 PM 

Yeah, that sounds like advice from someone who has never had to quit smoking. Cold turkey works for some people. For a lot of people it doesn't, though.

Respond to this message   
Anonowanger
(no login)

September 6 2012, 7:55 AM 

The multivitamins - it's not that they're total crap, it's that people tend to overdo it/don't get checked out to find out where they may have a deficiency and act accordingly. Prenatal vitamins can to wonders for nails and hair. Folate is good for embyros. There are plenty of facts out there to be found.

The big but is, there is no substitute for a healthy diet and exercise. Michael Pollan will tell you this, if that's your thing. Nobody's getting scurvy or pellagra anymore. Fasting though? It's not beneficial. Your body starts storing fat in reaction to the shock of no food, then when you do eat, you're going to overdo it. You deserve it, right? It's counterproductive.

In his charming way, Hep is ultimately right. Talk to your doctor before you load up on giant pills and kill some fish down river. We have enough people taking unnecessary prescription drugs without loading up on something the FDA doesn't regulate. Scary.

Respond to this message   

(Login Hepatitis_C)
AAA

September 6 2012, 8:37 AM 

Sound advice from the guy that usually says, "YOU FUCKING CUNTS!"

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

September 6 2012, 8:41 AM 

On the patch: I was NOT really ready to quit - meaning I knew I needed to but didn't really want to - and the patch 100% totally worked for me. It kept me from caving, it kept me from being [more of] an insufferable asshole to everyone I know, and for the first try in seven years, got me to what in three days will be 8 months. Huge fan of the patch.

On vitamins: I've definitely heard that 'Americans have the most expensive pee on Earth' about vitamins, but I've also heard the "it couldn't hurt," "We don't really know," etc. I irregularly eat two gummies when I think of it.

If part of health is peace of mind, those gummies help with that, so I'll stick with it.

Respond to this message   
Anonowanger
(no login)

September 6 2012, 8:54 AM 

There's Hep with that magnetic charm again. It's like 10lbs of fun in a 5lb bag.

I intentionally stayed away from the pee thing because it's pretty hotly debated. However, you could run with the "septic tank cleaners that find the bottom lined with undigested multivitamin pills" story, instead. Not nearly as destructive to the septic systems as plastic tampon applicators, so that's a relief.

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

September 6 2012, 9:11 AM 

The patch definitely works. It's used to deliver other drugs besides nicotine; painkillers for the elderly for example. It's a proven dosing method.

But it won't quit for you. Maybe he's seen many people try to quit with it and fail. That doesn't mean it doesn't work. The patch does what it's intended to do.

Respond to this message   
Lea
(no login)

September 6 2012, 9:23 AM 

I was quite dumbfounded to be honest. I just stood there and said, "oh okay." I had been up since 4:30 that morning and was not up for a question/answer session on nicotine patches with a cardiologist. Nor did he appear to have the time to spend with me. I guess he had to go clear another artery and scooted on down the hallway. When he walked away I said out loud, "I just stood there and let him tell me nicotine patches do not work, didnt I?" I glanced over at the woman sitting two chairs down and she just smirked at me.

Respond to this message   
Anonowanger
(no login)

September 6 2012, 9:27 AM 

You better be damn sure you're putting them down unless you feel like having an infarction. And I'm sure the idea that you're getting nicotine helps, whatever the dosage is.

Birth control patches were pretty hotly debated. Negative side effects are common in all drugs, but this method of dispensing may not be the best way. Too much of a "good" thing and all that.

Respond to this message   
Anonowanger
(no login)

September 6 2012, 9:30 AM 

There was a recent Harvard study on this, apparently, and I think he did mean that there's not magic bullet. If it works for you, great. But smokers also lie a lot.

From an article on it:

In the past, nicotine-replacement products have been effective in helping people quit smoking in the short term. However, this effectiveness seems to be restricted to a clinical setting in the real world, surveyed smokers using over-the-counter nicotine replacement products receive little benefit from the products.

The new study, which was published in the journal Tobacco Control earlier this month, also shows that nicotine replacement coupled with professional counselling offers no benefit for smokers looking to quit.

Csiernik sheds light on why relapse in smokers might be high, noting that factors affecting relapse are multidimensional. Contributing factors to relapse can be categorized along three dimensionsbiological, psychological and social, Csiernik says.

For smokers, the biological reasons relate to dependency liability, which relates to method of administration and the half life of nicotine combined with the behavioural reinforcement of the routine of smoking [and] socio-cultural context, he expands.

Post-secondary students are particularly influenced by stress and intensive tobacco marketing strategies. Health Canadas most recent statistics show that 12 per cent of Canadians between ages 15 and 19 smoke and 22 per cent of Canadians between ages 20 and 24 smoke. Programs such as Leave the Pack Behind acknowledge the prevalence of smoking in young adults and offer support.

The bottom line is that there is no simple resolution to drug addiction. How can you expect to resolve an issue that at a minimum takes months [or] more often years to develop in days or weeks or by [using] a stick of gum or a spray? Csiernik asks.

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

September 6 2012, 9:36 AM 

Well, to hell with it. Why bother quitting.

Respond to this message   
Moriarty
(no login)

September 6 2012, 9:47 AM 

That's the spirit!

You and Hep should get together and form the Ten Pounds of Fun in a Five Pound Bag Club, or TPFFPBC. What a riot that would be. Your seal would be an image of some guy shaking his fists at the heavens with a thought bubble, WHY CAN'T THESE IDIOTS SEE HOW RIGHT I AM, ALL THE TIME.

Beautiful.

This message has been edited by SquiddyBoy on Sep 6, 2012 10:03 AM

Respond to this message   
CapsLock
(no login)

September 6 2012, 9:58 AM 

Well, I used to smoke so you could never trust a word I said. But now I don't, so you can take it to the bank when I tell you, you're the one who's coming off a little angry.

Respond to this message   

(Login SquiddyBoy)
XXX

September 6 2012, 10:03 AM 

Lay off the sauce anon. It's not even noon yet!

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Anonowanger
(no login)

September 6 2012, 10:07 AM 

Ever lie about it? Yeah, me too.

I guess next time I'll sky write IF IT WORKS FOR YOU GREAT. Meanwhile, here's maybe why a cardiologist rolled his eyes and walked away.

Squid, that guy is clearly stoned. Unless he's using a vaporizer, I think that image is counter to this discussion. Yeah, yeah, no chemicals. Still got burning stuff in lungs, so there's that.

Respond to this message   

Anny
(Login AnnyBoo)
AAA

September 6 2012, 2:05 PM 

As to fasting - like Ginny, not as a plan. My normal appetite goes through cycles and I am pretty in tune with it. I eat when I am hungry and I eat what I am hungry for. I find that if I listen to my body, I end up with an okay balanced diet (as in, okay for me). Shockingly, sometimes I will go through a period where I crave a salad (VEGGIES! IKR?!).

There are periods of time for up to 4 days or so where I will just be "off" food. And I won't eat. I do notice that my water and juice consumption tends to go up during these times. My weight doesn't yo-yo though. Pretty steady there. I know I COULD fast, but like I said, I wouldn't do it on purpose.

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
AAA

September 6 2012, 2:12 PM 

re: "I irregularly eat two gummies when I think of it."

Not to be a pain, but do you really think that schedule provides you with any benefits?

I agree with the anon that said that people are taking vitamins without even knowing if they are deficient in anything. Most Canadians are deficient in D and should take that. I see nothing wrong with taking prenatal vitamins for hair and nail - have you heard that biotin does the same thing, maybe that's the same as some of the contents of pre-natal vitamins, not sure.

I was just quoting an article that I read that I can't find happy.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login lovebird8)
AAA

September 6 2012, 2:50 PM 

For several years anytime I took any type of supplement (vitamin, echinacea, etc) I would get nasty cold symptoms afterward. Then I tried women's vitamins from GNC, and I didn't get any negative reactions. I take them mainly to get calcium.

Respond to this message   
Soozin
(no login)

September 6 2012, 2:58 PM 

Lizz (from WAY up there) - How I would LOVE to force-feed this kid, but as step-mom, I really can only make passive-aggressive suggestions. Plus, she's 15 and kind of past force-feeding. I always put a few veggies on her plate in case she's in the mood to try them (usually she does), but she never likes them, so meh. Her dad has "divorced parent syndrome" (something I made up from observation of divorced parents) and has a hard time making/enforcing rules. BUUUUUT, that's enough for another thread, probably.

I was just prescribed pre-natal vitamins (no, not pregnant), but just because. I got them, and opened them. OH MAH GAWD. I have never seen such a huge pill. It's red, and soft, and looks like a giant torpedo. I have a hair-trigger gag-reflex (I know, shut it) and started gagging a little just looking at it. Haven't even attempted to take one yet.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Anyone ever try fasting?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Start!